Anthony Albanese - How long? -2-

Remove this Banner Ad

That's only if you assume that the $300 gets taken out of the economy (e.g. people essentially putting it in the bank). With all the other cost pressures around at the moment that is highly, highly unlikely.

Chalmers tried unsuccessfully to prosecute this case last night. It doesn't stack up.

It’s not going to be $300 off energy bills to every household that drives inflation up.

It’s going to be this round of tax cuts.

Big Brain Thinking GIF by ENCE

Education and defense being almost equal is an indictment on this country.
Under the Constitution, education is primarily the responsibility of State and Territory Governments. Defence is obviously a Commonwealth responsibility.

It’s not going to be $300 off energy bills to every household that drives inflation up.

All the modeling on where inflation is heading was already taking into account the original stage 3 tax cuts established under the previous government. The Labor governement hasn't significantly changed the total amount of tax that will be put back into the economy, just redistributed the way it's given. The models don't seem to suggest at this stage that that redistribution will substantially change how Stage 3 will impact the inflation rate, but we'll have to see how that works out in the real world.

All the modeling on where inflation is heading was already taking into account the original stage 3 tax cuts established under the previous government. The Labor governement hasn't significantly changed the total amount of tax that will be put back into the economy, just redistributed the way it's given. The models don't seem to suggest at this stage that that redistribution will substantially change how Stage 3 will impact the inflation rate, but we'll have to see how that works out in the real world.
There could be a bit of difference at the edges, it's a broad assumption but you would assume lower income earners are more likely to put the additional money straight back into the economy compared to higher income earners, who might be more inclined to save some.

Gotta say though, given they are saying that the $300 energy rebate/credit will actually decrease inflationary pressures, I'm beginning to doubt the wisdom of the Treasury department...

It all depends on how much of the household savings has been deteriorated from The massive stimulus from Covid and low interest rates…
People’s disposable income is still at a very low point.
The main purpose of any tax cut is to drive the economy by increasing people’s borrowing power, thus house prices will continue to climb.

The banks win again.

Mate, for you and peetoo I am not arguing specifically about the tax cuts (in relation to the $300 "handout" anyway) and I think given Labor were handed a steaming turd by Frydenberg when they took office, I also think they have redistributed them in a more equitable fashion.

But we can readily expect the LNP and Murdoch goon squad to argue that the $300 will be the tipping point on inflation should it head north post July. This is at the same time the tax cuts come into play but they'll conveniently ignore that.

Arguing that the $300 in isolation will trigger a rise in inflation is an utter nonsense. It's literally less than $6 per week per household which equates to around $2.40 per week per person (average household in Australia is around 2.5 persons). It's no more likely to trigger inflation than I am to win Powerball. If inflation goes up (and it's a big IF) it will be the tax cuts that were the lever, not a paltry handout of $2.40 per week per person.

But ignorant shills be ignorant shills.

Last edited:
It all depends on how much of the household savings has been deteriorated from The massive stimulus from Covid and low interest rates…
The main purpose of any tax cut is to drive the economy by increasing people’s borrowing power, thus house prices will continue to climb.

The banks win again.

Mate, refer to my post above. $2.40 per week per person is hardly going to trigger inflation.

It's a rubbish argument perpetrated by disingenuous people.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mate, refer to my post above. $2.40 per week per person is hardly going to trigger inflation.

It's a rubbish argument perpetrated by disingenuous people.
Remember when we used to rely on the ABC to provide quality independent analysis and commentary on economic issues to debunk such claims?

Their post budget analysis was a refuge for those seeking a facts based assessment of the short and long term impacts of spending measures rather than the politically motivated and shallow assessments of the tabloids and their broadcast affiliates.

Where has that gone? Case in point:

Remember when we used to rely on the ABC to provide quality independent analysis and commentary on economic issues to debunk such claims?

Their post budget analysis was a refuge for those seeking a facts based assessment of the short and long term impacts of spending measures rather than the politically motivated and shallow assessments of the tabloids and their broadcast affiliates.

Where has that gone? Case in point:

Jim Chalmers has questions to answer in his role as Treasurer. But all Sarah Ferguson did was grandstand the other night.

It was embarrassing.

We live in the era post federal education funding overall going up year after year after year being called a cut because the increase wasn't what a previous government had included in their forward estimates, so this dissolution of the meaning of words is hardly surprising.

hey, does this tenant of his in sydney have a lease? how does it work in nsw when you have a tenant with a lease and you decide to sell? i know in qld you have to honour that lease or pay reasonable costs for relocation of the tenant in certain circumatances

edit: nothing to do with him being the landlord and the beat up in media - just curious about the law in nsw and how it may differ to qld. i am likely to sell my tenanted house at some stage in next year or 2 is all

hey, does this tenant of his in sydney have a lease? how does it work in nsw when you have a tenant with a lease and you decide to sell? i know in qld you have to honour that lease or pay reasonable costs for relocation of the tenant in certain circumatances

edit: nothing to do with him being the landlord and the beat up in media - just curious about the law in nsw and how it may differ to qld. i am likely to sell my tenanted house at some stage in next year or 2 is all

Sometimes it's a beat up and a yarn at the same time. Probably a good reason why elected officials shouldn't have investment property portfolios, especially PMs.

nvm - just heard he was on a month to month so no lease in place and the 90 days notice is all ok

Sometimes it's a beat up and a yarn at the same time. Probably a good reason why elected officials shouldn't have investment property portfolios, especially PMs.
Yep. And a reminder...

Flanagan and his former partner, Chrissy Flanagan, had previously been public fans of Albanese.

Two years ago, Chrissy Flanagan posted a video on TikTok praising him as an “amazing” landlord for having reduced the rent by 25% at the start of the Covid-19 pandemic in recognition that the couple were small business owners in the struggling hospitality sector and then leaving it at the reduced rate for the next two years.

“I am the definitive proof that Anthony Albanese as prime minister is going to fix housing affordability because he’s already done it for me,” Chrissy Flanagan said in her TikTok post.

We live in the era post federal education funding overall going up year after year after year being called a cut because the increase wasn't what a previous government had included in their forward estimates, so this dissolution of the meaning of words is hardly surprising.
Yep.

What matters when it comes to spending on education it's not so much the quantum of expenditure but where and how its spent and, as with all public expenditure, what outcomes are being achieved that matters.

These are long term issues and the PISA data comparing Australia to the world leaders in education outcomes make it pretty clear, to me at least, it's something that DOES need major reform. We've had our share of taxpayer funded inquiries and reviews that say exactly the same thing.

The tabloid focus on headline numbers from individual budgets takes the focus away from this long game but sadly the electoral impact of that commentary is what politicians focus on. Made even worse by the three year (often less) electoral cycle at the Commonwealth level.

The banks win again.
Since when?

Mate, for you and peetoo I am not arguing specifically about the tax cuts (in relation to the $300 "handout" anyway) and I think given Labor were handed a steaming turd by Frydenberg when they took office, I also think they have redistributed them in a more equitable fashion.

But we can readily expect the LNP and Murdoch goon squad to argue that the $300 will be the tipping point on inflation should it head north post July. This is at the same time the tax cuts come into play but they'll conveniently ignore that.

Arguing that the $300 in isolation will trigger a rise in inflation is an utter nonsense. It's literally less than $6 per week per household which equates to around $2.40 per week per person (average household in Australia is around 2.5 persons). It's no more likely to trigger inflation than I am to win Powerball. If inflation goes up (and it's a big IF) it will be the tax cuts that were the lever, not a paltry handout of $2.40 per week per person.

But ignorant shills be ignorant shills.
That may all be true, but Chalmers stood up on Budget night and said that the measure would be COUNTER inflationary. I cannot fathom how they have come to this conclusion. That is the rod that he has made for his own back.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back