Coach Alastair Clarkson - NMFC Senior Coach - Coaching & Football Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Thought clarko was pretty open and honest and hopeful.

“It’s on me” to start getting wins on the board

And how he spoke about game plan matching the list (which was something I mentioned earlier as a big question mark for me), and how it takes 3 years for coaches to get it right (him at hawthorn, Mitchell at hawthorn, fagan at lions).

He certainly not shying away from expectations for wins in 2025

I’ve enjoyed seeing Clarko doing expert commentary on the AFL finals on there web page.

One thing that stood out to me is he appears to be in a better head space and he can now talk about the HFC in a more positive manner.

I think that’s a good think for HFC, Clarko and the Roos. Now his mind can be fully on his current coaching job.

I still have a soft spot for Clarko and will enjoy watching his career at the Roos…. And wish every success bar against my Hawks.

It's pretty stark. You wouldn't hear him speak and think multi premiership coach.
Hawthorn's racism saga and coaching arguably one of the worst teams on record, it's a miracle the bloke isn't in a mental asylum.

I will say that he has gone away from the stern-angry Clarko we used to see in the media but to be honest I couldn't give a rat's arse what he sounds like publicly.

I want to see that man and his boys standing on that podium. More than once.

Yeah fair call. You reckon his speech has changed from the Hawks saga?
In my expert medical opinion, that Syndrome around 2015 changed things for good. I've gone back and watched a couple of Hawks pressers pre-and-post illness, and the differences are noticeable imo. More slurring of speech in the post-disease pressers. The umms and ahhs have always been there, but maybe they've been accentuated by the saga. Either way, the bloke's been through the wringer.

We'll see how much he and the players have in the tank next year. I think and pray they all have quite a bit to give

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's pretty stark. You wouldn't hear him speak and think multi premiership coach.
It is, but maybe we have the less refined, less effective version of Clarko thanks to everything that's happened (and hopefully that version of him still trumps many other coaches in the business). Would be right on brand for North

It is, but maybe we have the less refined, less effective version of Clarko thanks to everything that's happened (and hopefully that version of him still trumps many other coaches in the business). Would be right on brand for North
Stress etc aside, he doesn't really drop verbal gold nuggets like a Sheedy, Malthouse or Pagan. Has no consequence just recalled him as more eloquent. Someone has mentioned medical factors.

In my expert medical opinion, that Syndrome around 2015 changed things for good. I've gone back and watched a couple of Hawks pressers pre-and-post illness, and the differences are noticeable imo. More slurring of speech in the post-disease pressers. The umms and ahhs have always been there, but maybe they've been accentuated by the saga. Either way, the bloke's been through the wringer.

We'll see how much he and the players have in the tank next year. I think and pray they all have quite a bit to give
Hmmmm. Feel bad for mentioning it now. Hadn’t thought about the 2015 syndrome. Interesting.

Hmmmm. Feel bad for mentioning it now. Hadn’t thought about the 2015 syndrome. Interesting.
No need to feel bad. It's simply an unverified opinion that a few others on here share, but I don't see how anyone can look at him speak and not think that he's deteriorated in that department since his peak years

When people talk off the cuff they often do umm and ah a lot. It sticks out when you focus on it but if you don’t focus on it you probably won’t notice how often if occurs. It’s the sort of thing debators and media performers focus on eliminating to sound confident / competent. I don’t think it does make someone more or less articulate. It probably comes off as practiced and affected when you don’t hear people umm-ing/pausing and then responding. It’s less genuine / authentic I think.

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Alastair Clarkson - NMFC Senior Coach - Coaching & Football Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back