Coach Alastair Clarkson - NMFC Senior Coach - Coaching & Football Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I disagree entirely.

Umming and aahing is generally an indication that someone is not actually present centred in their responses - effectively rambling.

when people aren’t present they aren’t 💯 sure of what’s coming out of their mouth and indicates they are fumbling for a response.

It would be useful for him to slow right down and practice some attentional training condition or no condition.
you say fumbling and I say considering a response. I don’t think he prioritises the delivery of what he is saying as much as the content. I assume he has an awareness of umming and ahhing but really doesn’t care that much that he’s doing it.

some people don’t have his level of authority / respect and the delivery of what their saying becomes more important to ensure listeners pay attention to them and take them seriously.

100% its all about winning premierships and that means being a legit contender.

But i think we're there before 2030. This and next draft should be enough. In 26 we should make serious inroads, 27 onwards a sustained period in the finals. 28 onwards contender status. We went the youth path to rebuild, we're just about at the last hurdle we dont change course at the last minute.
100% need to stay the course.

The Hawks are able to trade their draft capital, because they've built their list and have no glaring list holes. They've nailed their picks up and down the draft order and brought in bargain trades. They can now trade for positional upgrades, that put them right into contention.
They've baked their cake and can now add the icing.

We still have a sloppy mess, that hasn't made the oven. We've failed on several high picks (JHF, Tarryn and sadly most likely WillPhil). Not found much down the draft order, or in the MS and rookie drafts. Then there's the trading, which has been disastrous.
There's the glaring list holes for 2/3 small forwards and 2 KPF's, that must be addressed in the draft.

Despite all our high picks we still need more high-end young talent and to address list balance. Happy to trade back from 2, to address these needs later in the first round.
But we must stay in the first round, this year and next.

2 years off for trading in someone like Houston. And hope you're right about improving rapidly from 2026, I was just being conservative based on how far off we looked in the last 2 rounds.

We already have more high end young talent than the likes of * or the Saints tho.
Maybe, but some of us appear willing to back that young group more so than others.

Look through the threads, apart from Sheez, McKercher, LDU, Xerri and Wardlaw people want fringe players from other clubs to play those roles. Most people are hardly sold on the rest or they'd be happy to keep hitting the draft.

We already have plenty of experience in Corr, Logue, Fisher, Tucker, Simpkin, Larkey, Zurhaar, LMac and LDU.

All most of us are talking about is this years picks and next years first going to the draft then knock yourself out. That should be 3 to 4 more talented youngsters to add with the rest which makes a good sized core that learn to become ruthless together and drive the standards. No older types we get will make that much of a difference, its going to be that core that does the heavy lifting, why not make sure its got good depth? Again all we're talking is 1.5 drafts (ill call a 1st rounder half the draft capital).

The Hawks are able to trade their draft capital, because they've built their list and have no glaring list holes. They've nailed their picks up and down the draft order and brought in bargain trades. They can now trade for positional upgrades, that put them right into contention.

We still have a sloppy mess, that hasn't made the oven. We've failed on several high picks (JHF, Tarryn and sadly most likely WillPhil). Not found much down the draft order, or in the MS and rookie drafts. Then there's the trading, which has been disastrous.
There's the glaring list holes for 2/3 small forwards and 2 KPF's, that must be addressed in the draft.

Despite all our high picks we still need more high-end young talent and to address list balance. Happy to trade back from 2, to address these needs later in the first round.

2 years off for trading in someone like Houston. And hope you're right about improving rapidly from 2026, I was just being conservative based on how far off we looked in the last 2 rounds.
If we stay the course for this years draft and our 1st next year im extremely confident we'll be knocking on the door of the 8 in 26. Which is really the best outcome we could hope for if we spent the picks on players anyway. Its just staying the course gives us better long term talent to go higher for longer.

I also agree if would be a different story if we had Thomas, nailed a couple in the mid season and other picks but that wasn't to be. It delays us a year or two and here we are.

We already have plenty of experience in Corr, Logue, Fisher, Tucker, Simpkin, Larkey, Zurhaar, LMac and LDU.
As much as I’d love to have a beer with any of those blokes, it’s a problem that none of them have been leaders within successful football programs, like Parker or Houston.

That’s holding back our progression more than any dearth of elite kids.

There’s no course to stay on. Reading post after post of people convinced that we can draft our way out of this mess is like witnessing some unholy crossover between Groundhog Day and that Hitler-Downfall meme.

How is JHF a failure when we immediately flipped him for Wardlaw + Goad?

As much as I’d love to have a beer with any of those blokes, it’s a problem that none of them have been leaders within successful football programs, like Parker or Houston.

That’s holding back our progression more than any dearth of elite kids.

There’s no course to stay on. Reading post after post of people convinced that we can draft our way out of this mess is like witnessing some unholy crossover between Groundhog Day and that Hitler-Downfall meme.
Its not a matter of the draft being the only way. As i and others have said we're all for trading quality picks for players, we just don't think we're ready yet.

Parker costs bugger all so im not worried about him its mainly Houston. That said there are scenarios i mightn't be totally against it.

Can he play the bigger body explosive mid role?

If so then, i might consider something like, our F1st to Port for Houston, their F1st and F2nd. Then given both cluns both traded back into the first round that might work. We could then look to trade their F1st to get something around pick 15-18 this years or bundle a F2 with our 3rd to get an extra pick in the 20-30 range. Maybe we could trade both future seconds (our and theirs) to achieve it, im not sure. Lots of ifs and butts in that tho.

As for winning football programs, thats what we have coaches for.

Last edited:
Because JHF is a gun now, Wardlaw getting there but wont be that line breaking goal threat JHF is and Goad a long way off. Its not saying we're losers out of the trade, its the delay. It takes us longer to know what we've got.

if there is a chance to get an A grade talent in, you get them in. No guarantee you will be able to get one in the future when you "need" them. If we could split either this year or next year and still have a decent first rounder and Houston, its a no brainer.

Because JHF is a gun now, Wardlaw getting there but wont be that line breaking goal threat JHF is and Goad a long way off. Its not saying we're losers out of the trade, its the delay. It takes us longer to know what we've got.
Is he? If he was a gun I'd have thought he'd have won them the game last night instead of disappearing when it mattered.

I disagree entirely.

Umming and aahing is generally an indication that someone is not actually present centred in their responses - effectively rambling.

when people aren’t present they aren’t 💯 sure of what’s coming out of their mouth and indicates they are fumbling for a response.

It would be useful for him to slow right down and practice some attentional training condition or no condition.
He has copped a lot of knocks over the years.
May take its toll later in life.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We lost a year of development, and means that we only have LDU as a confirmed high end talent taken before 2022. Powell is good, but will probably never be elite.
Just pushed our development further back.

Goad is a long-term prospect who needs time. And as good as Warlord is, he's a year behind JHF

We lost a year of development, and means that we only have LDU as a confirmed high end talent taken before 2022. Powell is good, but will probably never be elite.
Just pushed our development further back.

Goad is a long-term prospect who needs time. And as good as Warlord is, he's a year behind JHF
I don't really think that's the equivalent of losing Tarryn Thomas or even Will Phillips if indeed he doesn't turn it on next year. I don't think George is actually a year behind JHF, I think next year they start on roughly equal footing if neither of them are injured, but also it doesn't really matter if they are or not; JHF wouldn't have made us a contender this year, I don't think he would have won us any extra games, and by the time he would've made a difference, George will also be making that difference. Goad is the element that has the potential to really determine who won the trade, if he does anything for us at all in his career it's an unambiguous win in my eyes.

Is he? If he was a gun I'd have thought he'd have won them the game last night instead of disappearing when it mattered.
I'm gonna come across as sucking him off here, when the reality is that the sight of his face reminds me that some people go beyond the regular limits of the punchability spectrum, but he was one of about four or five wearing those colours that properly cracked in last night. The word 'gun' does not mean that you're so good you can choose to win finals when the odds are against you. That's called being a legend of the game. He's a gun, and if Port ever overcome whatever their handicap is, he'll be there, front and square

I'm gonna come across as sucking him off here, when the reality is that the sight of his face reminds me that some people go beyond the regular limits of the punchability spectrum, but he was one of about four or five wearing those colours that properly cracked in last night. The word 'gun' does not mean that you're so good you can choose to win finals when the odds are against you. That's called being a legend of the game. He's a gun, and if Port ever overcome whatever their handicap is, he'll be there, front and square
Fu! If you love him so much, why don’t you just go barrack for port!

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Alastair Clarkson - NMFC Senior Coach - Coaching & Football Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back