Recruiting AFL Trade & Free Agency XI - McKay. Goldstein. Gresham. Duursma!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just get the feeling we’ve missed on McKay. Nothing with proper substance has said so but too many posts and whispers saying that he’s landed on the hawks.

Bit of a stinger, not because I think McKay is the answer to our premiership hopes but that if he signs for a 6 year deal and we also offered a 6 year deal then we are just so far and away from being a destination club that we once were, our appeal of playing in big games, being such a big club, worst class facilities and having cash to burn means sweet FA lol. Ahwell, hope I’m wrong but gut feel is hawks.
i agree, we have become irrelevant due to be being shit for 20 years. Gunna be another decade of this unfortunately

Potential ins this off-season:

Ben McKay
Jade Gresham
Todd Goldstein
Kai Lohmann
James Jordon
James Harmes
Travis Boak
1st round pick
2nd round pick

A mix of these would certainly improve our list. Anyone else on the radar?

Just get the feeling we’ve missed on McKay. Nothing with proper substance has said so but too many posts and whispers saying that he’s landed on the hawks.

Bit of a stinger, not because I think McKay is the answer to our premiership hopes but that if he signs for a 6 year deal and we also offered a 6 year deal then we are just so far and away from being a destination club that we once were, our appeal of playing in big games, being such a big club, worst class facilities and having cash to burn means sweet FA lol. Ahwell, hope I’m wrong but gut feel is hawks.
I look at this through a different lens. I think for the first time in a very long our club is making the right decisions around contracts of our current listed players and also players looking to play for us. I can't see us offering McKay a longer deal than Parish or Merrett. I think our club has enough to offer outside of money and contract length. WE are finally setting standards and expectations around what it looks like to play for our great club. We are a massive club, with a massive following and we play in some of the biggest home and away crowds in the competition. We play majority at the MCG etc etc.... Now if McKay decides to play for the Hakes because they offered the biggest $$$ or longest contract, then he isn't the right player for us. His values don't align with ours and doesn't fit the new culture our club is trying to build. Of course this is just my opinion but its a great discussion point. Go Dons!!

Ben McKay
Jade Gresham
Todd Goldstein
Kai Lohmann
James Jordon
James Harmes
Travis Boak
1st round pick
2nd round pick

Think you can cross boak off that list. We havnt ever been linked to him, he’s just a player our fans would like to get across. He’s also come out and said it’s port or nothing just the other day following his exit meeting.

Ben McKay
Jade Gresham
Todd Goldstein
Kai Lohmann
James Jordon
James Harmes
Travis Boak
1st round pick
2nd round pick

Interesting thing about this list is no key forwards, and it’s a clear need.

Probably assume it’s just the market/who is available, rather than us not prioritising it.

I look at this through a different lens. I think for the first time in a very long our club is making the right decisions around contracts of our current listed players and also players looking to play for us. I can't see us offering McKay a longer deal than Parish or Merrett. I think our club has enough to offer outside of money and contract length. WE are finally setting standards and expectations around what it looks like to play for our great club. We are a massive club, with a massive following and we play in some of the biggest home and away crowds in the competition. We play majority at the MCG etc etc.... Now if McKay decides to play for the Hakes because they offered the biggest $$$ or longest contract, then he isn't the right player for us. His values don't align with ours and doesn't fit the new culture our club is trying to build. Of course this is just my opinion but its a great discussion point. Go Dons!!

I look at that view too,I do.
but if we’re offering 6 years which has been reported and he signs for 6 with the hawks
the money can’t be too far apart. And if it’s on a equal playing field we should win that battle every day of the week against the hawks!
Makes ya think what the debacle of a last 2 weeks of the season can do haha. But you make some very great points also, can’t argue with any of them.

We need a key defender so bad, not sure who else is out there.
Not sold on Baldwin playing on the monsters

I look at that view too,I do.
but if we’re offering 6 years which has been reported and he signs for 6 with the hawks
the money can’t be too far apart. And if it’s on a equal playing field we should win that battle every day of the week against the hawks!
Makes ya think what the debacle of a last 2 weeks of the season can do haha. But you make some very great points also, can’t argue with any of them.

We need a key defender so bad, not sure who else is out there.
Not sold on Baldwin playing on the monsters
I think we need more defensive mids and forwards. We need to play a better team defensive game style. Our backs don't get a chance to set up behind the ball so therefore the ball is coming in very fast, very accurate so it makes defending almost impossible. If we made it hard for teams to score against us or should I say - hard to move the ball against us, our backline would like and function a lot better. I'm happy to trade in a stop gap full back while Reid and Cox develop. I would like to see Reid at FB and Cox at CHB to be honest. I think we need to trade in players that are winners/fighters, blue collar hard working tackling machines, without flare or X factor. Just role players who do this for the team. 2 big mids who block and tackle. 2 forwards who tackle and apply pressure. Oh and we ideally need a player or two who are elite in contested marking lol, so yeah a lot to work in in my opinion :)....

Ben McKay
Jade Gresham
Todd Goldstein
Kai Lohmann
James Jordon
James Harmes
Travis Boak
1st round pick
2nd round pick

we'll be lucky to get 1 of those players! 😂 And the draft picks mean nothing as its basically a raffle

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seems we have missed on mckay, our backline is truly stuffed now.
Now? All seriousness, I'm not super fussed if we miss out. We have options who hardly featured this year who could impact in 2024, Reid, Hayes, Baldwin and Weideman can cover. It's not a premiership standard backline but it's not meant to be yet.

It's on the midfield to make our backline improve, the back 6 need support.

He's not that good. Would rather not overpay for him which the Hawks are

Just means we’ll overpay for Gresham. What else are we gonna do with all that cash, dodoro will wanna go out with some sort of bang! Lol can see us trading for dougal

At least now we absolutely have to play Baldwin!

cues the Sam Weideman music

Just means we’ll overpay for Gresham. What else are we gonna do with all that cash, dodoro will wanna go out with some sort of bang! Lol can see us trading for dougal
Howard is solid and wouldn't cost the world. Is also a very good kick unlike McKay

Interesting Jon Ralph suggesting someone has offered McKay a 7 year deal almost certainly the Hawks. Don't really like contracts that long hope we don't fall into that trape and get dudded by it if we match
Pass. I'd rather battle through with Baldwin and Laverde, then play for a big KPD at the end of '24. / warchest / high draft pick

Pass. I'd rather battle through with Baldwin and Laverde, then play for a big KPD at the end of '24. / warchest / high draft pick
By the end of ‘24 who knows how Reid/Hayes/even Cox are looking also.

For what it’s worth I think we have one with Hayes. Just needs muscle.

SEN reporting that McKay has chosen Hawthorn
That’s not a bad thing tbh. If we got him we take it, but he ain’t worth what he’s getting offered. A big key back that can’t defend and can’t kick, he’s literally a worse aliir aliir. I’d rather us just let our young blokes try and make the back line theirs, if they can get on the park.

Last edited:
If we end up as:

In: 9 (Post McKay), 28, 31, 37, 46, Lohmann, Gresham, Goldstein and Howard
Out: Shiel (feel like he's gonna go), Zerk-Thatcher, Snelling, Stewart, Lord, Phillips, Montgomerie, Voss, McBride, Walla and Munkara

With someone like Parker as a Cat B I'd be happy. Snelling and Voss I think will be lucky to get retained at this point. I'd still be trying to get Hollands or Davies from GC for one of those second rounders though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back