AFL's Under 23 AA team

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 5, 2007
AFL Club
Geelong
under23AllAustv3.jpg
Just listed. What do you think - fair, not fair?

I don't know some of them TBH many, but I'm glad to see Mitch and Mots and local boy Jack Steven in there.

Edit: Mitch stiff I reckon.

Loving the fact that they have 12 pure midfielders named, said no one ever. Also Rampe... over Guthrie??? This is a rubbish team. Mullett needs to be named on a half back flank and there should be at max 5 mids on field and 2 on the bench.

It's under 23 before round 1 (or jan 1st not sure)

But this team was put out a week ago
It's not even a real team, it's a journalist writing his thoughts

Why are people taking it so serious

It's under 23 before round 1 (or jan 1st not sure)

Yeah, if it was picked the same as an underage side (U18s for example), it's the fair enough to have guys who turned 23 during the year. It must be Round 1, otherwise Beams would have to get a spot. Is Duncan stiff? A little, I guess, but not really. That side has gun mids everywhere (including a B&F winner in the 'unlucky' list). I'd say Bundy is more stiff not to even make the unlucky group (I'd have him marginally ahead of Duncan at this point in their careers), but you can't fit everyone in. The most fortunate players to me are probably Rampe (wouldn't have had a problem with Guthrie taking this spot. He's a lot younger, he's been doing it for longer and I can't imagine a guy of Guthrie's age playing the stopper role as a small defender any better than he's doing it right now) and Thompson (been good, but surely Talia gets the nod?).

And this deserves a category of its own: Zac Clarke must have been a mistake. He's a decent player, sure...but...um...Naitanui is younger than him? I'd even have Tom Nicholls ahead of Clarke on what he's shown early in his career.

If you want to show the AFL that they made a few mistakes with the above selections here is your chance - just saw tweeted by the club:

The 2013 AFL season has seen a new generation of superstars make their mark on the competition and to celebrate, the AFL Players’ Association has launched a new concept recognising the best young talent in the competition.

22under22 is a concept acknowledging the best players aged 22 and under for the 2013 season.

The AFL Players’ Association Board, led by President Luke Ball has picked a preliminary squad of 40 players comprised of 12 defenders, 14 midfielders, 12 forwards and two rucks, from which fans can vote via Twitter and Facebook to decide the final 22...
..Voting opens via Facebook on August 21 and closes on September 4, while fans can vote via Twitter from the 27th -31st August.

To vote, visit AFLPlayers on Facebook or follow @AFLPlayers on Twitter.
2013 22under22 squad

Defenders
1. Rory Thompson
2. Daniel Talia
3. Jake Carlisle
4. Steele Sidebottom
5. Paul Seedsman
6. Jordan Roughead
7. Trent McKenzie
8. Aaron Mullet
9. Dylan Roberton
10. Mitch Golby
11. Clancee Pearce
12. Brandon Ellis

Forwards
1. Allen Christensen
2. Jack Darling
3. Dustin Martin
4. Steven Motlop
5. Luke Bruest
6. Jeremy Cameron
7. Jack Gunston
8. Aaron Black
9. Michael Walters
10. Jamie Elliot
11. Luke Dahlhaus
12. Chad Wingard

Midfielders
1. Dan Hannebery
2. Jaeger O’Meara
3. Nathan Fyfe
4. Luke Parker
5. Ollie Wines
6. Dion Prestia
7. Ben Cunnington
8. Tom Liberatore
9. Jack Ziebell
10. Jack Redden
11. Adam Treloar
12. Mitch Duncan
13. Tom Mitchell
14. Dyson Heppell

Ruck
1. Mark Blicavs
2. Tom Nicholls

4 Cats nominated: Bundy, Motlop, Duncan & Blitz

full info: http://www.geelongcats.com.au/news/2013-08-20/four-cats-nominated-for-best-u22-side

Sidebottom a defender? And Guthrie is so underrated its ridiculous. Easily the best young small defender in the comp. No one else comes close. I mean its not like he kept Josh Hill to 3 touches, a goal (not even kicked while Guthrie was on him) and a monstrous 8 SC points. Deserves a hell of a lot more recognition, but it seems that only the flashy players get it.

Sidebottom a defender? And Guthrie is so underrated its ridiculous. Easily the best young small defender in the comp. No one else comes close. I mean its not like he kept Josh Hill to 3 touches, a goal (not even kicked while Guthrie was on him) and a monstrous 8 SC points. Deserves a hell of a lot more recognition, but it seems that only the flashy players get it.

I totally agree - he was the one I was most disappointed to see miss from the Cats.
Well done to Blitz to get one of 2 ruck nominations, but that could be more out of necessity due to lack of options than actually one of the best 2 rucks for his age; but I would happily swap Blitz's nomination for Guthrie to have a spot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL's Under 23 AA team

Remove this Banner Ad

Back