Anthony Albanese - How long? -2-

Remove this Banner Ad

I did read your post. They haven't capped rent increases. The 10% is an arbitrary if.

What happens if cost increase exceeds the cap increase?
I didn't say they had capped rent increases.

I said they limited frequency of rent increases.

Read the post.

I have. we were talking about caps on rental costs.
Yes.

And my post showed that the mechanism for caps is already in place in some jurisdictions. Rental bidding is already illegal in Victoria, and now in Queensland. I don't know about other states.

So, for example, capping rental prices in Queensland would not require anything more than a regulation change.

So anyone who says it's impossible or even just difficult to do is not being honest, or doesn't understand how easily it could be done.

That includes journalists and politicians.

Yes.

And my post showed that the mechanism for caps is already in place in some jurisdictions. Rental bidding is already illegal in Victoria, and now in Queensland. I don't know about other states.

So, for example, capping rental prices in Queensland would not require anything more than a regulation change.

So anyone who says it's impossible or even just difficult to do is not being honest, or doesn't understand how easily it could be done.

That includes journalists and politicians.

I'm not against the idea.
How do they determine what the cap is for each individual property?

I’d like to wager if all the house space, office space, leisure space indoors was divided by the population, australia would be just about the highest in the world for a large population.

It’s a problem we chose to have collectively

Yes they should. And the housing boom which has enriched a small group of landlords has delayed the ability of millions of under 40s to retire by a decade or more.

We should not have a society where a small group of people live off property rents that come at the expense of everyone else. Thats they way the world used to be. We should not go back to it.

That's the way it is.
There is a huge amount of sacrifice spending your 20s building a portfolio. Not having a family, not travelling ect.

The pay-off is early retirement.

That's the way it is.
There is a huge amount of sacrifice spending your 20s building a portfolio. Not having a family, not travelling ect.

The pay-off is early retirement.
There is zero sacrifice for capital gains. That is just luck that has resulted from governments constraining land releases. Its not earned or deserved. 50 percent tax discounts on capital gains is also not earned or deserved. Wage earners get no such discounts on tax.

I’d like to wager if all the house space, office space, leisure space indoors was divided by the population, australia would be just about the highest in the world for a large population.

It’s a problem we chose to have collectively
Is it a problem or a good intent? Why should we follow thr rest of the world's failure and have over populated, congested cities. Melbourne and Sydney would be so much better with a million less people in them

On SM-A136B using BigFooty.com mobile app

There is zero sacrifice for capital gains. That is just luck that has resulted from governments constraining land releases. Its not earned or deserved. 50 percent tax discounts on capital gains is also not earned or deserved. Wage earners get no such discounts on tax.

You sacrifice your life to own investment properties.
It's fantasy to think every landlord is sitting there with no actual job living off rental income.
You would have to own 5 properties outright to be able to do that.

I work with alot of new Australians. They are the ones buying their own houses because they are prepared to work multiple jobs to do it.

It's the lazy entitled white Australians who want to own their own house by just working a fulltime job.

Why didn't you do it as well if it was so easy?

Imo you make your own luck.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The capital gains can be unfair.
Someone who waits 20 years and sells their property compared to someone who plays short term games and makes capital gains constantly.

Aside from the frontrunning issues, what happens if costs go up faster than the allowable rent increase?

Short-term covid measures aren't going to translate well into permanent policy.
If investors can't afford their investment they're able to sell

If renters can't afford rent they're homeless

You can probably work out which one of those I'm going to think is a problem

Remove this Banner Ad

Anthony Albanese - How long? -2-

Remove this Banner Ad

Back