Andrew Lovett - suspended indefinately

Remove this Banner Ad

While St Kilda has a history with Milne and Montagna, this has Essendon FC culture written all over it.
LOL@ a couple of boozey Blues.

Yep - says a lot about the culture Knights is promoting at Essendon. He knew he was a bad egg and didn't want him. Where are all the people criticising Knights for the trade now?? That being said, innocent until proven guilty.....

This is an alleged assault. Lovett has not yet been charged, nor convicted. Can we please uphold the "innocent until proven guilty" line just for once.

And it would be nice if the Milne and Montagna incident was not brought out of the dustbin of history again. Despite what people might suspect, the two were never convicted of any offence and they have to be given the benefit of the doubt.

All good and all fair comment except that Lovett has been indefinitely suspended by the club pending investigation while Milne and Montagna were never suspended, not even for a day and were allowed to play and train while investigations continued.

Either

(a) theres one rule for some and other rules for others, or
(b) StKilda have got a lot stricter over the over the years.

Its got to be one or the other, but I cant seem to get a straight answer.

All good and all fair comment except that Lovett has been indefinitely suspended by the club pending investigation while Milne and Montagna were never suspended, not even for a day and were allowed to play and train while investigations continued.

Either

Where do you expect to get the answer from? and would there be a faint possibility that you yourself could choose A or B

Even if he isn't guilty, it's still worth him being suspended simply for the fact he puts himself in these situations TIME and TIME again. You don't just fall into these kind of situations, you get yourself into them. He was obviously doing something stupid for a women to even go to the extent of pressing charges...

Either

Grant Thomas was the players best mate.

New coach, admin, team "Trademark" etc...

I think Lyon just refuses to put up with any crap.

Even if he isn't guilty, it's still worth him being suspended simply for the fact he puts himself in these situations TIME and TIME again. You don't just fall into these kind of situations, you get yourself into them. He was obviously doing something stupid for a women to even go to the extent of pressing charges...

Agreed.:thumbsu:

Lovett has to be sacked if the allegations are true, I was critical of the essendon footy club for trading him as he is an exceptional talent on field but obviously a scatter brain off it

Either

In 2004 there was a completly different board/coach/CEO/president in place, and not to mention the Saints have tried very hard in recent years to change their culture so its not a surprise different action was taken to this incident involving Lovett than with Milne and Montagna.

Anyways I'm very dissapointed with this... it really has been a shit trade/draft year for the Saints.

I just hope its a media beat up, but chances are its not.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Either

The answer is reasonably self-evident Timmy. Australian society as a whole seems to have grown a lot more intolerant of footballer's indiscretions as the years have gone on. Whilst it has generally taken the clubs a little longer to realise this they are moving to conform with public opinion and correspondingly the penalties set up by the clubs have grown harsher and harsher over time.

The answer is reasonably self-evident Timmy. Australian society as a whole seems to have grown a lot more intolerant of footballer's indiscretions as the years have gone on. Whilst it has generally taken the clubs a little longer to realise this they are moving to conform with public opinion and correspondingly the penalties set up by the clubs have grown harsher and harsher over time.

Maybe to a person of some intelligence.

looking forward to the st kilda deflection here

Think you would have had that by now and quite frankly there is nought to be seen.

Disappointing for the Saints - gave the guy an opportunity to turn it around and they have been badly let down.

As for the constant comments from Timmy Thomastown re: differing standards - I think two indiscretions (one allegedly) before the season even begins at a new club justifys immediate suspension. Life is a two way street contrary to what Lovett may think and of course the attitude to issues at all clubs have well and truly changed over the last decade so why you would think their action needs justifying is beyond me.

looking forward to the st kilda deflection here

no deflection here, the bloke is a peanut

If he is sacked I'd hope nobody would repeat his actions in under say, what 3 months?

Why the immediate 'indefinite suspension' if there has to be a belief in innocence until proven guilty? Why can't the Saints come out and say, 'look, Andrew says he is innocent, and the law states he is until proven otherwise, so he'll train as per usual'.

Remember, the phrase "innocent until proven guilty" is only a conceit of the legal system, not of AFL clubs' internal business.

Internally, the club has made a decision based on the facts as it understands them, and is not bound by 'beyond reasonable doubt" "innocent until..." etc etc.

let me put it like this...imagine that at a club function, two players have a fight, and one seriously assaults the other with a pool cue.

Publicly, the club will say "we are assisting police..." and "no charges have been proved", but internally, the club will know who was at fault, prior history, etc etc.

The saints were very quick to eliminate any other Saints players who were there from any further investigation, so perhaps they have some idea that the facts they have been presented with, at this stage, outside the evidential restrictions of the criminal court system, warrant an immediate suspension.

Either

First time offender v repeat offender/ brownie points, call it what you will

work it out Timmy,

I agree with you on this one, shocking decision from the start.

You can hardly hold St Kilda to account here, except they may have mis read his character, but thats about all they are guilty of.

Lovett, if guilty, is a complete waste of talent and should consider his actions from the inside of some institution where he will have plenty of time to consider them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Andrew Lovett - suspended indefinately

Remove this Banner Ad

Back