Anthony Albanese - How long? -2-

Remove this Banner Ad

Yet kids can't get apprenticeships.

TAFE is the choke point at the moment. There needs to be multiple pathways into becoming a trades person rather than relying on Apprentice system. If you want to change careers and become a tradie, it is very difficult. Not many people can live off an apprentice wage if they have a family.

I know the issues well. I reached out to the WA gov to come up with a solution. They were not interested and I lost interest in helping.

TAFE is the choke point at the moment. There needs to be multiple pathways into becoming a trades person rather than relying on Apprentice system. If you want to change careers and become a tradie, it is very difficult. Not many people can live off an apprentice wage if they have a family.

I know the issues well. I reached out to the WA gov to come up with a solution. They were not interested and I lost interest in helping.
Francie Abbott got her design scholarship and the whole TAFE system got shafted.

As usual they're all busy tweeting this as them doing something

I was just about to complain about this.

I'll save my seemingly annual complaint for January when they will undoubtedly boast again about the Youth Allowance increase to pretend that they are doing something even though it is automatically aligned with CPI.

I was just about to complain about this.

I'll save my seemingly annual complaint for January when they will undoubtedly boast again about the Youth Allowance increase to pretend that they are doing something even though it is automatically aligned with CPI.
Yep every 6 months like clockwork they do a round of gaslighting to pretend indexation is a raise in payments

Been doing it the entire time they've been in government

Please, it is a simple question.

I'm not interested in banking regulations, or loan securitization, or whatever other instruments the banks create to extend credit to people. That is a side show - their time will come soon enough as every credit bubble eventually extends the same way.

But I ask the question again?

Does importing 1 million warm bodies in 2 years increase the demand on housing or not?

Yes or no?

Yes it does.

Now can you let me know what happens if we don't import those million people in other aspects of the country?

Back in the old days the state government used to train a lot of apprentices.

We don't have a housing supply issue we have an artificial demand issue created by the people that control the housing supply because it lets them make more money

Build more houses and those same people will buy them and keep the cycle going

Labor don't want to fix that though, they're part of that group profiting after all

This. Spot on.

You can work as an assistant or labourer for x number of years, then do a trade test.

Adult apprentice wages are also higher than regular apprentice.

Ive talked about this ready in a different thread. Renters are already finding away around excessive rent increases - plenty of them are share housing and many more have moved back with their folks. Plenty more would rather sleep in their car or tent.

Over extended landlords will soon find their places empty and those bills piling up with no income coming in. Leave the rents as is and let the market sort out the over extended landlords.

I really don't see a trend for this.
Moving in with your folks isn't really an option if you have a family.
The car or tent either.

We need to have more rentals than renters, so that those gouging are forced out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you can get a tradesman to offer you an apprenticeship, getting into TAFE is not an issue.
There are a lot of BS courses going through TAFE's these days.

The old method , where a kid would leave school early to become an apprentice wasn't so bad.
The low wages encouraged the toadies to take them on, and for the kids, at that age they were usually still living at home.
Its not like the kids aren't gaining anything from it. Probably better payback than a university degree in some cases.

I agree its harder for an adult to switch to a trade. Also hard to become a doctor if you've been a laborer for the last decade and have a family. Lots of other job switches are hard too.

If you can get a tradesman to offer you an apprenticeship, getting into TAFE is not an issue.
There are a lot of BS courses going through TAFE's these days.

The old method , where a kid would leave school early to become an apprentice wasn't so bad.
The low wages encouraged the toadies to take them on, and for the kids, at that age they were usually still living at home.
Its not like the kids aren't gaining anything from it. Probably better payback than a university degree in some cases.

I agree its harder for an adult to switch to a trade. Also hard to become a doctor if you've been a laborer for the last decade and have a family. Lots of other job switches are hard too.

Huh? You can't offer an apprenticeship if there are no places at TAFE.

Nothing wrong with the old method. It just needs to be augmented with other pathways. Don't compare becoming a doctor with becoming an Electrician or Plumber. Apples to oranges type comparison.

Huh? You can't offer an apprenticeship if there are no places at TAFE.

Nothing wrong with the old method. It just needs to be augmented with other pathways. Don't compare becoming a doctor with becoming an Electrician or Plumber. Apples to oranges type comparison.

Apples to oranges?
If you want to be a doctor, an engineer , a teacher.... you need to PAY to study before you can get anywhere.
Why should you get a full wage for someone to train you to be an electrician?

its always going to be a sacrifice. it sucks that the best time in your life to make the decision is when you're too young and stupid.

That is not correct for Electricians.

$638.20 per week is garbage.
Yeah it is but people at the start don't know how to do **** all... and can't work on their own unsupervised...

It's not rocket science being an electrician but it still takes years to learn...

Last edited:
This government has been such a let-down but let’s not lose perspective. I was just reading Mike Seccombe’s article in today’s Saturday Paper about the ongoing insurgence of RW religious nutters into the Liberal Party, and it brought back so many memories of their inordinate prominence over the decade of office by the turd Coalition.

FMD it was almost like an episode of PTSD.

So by all means keep the blowtorch on this mob but let’s give them credit for bringing back secular government.

Apples to oranges?
If you want to be a doctor, an engineer , a teacher.... you need to PAY to study before you can get anywhere.
Why should you get a full wage for someone to train you to be an electrician?

its always going to be a sacrifice. it sucks that the best time in your life to make the decision is when you're too young and stupid.

You have no idea what you are talking about.

Remove this Banner Ad

Anthony Albanese - How long? -2-

Remove this Banner Ad

Back