Scape Goat Alleged SPP incident/broken curfew + malicious and exploitative reporting by Channel 7 news

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Any reason why Port Adelaide cannot just release the footage of any interaction between SPP and the woman in the club? Blur out faces as needed.

They don't own the footage, the nightclub does.

I believe small companies and charitable incorporated associations can sue for defammation. I suspect PAFC can not sue for defammation. SPP can.

But I will propose the following.

Why have we not complained to the Police about employees of C7 perpetrating criminal defamation?

Why has not the Police commenced investigating criminal defamation?

Is PAFC suing for injurious falsehood a possibility?

Is there recourse under the Trade Practices Act for false and misleading conduct?

What other remedies are available to us?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This whole situation would never have been a headline and caused so much trouble if only AFL players would realize that they aren't treated like any other young single guy. I appears it doesn't matter how many times footy clubs educate their players of the dangers of drinking too much , taking drugs, being in places they shouldn't be some will still do it. SPP is a young single guy who if he wasn't a potential star of the future and just SPP guy out with mates getting smashed and trying to get laid I doubt very much if Ch7 would have made it a story but he isn't and he is now suffering the consequences as is the club and his team mates. He is an employee of the PAFC and as such he has to make sure that his behaviour doesn't reflect badly of his employer. The young woman who reported his behaviour also needs to take a good hard look at herself and ask if this wasn't an AFL footballer but SPP drunken idiot sleezebag would she have made a call to the media, would she have just said piss off if he was pestering her and left it at that as SPP average person place of employment would probably never been known to her so what would have she have gained. What was her motivation for ringing the media and not reporting him to the management of the nightclub or police if his behaviour was so bad and disturbed her so much why? because SPP was a known AFL footballer and she had a place to air her grievances be they honest or misplaced and would be listened to. Unfortunately it all gets back to the fact if you don't want to be accused of doing unsociable things don't give anyone the opportunity to do so by being a drunken lout in a public place at 3am in the morning, a lesson SPP has learned the hard way. However Ch7 needs to be held accountable for their actions and it may stop all these overblown headlines if SPP took them to court.

I believe small companies and charitable incorporated associations can sue for defammation. I suspect PAFC can not sue for defammation. SPP can.

But I will propose the following.

Why have we not complained to the Police about employees of C7 perpetrating criminal defamation?

Why has not the Police commenced investigating criminal defamation?

Is PAFC suing for injurious falsehood a possibility?

Is there recourse under the Trade Practices Act for false and misleading conduct?

What other remedies are available to us?

Very simple answer. Defamation etc is a civil action and Police do not have any role to play.

Sam is talking to Tredders tonight. Good (if predictable) PR move.

Urgh. This will be shit. SPP, who's not a polished media performer will just stutter and stumble his way through a lame apology, state he wants to clear his name, accepts the ban, says he's learnt a lot from the experience and just wants to get out there and play footy and repay the club.

Pay for it. Publicity for the night club. Any legal issues I am missing if identities are properly hidden?

Not sure we need to spend money to buy the footage, spend money on someone to make sure it is right for legal distribution, then release it just to appease ch 7 that it wasn't SEXUAL ASSAULT.

The club are satisfied, the AFL is satisfied, not sure when ch7 adelaide became judge, jury and executioner that we have to obey to.

Forerunner to the 7 news - Elpseth Hussey opened without their favourite "hand up her skirt" comment, saying that he was alleged to have put his hand down her skirt. I suppose we have to be thankful for small mercies. They must have realised if they kept on that tack they could have got into serious trouble.

And I don't watch seven news - this came up when I was watching "The Chase". The English one, the Australian one with w***er-in-chief Andrew O'Keefe is crap.

Think I spoke to soon when I said it looks like 7 are tempering their news, now "Today Tonight" will be running with the lie of why Port Adelaide will not release the tape. We don't even have the legal right too do that. They know but will go ahead with their lies anyway, after all Port bashing in SA will get people watching a 10th-rate 60 minutes.

Will not be watching 7 news ever. In fact will limit viewing outright until smithers the bin diver is gone.

They don't care. They only cater to cow customers, and that's how they want it to stay.

Wish KT had said something along the lines of "What evidence did Channel 7 have when they named and accused Sam Powell Pepper of sexual assault Mike?"
Na, the girl claiming an incident occured is the evidence.

As KT said, it is the terminology they used and salacious reporting that was the problem.

If they come out with "Port star the accused of some allegeded inappropriate drunken behaviour at a night club by young girl, investigation set to follow" instead of "Port Star SPP sexually assaulted a young girl at a local nightclub, sticking his hand up her skirt"..... etc,

The evidence of a witness or the victim, is fair evidence, but the complete and utter immediate judgement that was handed down on the back of one persons story was crazy. I mean imagine if a young girl is a Port fan and hates the Crows and next week she is hit on by Rory Sloane, so she decides to go to the media and make some statements of a sexual assault nature. The problem for the journalist isn't that they don't then have some evidence, it's that they don't know 100% that the story is true, and hence they should address the scenario appropriately.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back