Coach Alastair Clarkson - NMFC Senior Coach - Coaching & Football Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Take this for whatever you decide it's worth, but I've been told on more than one occasion (by those who would know) that Clarko has very much taken Patch Adams under his wing and he's the clear protégé among the current assistants.
Oh. Goody.

I hear you Danni, I was once a vegan .....I genuinely did feel healthier and full of energy in those two weeks!

What happened? Well, a mate was in town I hadn't seen for some time and wanted to go to "The Norman" which prides itself on calling itself Brisbane's Worst Vegetarian Restaurant. Went along with the plan of having a steak and getting back on the wagon, but would you believe the irony of it all,,,,,,I won the bloody meat raffle.....literally the only thing I've won in my life. My wife suggested the universe has spoken. Who am I to argue!
The universe doesn't speak like that. Sometimes it messes with you to test your resolve tho.

He’s Paul Roos, not John Longmire, from the horses mouth - his goal is to get us competitive again. That’s it. Anymore is a bonus.
If that's the case, hopefully after he's finished at North he'll go to * as a "consultant" and play a not insignificant role in setting the place back 10 years, just like Roos did to us👍

Maybe it’s all part of lead in to Simpson being coach when he decides to pull the pin. How did Simpson get along with Darling? Darling only got dropped when Simmo was axed. 2 years for Darling with aspirations to get into coaching once he’s finished as a player.

He had Pork.

A certain preliminary final coach coaching this weekend was also with us.

The topic of conversation surrounded the valuation of consistency vs ceiling.

They would take a player with very little deviation between their best and their worst vs a Tarryn Thomas type.

In both their eyes, consistency is a trait of toughness, they could never trust a mercurial player in finals unless they had to. Theyd take a modiocre consistent player over a mercurial player, as they know they will perform when needed with the chips against them. In their experience almost all of these mechriwl types wit under the pressure, in the moment.

Clarko made clear we have a severe lack of talent on the list, his main issue is with the Northern academies annd the lack of due process with priority picks vs his time at Hawthorn and their impact on the comp. Put it this way, there was a few moments where I could plainly recognize why he might have issues with Hawthorn…

People thinking he’s here for the extended long term need to rethink (3-4+ years)

The Essendon offer was legitimate, the only reason it was rebuffed was it came the day after he accepted the North offer, otherwise it was a serious goer. It was made via Tim Watson and Roger Merrrett, both friends of his older brother, both West Vic boys. Clarko grew up in an Essendon zone and has a soft spot, been long time mates with Watson, Merrett, Merv Nagle etc.
Hmm pretty disappointing if that is his assessment of the list, and if he's still talking about the Essendon offer. Seems a little half in, half out here which I don't think is going to help us at all. In terms of the extended period, is it your sense that he pulls up stumps at the completion of this contract or earlier? No interest in a longer stint?

I asked him this specifically.

Silverware is always a goal, but the priority is to "get North competitive before I go off into the sunset"
****ing hell. Off into the sunset he reckons. Probably worth the club putting a call in to Simmo to get ahead of any half-hearted ****ery. We need him to drive standards, not suggest what they'd look like in a competitive team and not truly care if it's ever realized...

Take this for whatever you decide it's worth, but I've been told on more than one occasion (by those who would know) that Clarko has very much taken Patch Adams under his wing and he's the clear protégé among the current assistants.
As much as I want Patch to work out, I haven't seen anything overly impressive from him. Barlow looks like he might have a bit about him though. Would really like a Clarko to Simmo to Barlow situation.

As much as I want Patch to work out, I haven't seen anything overly impressive from him. Barlow looks like he might have a bit about him though. Would really like a Clarko to Simmo to Barlow situation.
I think Chadwiko is right from what I've seen, but I agree, every line Patch has coached so far has been awful.

Ive got no problem with Clarko finishing up at the end of his contract, just dont cut corners and put us back to a middle of the road team. To go through all this pain to wind up back at there would be devastating.

If we lack talent then we have to hit the draft more. Leave the place with solid foundations for the next person.

Maybe many are too young to remember, but early 90s was tough but we all knew we had the cattle to become contenders, off the backs of a huge group of younger players coming through together. They didnt need us to dig up some fossils to show them how to train, prepare and succeed.
This talk dissing the idea of being a mid table team is great lol. As if being historically bad is totally normal, as if we're in a position to pick and choose our extent of success because we're somehow doing our rebuild the right way (much righter than everyone else's rebuilds), despite all evidence to the contrary, and as if all well run teams in the comp don't consistently pass leadership roles down through playing groups in order to ensure that there's always a solid foundation regardless of ladder position.

It's incredible that people are still doing this. It's like starving to the brink of death, receiving a offer of cabbage soup, and refusing because a roast dinner might, might, come along a few days later.

I would kill to be a mid table team and experience as much joy as I did in 2018. There is no 'correct' one way to do a rebuild. You don't accumulate complementary points which push you to the top for each year you spend on the bottom.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This talk dissing the idea of being a mid table team is great lol. As if being historically bad is totally normal, as if we're in a position to pick and choose our extent of success because we're somehow doing our rebuild the right way (much righter than everyone else's rebuilds), despite all evidence to the contrary, and as if all well run teams in the comp don't consistently pass leadership roles down through playing groups in order to ensure that there's always a solid foundation regardless of ladder position.

It's incredible that people are still doing this. It's like starving to the brink of death, receiving a offer of cabbage soup, and refusing because a roast dinner might, might, come along a few days later.

I would kill to be a mid table team and experience as much joy as I did in 2018. There is no 'correct' one way to do a rebuild. You don't accumulate complementary points which push you to the top for each year you spend on the bottom.
Hard disagree
Mid-table is death, just ask * and the Aints.
You're never good enough to win anything as you are, and you don't build the talent to get there in the future either.

The only way to ease the pain of what we've been through, is to build a contending side. You don't do that finishing 9th-12th

We need another 2-3 drafts of high end talent, to build towards opening up a window around 2030.

To trade away picks, is just accepting we've failed in our rebuild and accepting mid-table mediocrity.

Hard disagree
You're never good enough to win anything as you are, and you don't build the talent to get there in the future either.

The only way to ease the pain of what we've been through, is to build a contending side. You don't do that finishing 9th-12th

We need another 2-3 drafts of high end talent, to build towards opening up a window around 2030.

To trade away picks, is just accepting we've failed in our rebuild and accepting mid-table mediocrity.
Bollocks. Essendon and the Saints are looking at us, just like everyone else, and thanking Christ that they aren't broken in the way we are. You know, physically and mentally unable to win games of football off their own bat.

To trade away picks for players that we need now, and can't afford to wait on to develop, is savvy trading. I honestly can't see how any North fan is behaving like this is some sort of normal situation. Our current leadership and seniority-free trajectory is a great way to break the guys that care, like Sheezel, X, Comben and Wardlaw, and absolutely entrench the acceptance of the same pay check for training to a lesser degree than every other team for guys that care a little less, like Zurhaar, Curtis, Larkey, Scott, Ford, McDonald, Tucker, Stephenson, Fisher, Stephens, Powell. Then your high-end draft picks won't mean jack shit.

We don't need a kid, or three. We already have a list clearly better than West Coast and they won two more games than us. We need three or four blokes who aren't broken, who have seen a good footy environment, to come in and whip the joint into shape. We thought Clarko was the guy to do that. Apparently he has reservations and isn't really expecting to win a flag. So that crosses him off the list of do-or-die candidates. This is a perfect opportunity to use our shitness, the shitness that puts us at the top of the draft pile, to bring in some damn support beams to curb the free-for-all that North youngsters have experienced since 2020. The very same free-for-all that leads to universal adoration of Sheezel because he behaves like a professional athlete should, and that's an absolute novelty at North. It'll be priceless if we get it right

Last edited:
Hard disagree

We need to finish mid table to get some mature age talent through the door.

Finishing last or second last all the time is not feasible.

A serial Clarkson hater posts some shit that is pretty much public knowledge and the whole forum loses it’s mind.

Calm down and get a grip FFS.

I’m still trying to figure out the President bit though and the connection Clarko has to George W (Bfnaak?)

But anywho there mustn’t be that many around?

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Alastair Clarkson - NMFC Senior Coach - Coaching & Football Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back