Remove this Banner Ad

Eshay187

Premium Platinum
Apr 26, 2012
Grill
AFL Club
Sydney
“Death, taxes, and Alastair Clarkson not believing in rebuilds”

This was the live on air analysis after the Hawks suffered their 4th loss on the trot, this week to the worst Swans team to take the park in 15 years, if not since 1993. Average player age a generation apart.

No one can deny the man’s legacy, and his stubbornness has obviously played a part in Hawthorn’s amazing success. But right now, his strategy is an obvious failure.

One word: Malthouse.

How much longer can Hawthorn afford to leave him at the helm? How much longer for Clarkson?

Last edited:
He has many more runs on the board than Malthouse. You don't sack a coach like that for 1 bad year. Or even 2. I would give him all of this year and 2021 no questions asked. If you're into 2022 and there's still no momentum in sight then you think about moving on. But it should not even be close to in question at this point.

He has many more runs on the board than Malthouse. You don't sack a coach like that for 1 bad year. Or even 2. I would give him all of this year and 2021 no questions asked. If you're into 2022 and there's still no momentum in sight then you think about moving on. But it should not even be close to in question at this point.
funny that. forget the aging players, I think Clarkson is the most valuable assett at the hawks. They need to hit the draft for 2020, 2021 and 2022. They need to nail those draft picks and get some quality youth in. You can keep those 30 year olds on the list for so long.

A fair amount of people know I am a ross Lyon fan. I didnt mind freos Ross Lyon reuild of 2016-19. We drafted some good kids in the 1st and 2nd rounds in that 2016-2019 period.

Time for the hawks to do a 2-4 year reuild and Clarko has to see it through.

Last edited:
“Death, taxes, and Alastair Clarkson not believing in rebuilds”

This was the live on air analysis after the Hawks suffered their 4th loss on the trot, this week to the worst Swans team to take the park in 15 years, if not since 1993. Average player age a generation apart.

No one can deny the man’s legacy, and his stubbornness has obviously played a part in Hawthorn’s amazing success. But right now, his strategy is an obvious failure.

One word: Malthouse.

How much longer can Hawthorn afford to leave him at the helm? How much longer for Clarkson?
If the hawks are going to go through a 3-4 year rebuild, should clarko be the coach to see it through?

Malthouse moved Eddie Betts on so he could bring in Dale Thomas on big coin. Then single handedly ****ed a promising Carlton team sending them back 5 years

I will reserve judgement on Clarkson until he loses 5 games by 100+ points after letting Sicily go so he can bring in a Dale Thomas mk2 for big cash

Hawks looking at 10 years minimum going nowhere. Their best players are grubs like Sicily. Sicily epitomises all that is wrong with the Hawks imo. The guy is a terrible influence on teammates and reflects poorly on the club with his tantrums. Total lack of sportsmanship. He's like a child that didn't get its way.

Let's not forget their captain who was renowned for pinching opponents non stop knowing that his opponent can't even up the score without getting suspended. As a man he's the lowest of the low pinching other blokes behind play. Total coward move and that's the captain!

Clarko getting into it with the dummy spits. Then you have a clown like Kennett stirring the pot. If Kennett had his way Clarko would have been sacked in 2007 and they'd have 0 premierships in nearly three decades.

Give Clarko credit. He's one of the best of all time, but has no interest in rebuilding. He's taken on one mature player after another with either emotional or physical baggage. It worked for a while but now it's falling apart. Now they'll have to rebuild from the ground up. Some of them strut around like they're the 2015 Hawks though.

Clarko had no intention of coaching Hawks past his current contract otherwise he would have recruited youth rather than moneyball mature players with physical and emotional baggage.

Clarkson's precision kicking gameplan out of defence is the trend setter a few years ago during their successful years. The game has changed but he is refusing to adapt his current "kick long down the line", slow ball movement. Sydney got on top when they started using the corridor and taking the game on. It is the only way to combat current defensive structures.

Clarkson needs to evolve. It's what good coaches do.

Hawks looking at 10 years minimum going nowhere. Their best players are grubs like Sicily. Sicily epitomises all that is wrong with the Hawks imo. The guy is a terrible influence on teammates and reflects poorly on the club with his tantrums. Total lack of sportsmanship. He's like a child that didn't get its way.

Did he sleep with your mum or something? Every single one of your posts is about Sicily.

He's far from Hawthorn's biggest problem. He was one of the best on ground today. Playing old guys that have passed it is the biggest problem. I'm still perplexed as to how Tom Scully gets a game.

Let's not forget their captain who was renowned for pinching opponents non stop knowing that his opponent can't even up the score without getting suspended. As a man he's the lowest of the low pinching other blokes behind play. Total coward move and that's the captain!

Clarko getting into it with the dummy spits. Then you have a clown like Kennett stirring the pot. If Kennett had his way Clarko would have been sacked in 2007 and they'd have 0 premierships in nearly three decades.

Give Clarko credit. He's one of the best of all time, but has no interest in rebuilding. He's taken on one mature player after another with either emotional or physical baggage. It worked for a while but now it's falling apart. Now they'll have to rebuild from the ground up. Some of them strut around like they're the 2015 Hawks though.

Clarko had no intention of coaching Hawks past his current contract otherwise he would have recruited youth rather than moneyball mature players with physical and emotional baggage.
You can completely hanged a list in 5 years... 10 years minimum is a straight up stupid comment

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What the hell are you talking about? Sicily is probably our best player, he is the only player that has flair in our side and is probably both our best forward AND back at the same damn time. In his first couple of years he was way more unhinged, but he has been learning to control himself and knows when to go someone and when not to for the most part now.

Every team needs a bit of a prick. Sicily is the same type of player as Green - he is the kind of guy that we should be building around and can actually bring some life into the team. He's OUR prick, and I reckon he would be one of a handful of untradeables at the Hawks at the moment, I love the guy's energy.

He's lost it now. Sooking about Papley milking free kicks when he's had Puopolo for the past decade. What a pathetic hypocrite.
His bleating about the umpires is seriously getting old and his crack at Papley was average too.

Legendary coach and has credits in the bank, but he’s opted to retain older players and trade early picks for mid aged players well beyond when they were challenging. Blaming others makes it look like he doesn’t have the answers.

He does it regularly now too. People can accept it if they just aren’t that great for a while but not when he’s talking like this.

Right now, his only clear plan is to stir up post-match media controversy to distract from his side’s underwhelming results.

Sad to see a coach of his pedigree reduced to that sort of thing, really.

What a shame he's consistently said these things and same message about the game even during the glory years.

It's all over, I blame Clarkson and Clarkson only.
Well considering when he wins it's all about Clarko's genius I don't see why the same doesn't apply to losses.

I agree, Hawthorn would benefit greatly approaching Ross Lyon.
Yeah, let's sack the guy who has given us 4 flags with only 1.5 years on the contract left. The guy deserves time, at least what he has left. Maybe start training up the "senior assistant" Sam Mitchell now, though.

Yeah, let's sack the guy who has given us 4 flags with only 1.5 years on the contract left. The guy deserves time, at least what he has left. Maybe start training up the "senior assistant" Sam Mitchell now, though.
We should at least hire Ross Lyon and make him co-senior coach, imagine the ideas being bounced around the coaches box... I was being sarcastic. :openmouth:

Remove this Banner Ad

Alastair Clarkson: How long?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back