Scape Goat Alleged SPP incident/broken curfew + malicious and exploitative reporting by Channel 7 news

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So do it literally the opposite way businesses do those things.

All you want is public gratification that the reporter gets shamed and humiliated.

Alright Smithson, you can log out now and go back to your day job.

Only if the victim wanted to make a police report which she doesn't.

That is the problem that needs confronting. If she has an issue of any material substance then only a police investigation can clear the alleged perpetrator. This, "I don't really want to make a fuss" approach is a complete nonsense given the target's media profile. She has indeed made a huge fuss but in a way that keeps herself entirely out it and has SPP publicly maligned without recourse to any just investigation. AFL are a bunch of pretentious w***ers who will massage the result of their internal investigation to best reflect their immediate PR priorities, as Koch has so clearly described.

This is seeming a lot like "OOOh, he looked at me!!!"
If it was sexual assault, or allegedly so, then report it to the police. If it was just 'unwanted touching', then that's called going out to a nightclub. FFS!

She is taking advantage of his profile, which I'm sure she is at least subconsciously aware of. AFL's reactive response simply puts up a green light for this type of nonsense.

I’m about to drive past Alberton. God forgive me if Mike Smithson is crossing the road.

I'll start a gofundme account to help cover costs. I also know a guy, who can definitively prove that your vehicle inexplicably suffered catastrophic brake and/or steering failure for the right price (actually he's a Port supporter and he owes me, so it would probably be a freebie) :D:thumbsu:

That is the problem that needs confronting. If she has an issue of any material substance then only a police investigation can clear the alleged perpetrator. This, "I don't really want to make a fuss" approach is a complete nonsense given the target's media profile. She has indeed made a huge fuss but in a way that keeps herself entirely out it and has SPP publicly maligned without recourse to any just investigation. AFL are a bunch of pretentious w***ers who will massage the result of their internal investigation to best reflect their immediate PR priorities, as Koch has so clearly described.

This is seeming a lot like "OOOh, he looked at me!!!"
If it was sexual assault, or allegedly so, then report it to the police. If it was just 'unwanted touching', then that's called going out to a nightclub. FFS!

She is taking advantage of his profile, which I'm sure she is at least subconsciously aware of. AFL's reactive response simply puts up a green light for this type of nonsense.

It speaks volumes about the "millennial" mentality/attitude these days.

Exactly....... Which is why we shouldn't be taking that approach

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Something pro-active should be done to try to protect our players from further offensive/damaging misreporting by the media.

I get it everyone, the club can assist SPP. Never doubted that. But SPP has to want to go thru all the bullshit of lawyers etc and it could be an 18 month mind draining process. Does a kid who wants to just play footy really have his head around going thru a long drawn out process? Personally I hope he does, but I'm over 50 and would want to get revenge. I'm not 20 and knowing my whole world revolves around playing in the AFL for potentially the next 10-15 years.
Yeah, just spent 18 months trying to get justice (Federal Court).
It is draining and soul destroying and even though i won - it is very costly in money, time, energy and sanity.

The 'eye of the beholder' bit was in response to Smithson's fifth or sixth repeat of the same question. KT's initial answer was pretty much what you suggested.

I missed the opening statement and just rewatched the whole PC. In hindsight I have been too harsh on KT, but what really comes across is that on this particular occasion he has been too nice or "casual" for his own good. Really needed to be strong and assertive in his answers and not allow Smithson to just dictate it the way he did.

Port Adelaide CEO Keith Thomas has criticised 7 News Adelaide coverage of claims Sam Powell-Pepper acted inappropriately inside an Adelaide nightclub.
Thomas slammed the use of phrases including “sexual assault” and “sickening”.
“We believe that set the tone for the entire investigation,” he said on Thursday. “The opening line of the journalist concerned continued the narrative.”
“The report from that moment was about sexual assault, groping, sickening turn of events and we believe, in hindsight having viewed the evidence, way over played the incident.
“That meant the investigation was immediately on the back foot. It was dealing with a public perception that was being created…
“When we saw the footage it became crystal clear to us that there was a huge discrepancy between what we saw and what was being reported.
“Sam had no opportunity to defend his position. His name was out there…
“But at no stage was Sam afforded that opportunity.”
Thomas said what happened inside the club was a "long way from sexual assault".
https://www.fiveaa.com.au/news/Port-Adelaide-CEO-Lashes-Out-At-TV-Reports-Of-Powell-Pepper-Incident
Well that is a pretty strong response from KT. What are people expecting

AFL website still not reporting Koch's statement bit are reporting Port might sue 7. Although I think its Sam who has to do the sueing.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-04-26/port-may-sue-seven-over-powellpepper-case

Thomas said the Power wouldn't rule out taking legal action against Channel Seven. "We would reserve all of our rights in this case," he said. "We think this has been way overplayed. "Channel 7 Adelaide set the tone for the investigation and we'll be discussing that with them."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Millenial mentallity. So people who are between the ages of 14 and 36 have an attitude problem?

Ok.

LOL this guy is waiting for me to post so he can quote it and try and start an argument.

Like I said, **** off Smithson.

Reporting from InDaily

Sounds like they understood Keith's message. No wonder Smithson was squirming.

https://indaily.com.au/sport/football/2018/04/26/port-war-afl-powell-pepper/

Port CEO Keith Thomas addressed the media this afternoon, refusing to rule out legal action against Channel 7 Adelaide, which broke the story and, he said, framed it in such a way that subsequent reporting throughout the 16-day investigation “was about sexual assault”.
“This investigation for us has become an issue of fairness and natural justice,” Thomas said.
The CEO said Port believes “in hindsight, having viewed the turn of events” on CCTV, that the reporting “way overplayed the incident” and “the investigation was immediately on the backfoot”.
He said the club would “discuss [the matter] privately with Channel 7”, and would not rule out legal action, saying: “We’d reserve all of our rights in this case.”
“We believe this has been way overplayed… Channel 7 Adelaide set the tone for the investigation and we’ll be discussing that with them,” he said.
“That’s created an environment where it’s very difficult to achieve fairness.”

I thought KT did really well in the face of the antagonism of that pillock Smithson. The demand for the tape and the whole line of questioning to the effect of 'how can you expect us to take what you say as true without showing us the video' when channel 7 reported sexual assault with no evidence was just farcical IMO. The pausing to choose his words did make for difficult viewing and gave Smithson a chance to pile on, but I thought KT did fine in the end. You could sense that KT was getting really short with him by the end and making reference to how this will be sorted out behind closed door and whatnot, being a fly on the wall in that meeting would be super interesting.

This feels a long way from done to me. Will be very interested to see how this gets reported on 360 and on other, more reputable, non-7 Adelaide, new services.

The bigger issue is that channel 7 have likely acted within the law anyway, by employing the usual weasel words of "alleged", "it is believed" etc. The cleanup of the tweets after the fact is more likely a PR response than a legal one, IMO.

The way I took the press conference was that KT was doing everything he could to avoid shaming the girl, making it very clear that what she claimed didn't happen, and he wanted to not have her dragged through more stressful and possibly targeted negativity, but Smithson couldn't see that at all, he was blinded as to why KT would protect the girl, and kept hammering a line of questioning that wasn't getting anywhere.

For me it is pretty clear that SPP may have clumsily hit on this girl, but it certainly wasn't to the extent we originally feared, and that the girl might've put a bit of mayo on the story which she probably wishes she didn't. She probably wants it to go away and the club is probably respecting her wishes and trying to move forward without tearing her side of the story apart and putting her through more.

Well that is a pretty strong response from KT. What are people expecting

giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back