List Mgmt. All Trades and Draft Part 2- Draft edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We can't afford Gray.

But we can afford Hamish.

Nothing to be lost gy giving him another year to prove himself given multiple factors:
- Injuries
- Bloodlines
- Potential
- Work ethic
- Attitude

On LYA-L29 using BigFooty.com mobile app

He is now being paid as an assistant coach in the woman’s team. So what are the rules if we were to pick him up? He would get minimum wage at WC but get paid as an assistant. He would be decent depth as a rookie.

We can't afford Gray.

But we can afford Hamish.

Nothing to be lost gy giving him another year to prove himself given multiple factors:
- Injuries
- Bloodlines
- Potential
- Work ethic
- Attitude

On LYA-L29 using BigFooty.com mobile app

He is now being paid as an assistant coach in the woman’s team. So what are the rules if we were to pick him up? He would get minimum wage at WC but get paid as an assistant. He would be decent depth as a rookie.

I don't know why everyone seems so keen on B Gray being on our AFL list. Even Fremantle realised his skill level was too low to play AFL. You can survive in the WAFL on endeavour (although he is still noticeably one of our shitter ball users), but he's a liability at AFL level - particularly with our gameplan.

Also, I'm pretty sure we were talking about Sam Gray, who is not coaching our women's team.

For those who have some spare time, I found a recorded stream of Philp's most recent game for the Northern Knights.

(Philp is #13 for the Knights playing in white)

Considering there is little available in regard to any highlights of his play I found the above useful.

In a match that included other prospects such as Cassar, Honey and Reynolds, Philp was the standout midfield player on the ground and looks to have by far a higher ceiling.

Some highlights of note during the match:
  • 0:42:30 - gets out the front of centre clearance, follows up and provides assist for team-mate to goal.
  • 0:46:45 - reads boundary throw-in perfectly, running clean through the stoppage with possession, only to undersell the handball.
  • 1:10:00 - takes clean ball from boundary throw-in, kick misses D'Intinosante leading through centre, but gets back quickly to support the defence, gathering the ball cleanly off his feet and moving back through congestion to find a clear outlet.
  • 1:12:30 - quick hands after receiving looping handball under pressure.
  • 1:17:45 - ground ball get in contest, turns and puts on the jets to streak away from the stoppage, delivering a great ball to the advantage of his team-mate up forward. You can hear the chatter on the audio among the stands at this point. It is the "WOW" moment of the match. This one play has all but guaranteed that Philp should get picked up in the draft.
  • 1:29:30 - applies pressure after centre bounce, wins possession and gets off handball whilst being tackled.
  • 1:57:30 - uses his closing speed to apply tackle in forward pocket that leads to opposition out-on-full turnover and consequent goal.
  • 2:00:00 - lack of engagement running back defensively allows his direct opponent to get free inside attacking 50 and goal.
  • 2:24:00 - gets front position on his opponent and shows good touch below his kness to win the centre clearance.

Some further thoughts from viewing the match:
  • Philp is not a natural inside bull of a midfielder - he does not straight-line hunt the ball. He prefers to come in from the backside of the stoppage/contest and attempt to take possession on the move. That said, he certainly looks capable of holding his own in bash and crash situations.
  • Starts almost every throw-in stoppage on the boundary side, looking for a run-through clear from congestion.
  • Likely is spending so much time in an inside role due to the low standard around him in the Knights' midfield - it was noticeable when he was off the ground just how less potent they appeared around the stoppages.
  • For someone listed at 185cm and 80kg, Philp looks like he has a lot more growing within him - has the frame that could very easily develop him into a 188cm, 90kg monster.
  • He reads stoppages exceptionally well - often does not watch the ball being thrown in or up, eyes only the ruck contest and reacts from that. Means he often gains front position over his opponent through awareness rather than physicality.
  • Recognises channels in congestion and traffic, providing a moving target on the run. The overwhelming majority of these runs are, from appearances, unfortunately not rewarded by his team-mates as they hoof it forward without making a decision. If the Knights had another player on the inside that could hit these runs I have no doubt Philp would be receiving a lot more attention.
  • Ball gathering below knees is very good, hands are quick, but handball when on the run needs work.
  • Kicking looks satisfactory, considering the gusty conditions, although very few risks were taken. One kick around the corner from the back-pocket on his non-preferred was a complete mishit that only remained in play due to the wind.
  • Defensive running may need some work. No problems aerobically, but there were a few instances where he was caught ball watching when going back and his opponent was able to get free into space.
  • Breakaway acceleration is exceptional - when he decides to really go, it is Petruccelle-like - no-one else on the ground can keep pace. Which makes it all the more baffling why he doesn't make use of it as a weapon more often. I can only presume this is at least in part due once again to his team-mates not using him on the outside, leaving few opportunities aside from clean stoppage takeaways. It would be nice to see him use his pace off the ball more as well, pushing forward and stretching his opponent.

I would say that Philp is a player that needs a lot of development and attention in some areas but has all the pieces to be potentially an exceptional player.

I can see him starting as a half forward / winger utilising his pace with short bursts through stoppages - with those bursts becoming longer as he physically matures and develops more into a full-time stoppage role.

Reckon he would be a steal should he last to our first pick in the draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seems to be more of a forward these days so I doubt we will get him
Seems like we're down a small forward next year though....
Plus there's a chance his health has come good enough that he'll be able to build his tank a bit over the next couple of years.
Worth a shot imo considering what we normally do with our rookie picks.

Can only agree with you on Ben being very impressive.

He first caught my attention in the WA v Vic Metro game with those two long telling goals.
Beautiful kick on him.
He seems very composed and sure of himself on the rebound.
Seems like a very good WA prospect that’s not getting a lot of acknowledgment and love on the D&T boards.

Very underated player.

So thoughts on Calum Jamison Monocle?

A rated ruck and sitting in the shadows of Jackson.

These rated u18 rucks do slide into the 3rd round quite often as they take years to develop.

Do we use our first pick on maybe the 2nd or 3rd best rated ruck ( nor nececcarily Jamison) or the 20th rated midfielder?

With Brooksby and McInness gone we need another project ruck being developed.

Id like to know just how tall Oscar Allen is now. His brother I recall kept growing and ended up over 200cm if Im not mistaken.

So thoughts on Calum Jamison Monocle?

A rated ruck and sitting in the shadows of Jackson.

These rated u18 rucks do slide into the 3rd round quite often as they take years to develop.

Do we use our first pick on maybe the 2nd or 3rd best rated ruck ( nor nececcarily Jamison) or the 20th rated midfielder?

With Brooksby and McInness gone we need another project ruck being developed.

Id like to know just how tall Oscar Allen is now. His brother I recall kept growing and ended up over 200cm if Im not mistaken.

I rate Jamieson as a good prospect but one I would consider, at the earliest, late in the draft if we retain pick 91 ( or what ever that pick slides into ).
I do still hold hopes of us, come draft night, being able to improve our second pick by trading up.

Jamieson is still a match stick and his game is unpolished and raw , but I do like his ground ball game and he is a very good tackler and likes to stay active in the game after the contest is below head hight. He is however, still four years away from making any significant contribution at the next level.

As for the ruck options here is how I see this cohort.

It's not super strong and its VERY raw.... never the less.

1. Luke Jackson - Obviously.... but I suspect he will be a very good KPF that is a very handy ruckman. Clear distance between him and the next rung.
2. Nick Bryan - Second best ruckman and I like him at the 45+ range.
3. Charlie Comben - Best mark of all the the rucks and I suspect he will play as a KPF at the next level, injury prone like you would not believe. 50 + range
4. Callum Jamieson - he has a pretty good all round game and certainly rucked well for the Claremont Colts in their Premiership run. 60 + range - rookie.

As to your question do we go 20th best mid or 2nd or 3rd best ruck.

Thats an easy one for me ... we go the mid.
I still like, whats IMO, going to be available at pick 46 and would prioritise a mid option first and foremost.
The mids depth in this cohort is a lot stronger than the ruck depth.

Our recruiting team will have their priorities, but I think they will still be wanting to address the midfield depth on the list, first and foremost.
That said with our first live pick they will simply pull the trigger on their highest ratted player regardless of the position that he plays.

Your idea of getting another young raw ruckman to add to our list is a sound suggestion and one that I like.
Suspect that if we go this way it is with a rookie list spot.....maybe be someone like Zac Patterson ( by example ) if all the others listed above are gone.

Side Note :

I am very upbeat and chipper about Bailey Williams and what he will eventually add to our list.
As I have stated previously several times on this site , I had a first round grade on him coming into last years draft and while it has become a trend that rucks slide a bit, I thought he would be gone by the 22/23 mark.
I was rapt when he slid to us and kudos to our Recruiting team for pouncing when they did.
I though he was...... by a long way ..... our best pick last draft.

So I don't see the ruck position being as urgent and as immediate a need as others do.

That said the fact that that Brooksby and McInnes are now gone, would suggest that at some juncture in the draft we will add a young ruckman.

Last edited:
Delisted free agent period starts tomorrow. Anyone fit the bill for us ?
I personally think Josh Walker wouldn’t be a bad hey for us, he’s only 26 and our KPD stocks are looking a little thin.

Would also allow us to take more midfielders in the national/ rookie draft.

I personally think Josh Walker wouldn’t be a bad hey for us, he’s only 26 and our KPD stocks are looking a little thin.

A hairline that would make even DV, Dom, Schoey and Bunga look like they have luscious locks.

9724DD74-8CF2-41A3-A59D-62A36ED3FBD7.jpeg

I think Walker will get a life line and that he was unlucky to be cut by Brisbane.
However, for us, he would just deprive Brander and Williams game time, so I would pass on picking him up.
I don't think our KPP stocks are too bad at the moment.

I think there are better options for us in the delisted free agents that are available.

Always worthwhile looking over players who have been cut by good sides, that have quality and depth in the positions that they play.

Here are a few players that I think worthy of serious consideration.

1. Jacob Townsend. 26 .187 cm 89 kg. Richmond.

images-7.jpg

Ex Richmond and a member of their 2017 Premiership team, tackling machine who played as either a midfield or forward role.
Started out at GWS and played a few games then traded to Richmond where he has played 20 games and kicked 32 goals.
Has been linked to return to GWS. Quality player that would be worth considering and is plug in.
Been forced down the depth chart due to Richmond's embarrassment of talent.
I think he is still a quality player that has much to still offer an AFL team.

2.Ben Keays. 22. 186 cm 89 kg. Brisbane.

images-8.jpg

Midfield forward who is being kept out of the Brisbane seniors by their crop of recent early drafted picks in the midfield forward.
Still very young and has played some good football when given the opportunity at the highest level.

3.Archie Smith. 24. 202 cm 105 kg. Brisbane.

download-23.jpg

The big ruckman is for his position still very young. The son of Andre Moore who played basketball for the Brisbane Bullets and was a regular thorn in the side of the Wildcats. Not sure why Archie has fallen out with Brisbane but his raw skill set is not that unlike NN. I think the way we develop ruckmen that he would be worth considering. 24 years of age for a raw ruckman is not old. Big leap on the kid. Now that Brooksby and McInnes are gone he could be a cheap replacement.

I think all three players mentioned above are players who fill positions of need on our list and have the right age profile as well.

Last edited:
I think Walker will get a life line and that he was unlucky to be cut by Brisbane.
However, for us, he would just deprive Brander and Williams game time, so I would pass on picking him up.
I don't think our KPP stocks are too bad at the moment.

I think there are better options for us in the delisted free agents that are available.

Always worthwhile looking over players who have been cut by good sides, that have quality and depth in the positions that they play.

Here are a few players that I think worthy of serious consideration.

1. Jacob Townsend. 26 .187 cm 89 kg. Richmond.

View attachment 773860

Ex Richmond and a member of their 2017 Premiership team, tackling machine who played as either a midfield or forward role.
Started out at GWS and played a few games then traded to Richmond where he has played 20 games and kicked 32 goals.
Has been linked to return to GWS. Quality player that would be worth considering and is plug in.
Been forced down the depth chart due to Richmond's embarrassment of talent.
I think he is still a quality player that has much to still offer an AFL team.

2.Ben Keays. 22. 186 cm 89 kg. Brisbane.

View attachment 773861

Midfield forward why is being kept out of the Brisbane seniors by their crop of recent early drafted picks in the midfield forward.
Still very young and has played some good football when given the opportunity at the highest level.

3.Archie Smith. 24. 202 cm 105 kg. Brisbane.

View attachment 773862

The big ruckman is for his position still very young. The son of Andre Moore who played basketball for the Brisbane Bullets and was a regular thorn in the side of the Wildcats. Not sure why Archie has fallen out with Brisbane but his raw skill set is not that unlike NN. I think the way we develop ruckmen that he would be worth considering. 24 years of age for a raw ruckman is not old. Big leap on the kid. Now that Brooksby and McInnes are gone he could be a cheap replacement.

I think all three players mentioned above are players who fill positions of need on our list and have the right age profile as well.

Don’t mind the look of Archie smith, we will need a rookie ruck for the beagles team at the least

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back