Anthony Albanese - How long? -2-

Remove this Banner Ad

Come on mate. Let's tell it how it is....the government was worried the housing bubble was going to pop once interest rates started rising, and they wanted to try and put a floor under the market.

On top of that, they wanted lower wage growth to try and keep interest rates low, and they weren't to happy seeing the rents on their investments flatline as they did for a number of years leading up to and including COVID.

The idea that we need to import people to work for $20 an hour in aged care is a bullshit narrative. If we are struggling to get workers into those industry it is because they are poorly paid and the workers and flogged without meal breaks etc.

Pay em properly and they will come.
Aged care providers won’t pay them properly. Never have before and never will.

With low pay and high housing costs, fail to see the attraction to come.
Even crazier the people had to complete bogus degrees at bogus universities first

What an absolute crap fest left behind. What were they doing in that time?
Paying dodgy boat operators to bring asylum seekers to come = evil
Paying dodgy universities for dodgy degrees to get on your pizza e-bike = smart business
The attraction to come is from leaving shithole countries wherre there are existential issues (bombs, guns, corruption) and the hope of improved life via education for children.

without migrants there aren't people to do the work (lower paid healthcare jobs, aged care etc).
That rationale sets the path for unending migration to backfill roles supporting the ever increasing population driven completely by migration. I'd rather do what Japan is doing and work through such issues domestically without chasing an unending migration Ponzi scheme. Let the domestic market deal with it.

That rationale sets the path for unending migration to backfill roles supporting the ever increasing population driven completely by migration. I'd rather do what Japan is doing and work through such issues domestically without chasing an unending migration Ponzi scheme. Let the domestic market deal with it.
they will never do that while we are a capitalist economy

stopping or lowering immigration will also not fix the problems with housing because its not the cause of problems with housing

they need housing policy change

You don't reckon importing a million warm bodies in 2 years has anything to do with the housing crisis?

Yes or no?

Its also getting pretty hard to see a GP when you're sick. Possibly the same reason contributing.
Then there's new roads that are already too small.

i mean they work overseas

are you by chance a land lord or real estate agent because those are the two groups that tend to have this reaction to what is a good idea

People who have invested a lot , fairly recently are subject to interest rates. So they are more or less forced to put their rent up. Real estate agents encourage others, who, depending on equity , may have not issues with interest payments to follow the former group. ( RE agents love their percentage , they should make flat rate compulsory, its the same amount of work managing a shit hole or a mansion ).

If there were interest rate caps, people would be less likely to over-extend to purchase a property or they may even be forced to sell ( far less sympathy for an investor being forced to sell than someone being forced to sell their family home ). They would know the exact rental income they could get , and avoid buying with too much loss.
As well as keeping rent at a set level, it would create less demand for housing, so it should make housing more affordable.

Japan has the population to act more insular

We do not, but will in a decade or so

Blaming migrants for everything is so ****ing boring.

homer simpson sleeping GIF

(Log in to remove this ad.)

People who have invested a lot , fairly recently are subject to interest rates. So they are more or less forced to put their rent up. Real estate agents encourage others, who, depending on equity , may have not issues with interest payments to follow the former group. ( RE agents love their percentage , they should make flat rate compulsory, its the same amount of work managing a shit hole or a mansion ).

If there were interest rate caps, people would be less likely to over-extend to purchase a property or they may even be forced to sell ( far less sympathy for an investor being forced to sell than someone being forced to sell their family home ). They would know the exact rental income they could get , and avoid buying with too much loss.
As well as keeping rent at a set level, it would create less demand for housing, so it should make housing more affordable.
Investments are not risk free

You can't afford the repayments you sell the investment

rent caps would stop the speculative price gouging

it would mean people could afford to rent

there's pretty much nowhere affordable anymore and the only reason for that is greed

Investments are not risk free

You can't afford the repayments you sell the investment

rent caps would stop the speculative price gouging

it would mean people could afford to rent

there's pretty much nowhere affordable anymore and the only reason for that is greed

Ive talked about this ready in a different thread. Renters are already finding away around excessive rent increases - plenty of them are share housing and many more have moved back with their folks. Plenty more would rather sleep in their car or tent.

Over extended landlords will soon find their places empty and those bills piling up with no income coming in. Leave the rents as is and let the market sort out the over extended landlords.

Ive talked about this ready in a different thread. Renters are already finding away around excessive rent increases - plenty of them are share housing and many more have moved back with their folks. Plenty more would rather sleep in their car or tent.

Over extended landlords will soon find their places empty and those bills piling up with no income coming in. Leave the rents as is and let the market sort out the over extended landlords.
That's not finding ways around the issue

Leaving it as is would be doing nothing about the housing crisis

But it is good to see you continue to dig your own grave

Blaming migrants for everything is so ****ing boring.

homer simpson sleeping GIF

Perfect illustration of how the capitalists have done a number on the progressives - you have to admire it to be honest.

Big capital has always loved big immigration. Why? Because they can boost their profits without having to waste time innovating and becoming better at what they do.

10 or 15 years ago, many progressives wanted limited immigration due to concerns regarding the environment. How the tables have turned?

These days every progressive dare not criticise big immigration for fear of being labelled racist or a bigot. Big capital has played the progressives off a break.

Even in this thread, people actually believing that importing 1 million warm bodies in 2 years has no impact at all on rents or the housing market in general.

A lot easier to place restrictions on new supply that retrofit requirements on property already owned.

Rent caps will reduce rental supply. If this has a moderative effect on property prices (making it more affordable to purchase a home), it may be worth it, but there will be plenty of wreckage along the way with people resorting to the aforementioned "ways around excessive rent rises".

And there is little getting around the need for governments to spend massive amounts of capital expenditure (then recurrent on maintenance) to expand public housing stock, a move no party that has ever governed (that is provided the leader of the government) has any appetite for.

Perfect illustration of how the capitalists have done a number on the progressives - you have to admire it to be honest.

Big capital has always loved big immigration. Why? Because they can boost their profits without having to waste time innovating and becoming better at what they do.

10 or 15 years ago, many progressives wanted limited immigration due to concerns regarding the environment. How the tables have turned?

These days every progressive dare not criticise big immigration for fear of being labelled racist or a bigot. Big capital has played the progressives off a break.

Even in this thread, people actually believing that importing 1 million warm bodies in 2 years has no impact at all on rents or the housing market in general.
Considering some of the rhetoric coming from the right on immigration, does that mean both sides are just going around in circles trying to wedge each other now?

That's not finding ways around the issue

Leaving it as is would be doing nothing about the housing crisis

But it is good to see you continue to dig your own grave

I've said it plenty of times. We have built plenty of properties. Whether it housing or poor quality units that will soon be worthless. This issue is not supply, it is demand.

If we limited immigration to 90k in a year we'd fix the issue overnight. Period.

The overextended property market will correct in 2026 and the problem will soon be fixed.

Considering some of the rhetoric coming from the right on immigration, does that mean both sides are just going around in circles trying to wedge each other now?

Who knows. The only thing that will fix immigration will be a ball tearing recession. A good and proper land market lead downturn will see plenty break for the border to escape bad debts as the property market tumbles.

It is predictable. Like clockwork.

I've said it plenty of times. We have built plenty of properties. Whether it housing or poor quality units that will soon be worthless. This issue is not supply, it is demand.

If we limited immigration to 90k in a year we'd fix the issue overnight. Period.

The overextended property market will correct in 2026 and the problem will soon be fixed.
here's an idea

we both know that immigration is not the problem or the solution

we both know you bring it up for other reasons

you can stop bringing it up

or I can start dealing with what you're really trying to do and you won't like that so much

here's an idea

we both know that immigration is not the problem or the solution

we both know you bring it up for other reasons

you can stop bringing it up

or I can start dealing with what you're really trying to do and you won't like that so much

Don't put words in my mouth mate.

If you are implying that I am racist? Why don't you just come out and say it?

You going to pull those pistols or whistle dixy?

Don't put words in my mouth mate.

If you are implying that I am racist? Why don't you just come out and say it?

You going to pull those pistols or whistle dixy?
like I said

up to you what happens from here

like I said

up to you what happens from here

Fair enough. I can assure you I have only ever posted my genuine beliefs - i've done nothing wrong.

But I think i have made my point. You have made yours. I'm going to take a break from the thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Anthony Albanese - How long? -2-

Remove this Banner Ad

Back