Anthony Albanese - How long? -2-

Remove this Banner Ad

2PP is now 50 each in the lastest poll

primary vote for labor is going down, primary vote for coalition is going up

not equally, more more people dropping labor from first preference are moving to minor parties or independents than to the coalition

In quite a few electorates the primary vote collapsed for both the majors at the last election.

People have just had enough of both of them and they both treat us as useful idiots, a means to an end to gain power.

The LNP won't win an election by being Labor lite because it will come down to a popularity contest and as dull as Albo is, Dutton isn't winning that.

The Liberals need a complete makeover because their outlook on life is no longer palatable or welcome.

One non-politician (I can't remember who) spoke at the National Press Club a while ago and said if you use nuclear power you might as well burn hundred-dollar bills to make electricity.

Or the howard era commissioned report that concluded a carbon tax was essential to make a nuclear industry competitive

Why do they keep digging it up when it’s ‘do not resuscitate’

Nuclear is a ruse. As Gralin posted there is a minimum 20 year lead time. You could probably double that.

And that is the whole point. 20+ more years of propping up coal and gas and diverting money away from renewables is exactly what they want.

Propping up coal and gas is the whole point of talking about nuclear.

And then the inevitable breakdowns will happen and new gas power stations will fill the void and then delays will occur, and we can have more more coal and gas, and then…..

It is nothing more than the Liberals kicking it down the road - as usual.

They never actually fix anything.

Last edited:
I had high hopes for Albo. For a bloke that used to talk very tough on tories, he sure isn't the lefty he pretended to be all those years
And yet the alp didn’t win the previous election because people couldn’t cop shorten’s decent ideas - the public get what they voted for. Alp will comfortably win the next election and by then they may have repaired some of the damage from 10 years of absolute rubbish and might actually do some good stuff then.

And yet the alp didn’t win the previous election because people couldn’t cop shorten’s decent ideas - the public get what they voted for. Alp will comfortably win the next election and by then they may have repaired some of the damage from 10 years of absolute rubbish and might actually do some good stuff then.
Yep, Labor learnt a hard lesson on going to an election with actual progressive policies lol

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Conservatives prefer power for the sake of it, and they're generally too lazy, corrupt or incurious to do anything with it.
They do plenty with that power. And they do everything they can to ensure no one talks about what they are doing.

The point of politics for the elite is to control the government, government policy and of course treasury for their own benefit. That is how Murdoch ends up getting 10's of millions of dollars a year for "women sport" as an example.

That is not what government is meant to be for obviously.

A cost of living crisis isn’t going to get solved with a couple of radical policy actions, which are just as likely to cause more harm.

Sensible measured policies to stop long term bad trends and start up good trends are what’s required, but the good news might only be apparent after the next election

In quite a few electorates the primary vote collapsed for both the majors at the last election.

People have just had enough of both of them and they both treat us as useful idiots, a means to an end to gain power.

The LNP won't win an election by being Labor lite because it will come down to a popularity contest and as dull as Albo is, Dutton isn't winning that.

The Liberals need a complete makeover because their outlook on life is no longer palatable or welcome.
The LNPs problem is the ALP in many ways is LNP light whilst key leaders(and donors) in the LNP are now Trump light. The only way the libs win is by coming back to the centre, coming up wtih policies, running a proper campaign against Albo when he fails and bring the teals bacl otherwise they are surrendering the bulk of the political spectrum to the ALP.

On SM-A125F using BigFooty.com mobile app

The LNPs problem is the ALP in many ways is LNP light whilst key leaders(and donors) in the LNP are now Trump light. The only way the libs win is by coming back to the centre, coming up wtih policies, running a proper campaign against Albo when he fails and bring the teals bacl otherwise they are surrendering the bulk of the political spectrum to the ALP.

On SM-A125F using BigFooty.com mobile app

The libs, while getting some shots at labor on target, are als attaching weights to their own legs.

Right wing govts all over are recognising climate action is needed, not these muppets

A cost of living crisis isn’t going to get solved with a couple of radical policy actions, which are just as likely to cause more harm.

Sensible measured policies to stop long term bad trends and start up good trends are what’s required, but the good news might only be apparent after the next election

I sincerely feel sorry for the younger generation, these cost of living pressures aren’t going away anytime soon.

you know if the coalition was in power they'd put together some sort of cash relief package that would help their mates more than the poors

but it would help the poors

because that is what they do, they use opportunities like this for political purposes, look at the start of the pandemic

So true. Have an American friend. Before the last election said she wanted Trump to get back in because he helped her with tax cuts. She got an extra $50 a fortnight.

Did a little research. 95% of that package went to high earners and big business and the low earner tax cuts were sunsetted for a few years down the track. Explained this, they didn't care. trump got me more $$$$$$, that's all that mattered.

So true. Have an American friend. Before the last election said she wanted Trump to get back in because he helped her with tax cuts. She got an extra $50 a fortnight.

Did a little research. 95% of that package went to high earners and big business and the low earner tax cuts were sunsetted for a few years down the track. Explained this, they didn't care. trump got me more $$$$$$, that's all that mattered.
Tax cuts = increased national debt.

It is the only way they get paid for.

Morrison ran the national debt up to $1 trillion and the LNP thinks less revenue is the answer. In a high inflation high interest rate environment.

There is not a lot of talk about how much the interest on this additional debt is going to cost.

The stage 3 tax cuts are going to cost 1.5 times Victoria’s state debt, for nothing in return, and conservatives are losing their collective minds over Victoria’s state debt.

Tax cuts = increased national debt.

It is the only way they get paid for.

Morrison ran the national debt up to $1 trillion and the LNP thinks less revenue is the answer. In a high inflation high interest rate environment.

There is not a lot of talk about how much the interest on this additional debt is going to cost.

The stage 3 tax cuts are going to cost 1.5 times Victoria’s state debt, for nothing in return, and conservatives are losing their collective minds over Victoria’s state debt.

I’m a huge advocate for taxation reform, problem being - no politician will ever take that to an election, they’d get smoked.
Imo - A non-deductible consumption tax is the only way you’ll get the ultra rich to pay tax, but we have one big problem - big business own our politicians, thus taxation reform will likely never happen until it’s too late.

The problem as you’ve mention above, our state and federal debts are out of control, then consider we’re about to lose 20% of our GDP with the mining and resources sector being dissolved. I sincerely hope I’m wrong, but i feel this country is headed for a huge economic black hole.

It seems to me, as a non-expert observer, that it wasn't the referendum that has brought the government down to level pegging in the polls. It's the combination of that, fatigue about inflation, the immigration detention issue and the China sonar issue.

I think the detention issue has been the most potent because:

• a lot of people are ignorant with virtually no understanding of the independence of the courts
  • a lot of people are xenophobic and think 'how could Albo let these non-citizen crims out - they need to go back to where they came from or be locked up'.

The idea of foreign brown people who are convicted criminals being released into the community is evocative. Such nuances as the fact that crims are released all the time, and the High Court cannot be overruled, are lost on many.

It seems to me, as a non-expert observer, that it wasn't the referendum that has brought the government down to level pegging in the polls. It's the combination of that, fatigue about inflation, the immigration detention issue and the China sonar issue.

I think the detention issue has been the most potent because:

• a lot of people are ignorant with virtually no understanding of the independence of the courts
  • a lot of people are xenophobic and think 'how could Albo let these non-citizen crims out - they need to go back to where they came from or be locked up'.

The idea of foreign brown people who are convicted criminals being released into the community is evocative. Such nuances as the fact that crims are released all the time, and the High Court cannot be overruled, are lost on many.

I would humbly suggest on the courts, it's not a lack of understanding per se, it's more that in this particular case they see the issue as solely being in the purview of the executive (rather than the courts), and more widely they are unhappy with the courts and their officers in general.

Which ties into the last point: convicted criminals of a caucasian persuasion aren't exactly the most popular people to begin with. I'm not sure the ethnic background of the people in question in this case is making much difference public perception wise.

Remove this Banner Ad

Anthony Albanese - How long? -2-

Remove this Banner Ad

Back