Anthony Albanese - How long? -2-

Remove this Banner Ad

Is there a possible society in which the government pays you to live from age 65 to as much as 100 these days with no further contributions being made by you? Possibly. Is it even remotely within the realms of possibility given the current frameworks in place? No. Super is a good policy for the times and thinking the government will give you a sweet pension (and it has to be sweet or people will be complaining they are consigning seniors to poverty) for potentially 35 years is real fantasy land stuff.
yes I am aware you are a rusted on better things aren't possible type

might surprise you to know people with a pension are already living in poverty and its in part because of super

because you can bet big money that if everyone was looking at a future on the pension and seeing what its like now they're be an uproar about how ****ed it is

When they first brought out compulsory super , it was introduced as a cost to the employer.
Then there was a system where you could get more from the employer if you added a percentage of your take home pay.
So technically its not your wages, its a pay rise you never got.
when super first came out it was explained that it wasn't a free payrise that it would impact wages and payrises in the future

that your payrise was going into super and not your pocket

it is your wages

Very happy with my returns from CBUS over the years and this is from someone with a decent handle on investing. So many simple types just won't put anything away for their future so unfortunately have to be pushed.

I wasn't referring to individuals more about the collective. 11% of the weekly wage bill of Australia goes to these finance blokes to invest as they like. Something seems off to me.

Is there a connection between the insane house prices and super? I don't know.

I read that 34% of the ASX is owned by Super funds. That seems like extraordinary power.

Peoples wages are going into holding up the stock market. Is this benefiting the people as a whole? I don't know.

Smarter people than me can work it out. IMO, if it smells like a rat then maybe it is a rat.

I wasn't referring to individuals more about the collective. 11% of the weekly wage bill of Australia goes to these finance blokes to invest as they like. Something seems off to me.

Is there a connection between the insane house prices and super? I don't know.

I read that 34% of the ASX is owned by Super funds. That seems like extraordinary power.

Peoples wages are going into holding up the stock market. Is this benefiting the people as a whole? I don't know.

Smarter people than me can work it out. IMO, if it smells like a rat then maybe it is a rat.
That is nowhere near true. The rules and regulations around super are incredibly stringent (as is the reporting and disclosure requirements). There is also for every single individual to have a say in how their funds are invested.

Am I benefited by earning between 6-8% on funds I put into super each year so that I have either a) more funds available per year post-retirement or b) a shorter working life? Yes, every day yes.

Same goes for every worker who has funds invested in super (which is everyone).

yes I am aware you are a rusted on better things aren't possible type

might surprise you to know people with a pension are already living in poverty and its in part because of super

because you can bet big money that if everyone was looking at a future on the pension and seeing what its like now they're be an uproar about how ****ed it is

when super first came out it was explained that it wasn't a free payrise that it would impact wages and payrises in the future

that your payrise was going into super and not your pocket

it is your wages

The goverment made my employer pay into super.
The goverment made my employer do lots of things, like safety for example. Damn them for wasting my potential pay to provide a safe workplace.

I've never had my pay determined by anything except market rate.

Are you suggesting superannuation be abolished altogether?

I look at it as an insurance fund for idiots who'd rather put money into depreciating assets than investing towards their future.

The pension should be a safety net, nothing more. It's not a right.
Exactly for those right at the bottom, it's never been intended as a retirement fund for average people that worked all their lives but couldn't be arsed to do some future planning and put something away.

The incoming NT government are a good example of the Labor malaise, they'll come in and implement significant reforms immediately. Labor have come into government and tinkered at the edges of previous government policy.
That's Labor's biggest problem. Not going hard enough fast enough.

It's like they're fearful of upsetting people doing it.

Much more likely they are just pretending to be a progressive party.

More like they don't want to actually change it but say they do to get elected

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Major universities smashed in Labor about-face on overseas students​

Julie Hare
Updated Aug 27, 2024 – 7.18pm, first published at 1.15pm
Save
Gift this article
The country’s most prestigious universities will be the hardest hit by the imposition of overseas enrolment caps and the repeal of a policy intended to prioritise students who were the least likely to quit studying and enter the workforce.
Education Minister Jason Clare abandoned that policy, which Labor introduced only nine months ago, as part of an overhaul of the international student market that will cut numbers by 30 per cent and which has left the sector in turmoil.​

Cut 30% on the post covid number just back to pre covid levels. Big headline not really action.

They have made progress on cutting the LNPs dodgy policies but there needs to be a stronger link to skills,,ie. if you have not completed training relevant to a critical skills shortage, it counts for nothing if they wish to apply for a further visa or residency . There also needs to be a higher levy on all rentals to non citizen students with all money going to social housing.

It would also be great if caps (maybe 15%) were introduced on single country contribution to our intake to increase diversity (and resilience) and encourage more students from our smaller regional partners strengthening our ties with them and their development.

On SM-A136B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
to its everlasting shame, our gov’t has fairly much turned its gaze away from the horrific suffering of a largely unprotected people. in favor of a callous, corrupt, terrorist regime. even when it comes to its citizens. you expect better from a labor gov't.

Could somebody, anybody, tell me a thing that the Albanese Govt has done which has been useful in the past 18 months. Sure, the Libs wreck the joint, but at least they do something. The Albanese Govt will be remembered as one which promised a lot, but squibbed on every single thing it promised at the election.

Voice = announcement, big spending then failure
NACC = announcement, big spending then failure
Robodebt = good independent Royal Commission, then Government response failure

There's been some minor tinkering on minimum wages and childcare subsidies but anything they've done in that area has more than been swallowed up by inflation due to record corporate profits. And they've pretended that there's nothing they can do about that.

Could somebody, anybody, tell me a thing that the Albanese Govt has done which has been useful in the past 18 months. Sure, the Libs wreck the joint, but at least they do something. The Albanese Govt will be remembered as one which promised a lot, but squibbed on every single thing it promised at the election.

There's been some minor tinkering on minimum wages and childcare subsidies but anything they've done in that area has more than been swallowed up by inflation due to record corporate profits. And they've pretended that there's nothing they can do about that.
and i think the way he's mishandled the cmfeu matter will bite him on the bum electorsally. weed out the corruption, but destroying a union in the process is what you expect from the reactionaries, not labor.

albo is weak, but i expected better from wong. on the genocide.

Whilst she is an improvement on her predecessor and is very smart, Senator Wong has shown she is weak on every issue and needs to be moved on. There is more to being a foreign minister than just appeasing everyone.

albo is weak, but i expected better from wong. on the genocide.

She still maintains that she did the right thing following the party line on same sex marriage, and that Fatima Payman was wrong to stand up for what she believed in... Do you really expect better?

Whilst she is an improvement on her predecessor and is very smart, Senator Wong has shown she is weak on every issue and needs to be moved on. There is more to being a foreign minister than just appeasing everyone.

i reluctantly have to agree. she’s been a standout in the senate. at one point i was hoping she’d move to the reps as she looked every bit like a leader.

They would argue their childcare policy, changes to stage three tax cuts and surpluses are their biggest achievements, I would imagine. The NACC is also good policy though it would be nice if it actually did something.

Remove this Banner Ad

Anthony Albanese - How long? -2-

Remove this Banner Ad

Back