Recommitted Andrew Gaff [re-signed]

Remove this Banner Ad

As far as I can assess the incentives, keeping Gaff or trading him would be better than Band 1 compensation.

Which part of that is problematic?

Which part of what I posted above do you dispute?
It’s speculative......

So hypothetically if matching Gaff and keeping you cost other good players, it’s still the best result?

It’s problematic because you don’t have every piece of the puzzle to make an informed decision on if it is the worst outcome?

Again you are just SPECULATING it is.......

It’s speculative......

So hypothetically if matching Gaff and keeping you cost other good players, it’s still the best result?

It’s problematic because you don’t have every piece of the puzzle to make an informed decision on if it is the worst outcome?

When does speculation become reality? These outcomes are all very likely.

Would you except this years and next years 2nd??
We can’t trade for what we don’t have.
That would be unders, but a better deal (albeit slightly) then the one we have currently. If North are in the same position next year it would be Pick 27 x 2.

Throw in Preuss.

Remember the Dangerfield trade? It was still unders but it was far better then what they were going to get.

That would be unders, but a better deal (albeit slightly) then the one we have currently. If North are in the same position next year it would be Pick 27 x 2.

Throw in Preuss.

Remember the Dangerfield trade? It was still unders but it was far better then what they were going to get.
Unfortunately you can’t have Preuss we’d need to trade him to get points back this year. With Tarryn Thomas and possibly Bailey Scott being academy/father son.
Either that or you can take next years 2nd and Preuss?

you’ll soon start to see we don’t have the currency to get this done.

Last edited:
It’s speculative......
It's not enough to just keep saying that. You have to explain how. Which part of it?

You would have to give me the details of your hypothetical.

But there are absolutely some players I'd be willing to jettison if it meant keeping Gaff.

Of course, the club has its own, more detailed view. I've never suggested otherwise.

We're talking about an extra 300k-400k per year. Given that amount, what domino effect is there that would be worse than losing Gaff?

Kelly is coming back to Melbourne after next season. We are keeping next year's 1st so that we can make a play for him.
So let me get this straight.

Gaff is interested in North.

North are interested in Gaff.

North will not trade for Gaff because they want Kelly.

Kelly is coming back to Melbourne, but hasn't shown interest in North?

There is a lot of risk to this strategy, considering there is already an A grader that would like to play for your club.

You would be willing to make this sacrifice? There are 10 other Victorian based clubs that Kelly could go to for all we know.

Where is the Kelly to North rumour coming from? North? North and their war chest?

A few footy pundits (Jay Clark, Gerard Whateley among others) have mentioned a Kelly to North in 2019 handshake deal across this season. Is it true? Who knows but those at the coalface. If we are still holding our 2019 first rounder come the end of this window though the rumour will remain.

It's not enough to just keep saying that. You have to explain how. Which part of it?

You would have to give me the details of your hypothetical.

But there are absolutely some players I'd be willing to jettison if it meant keeping Gaff.

Of course, the club has its own, more detailed view. I've never suggested otherwise.

We're talking about an extra 300k-400k per year. Given that amount, what domino effect is there that would be worse than losing Gaff?
Tell me how you can make that assumption without speculating?

I don’t really care. You just need to admit that you are speculating as much as anyone on here.

As for the PSD threat, I used it as an example to debunk your theory that Band 1 Compo is the worst outcome, because clearly it isn’t. I’m not saying it will happen but it’s clear that losing a player for nothing is worse than Band 1 Compo.

Your talk of incentives are nothing more than a veiled narrative of what you as a fan of the club wants to happen.

It may happen as you want it, but everything you have said is nothing more than guesswork, which by definition is speculation.

$300-400K do you know that is the actual figure or are you speculating again?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So let me get this straight.

Gaff is interested in North.

North are interested in Gaff.

North will not trade for Gaff because they want Kelly.

Kelly is coming back to Melbourne, but hasn't shown interest in North?

There is a lot of risk to this strategy, considering there is already an A grader that would like to play for your club.

You would be willing to make this sacrifice? There are 10 other Victorian based clubs that Kelly could go to for all we know.
No one knows if North will trade or not? No one even knows if Gaff wants to come to North?

But what part of if he does and we can’t facilitate the trade WCE want, we walk away is hard to comprehend?

It’s not a difficult concept. You seem to think that just because we have interest we are duty bound to make the trade no matter the cost.

Tell me how you can make that assumption without speculating?
What assumption?

I don’t really care. You just need to admit that you are speculating as much as anyone on here.
I'm not. I'm assessing the incentives. You, on the other hand, insisted several times "this will happen". I'm not doing that.

As for the PSD threat, I used it as an example to debunk your theory that Band 1 Compo is the worst outcome, because clearly it isn’t. I’m not saying it will happen but it’s clear that losing a player for nothing is worse than Band 1 Compo.
It's not credible.

Your talk of incentives are nothing more than a veiled narrative of what you as a fan of the club wants to happen.
No. Those incentives exist or don't exist independent of what I want. Whether the club sees it the same way is of course an open question.

It may happen as you want it, but everything you have said is nothing more than guesswork, which by definition is speculation.
It's not guesswork. We know roughly where Band 1 will fall. We can therefore measure the other incentives against that base.

$300-400K do you know that is the actual figure or are you speculating again
I am relying on reported figures. Are you suggesting the gap is even greater?

Why are you so wound up about it? I am merely expressing a view about what incentives present themselves to WC. I don't claim to have perfect information but nor am I insisting "this will happen". Where there is a degree of acknowledged uncertainty, I avoid making hard and fast assertions that can't be reasonably supported.

Last edited:
I don't think you're stupid, I just think you're kerrazy.

You're right though, it's probably a debate that doesn't need to resort to personal jibes.

Here's a jibe for you, now completely out of WCE or North, yah muppet!

Here's a jibe for you, now completely out of WCE or North, yah muppet!

giphy.gif

What assumption?

I'm not. I'm assessing the incentives.

It's not credible.

No. Those incentives exist or don't exist independent of what I want. Whether the club sees it the same way is of course an open question.

It's not guesswork. We know roughly where Band 1 will fall. We can therefore measure the other incentives against that base.

I am relying on reported figures.

Why are you so wound up about it? I am merely expressing a view about what incentives present themselves to WC. I don't claim to have perfect information but nor am I insisting "this will happen".
I’m not wound up at all lol

I just find it amusing that you accuse other people of speculation, when everything you have posted is pure speculation.

It’s is guesswork, or are you now passing off everything you have posted as fact? Lol

No one knows if North will trade or not? No one even knows if Gaff wants to come to North?

But what part of if he does and we can’t facilitate the trade WCE want, we walk away is hard to comprehend?

It’s not a difficult concept. You seem to think that just because we have interest we are duty bound to make the trade no matter the cost.

I'm just awfully surprised at the North's supposed attitude towards this whole thing. Not going to restate my opinion, its been made multiple times.

We will just leave it at that.

I'm just awfully surprised at the North's supposed attitude towards this whole thing. Not going to restate my opinion, its been made multiple times.

We will just leave it at that.

You're only surprised because you have an emotional attachment to the whole situation.

Remove this Banner Ad

Recommitted Andrew Gaff [re-signed]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back