Anyone Else Want Malthouse to Coach Melbourne?

Remove this Banner Ad

hotpieinoven

Draftee
Aug 18, 2010
perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Liverpool, Lakers
There is no bigger fan of Malthouse than me, he is one of the reasons why i love the club so much. At the end of the season, with another premiership or not, i no doubt will have a bad feeling that he wasnt able to go out on his terms. Maguire has pushed him into a corner with his contract and he must feel that he has so much more to give in the game. There must be some part of him that wants to break the coaching record.

I cant stand to think his amazing coaching pedigree will go to waste in the collingwood back office, thats why i want him to go to Melbourne, and go for an unprecedented premiership with a third side. I could think of nothing better than Buckley and Collingwood going up against an up and coming Melbourne side with Malthouse at the helm. Anyone else like to see that?

No.
Mick & Bucks both signed 5 year deals 2 years ago.
The club has honoured it's side & paid him a fortune to boot.
Buck's has honoured his side & kept his mouth shut & learnt.
Mick should do the same & honour his contract & our club.
If he doesn't like it then he should not have signed a five year deal under those conditions to begin with. Besides, stuff Melbourne. I want to remember him as a magpie coach. Who here now thinks of Leigh Mathews as a magpie coach? Not me.

As long as Cameron Schwab is employed by the MFC & the disunity within their playing ranks remains, there is little chance he will entertain Melbourne. If they want to break the binding contract we have with Malthouse, we should ask them for something of note to break it.

I don't think Malthouse would want the job to be honest. If Malthouse doesn't have good people around him, he's not likely to bring much success to a club, not in the short term anyway. Melbourne is a club with a losing culture, and even he would probably take a few years to turn that around. I wonder if he feels it would be worth the hassle after spending over a decade building up Collingwood into a flag winner.

As long as Cameron Schwab is employed by the MFC & the disunity within their playing ranks remains, there is little chance he will entertain Melbourne. If they want to break the binding contract we have with Malthouse, we should ask them for something of note to break it.

Tom Scully?

his changing from senior coach to a "hands on" director of coaching.. too much wont change in the first year, just more responsiblity will be but on buckley. he'll still be there putting his master thoughts on things.

He has no real reason to complain, collingwood has shown enourmous faith in him and given him many years to get a premiership, if he walks away with 2 then takes a back seat for a 3rd? what a fantastic way to finish a career

I think we are took fixed on Malthouse being the best coach in the business, it wasn't that long ago that he was being talked about as one of the coaches that should be sacked because he hadn't deleivered a Premiership at Collingwood. The simple facts are that unless you have the best list or close to it, your not likely to be winning too many Premierships.

The Malthouse/Buckley deal was done because Eddie knew Malthouse's days were numbered if he couldn't deliver a Premiership soon, he also wanted to make sure Buckley wasn't at another club if Malthouse needed to be sacked. The deal is done and so far it's worked perfectly because together they have won 1 out of 1, there is a fair chance it could be 2 from 2 and just as much chance of the same result with Buckley as head coach with Malthouse helping in the background as director of coaching.

Buckley has had about the best apprenticeship anyone could have after his playing career, he's been under 4 great coaches in Cahill, Walls, Matthews and Malthouse. He will have an even more mature and physically developed list in 2012, so why are people worried that he's going to fail and the team goes backwards? I actually think he'll make the team even better with more direct football and imagine the opposition teams dealing with the football going into Collingwood's forward line even faster... I think Collingwood is in a great postion and see this team threaten our 4 in a row.

If Malthouse wants to leave and coach elsewhere after 2012, so be it, but past records show old coaches who step out of the game and then try and get back on the horse fail the majority of times. Allan Jeans, John Kennedy, Dennis Pagan, Ron Barassi to name a few... it's all about having a great list of players, if Malthouse went to another team, how long will it take him to get the best list of players in the comp? It took him 10 years at Collingwood, is any team prepared to give Mick 10 years after 2012? Not a smart team ;)

NO, and HELL NO.

Why would we give a struggling club like Melbourne a leg up and give them a coach, when it looks like they are on the verge of appointing a dud in Gary Lyon.

Mick won't coach there anyway, they are at least 3-4 years of being a contender, and even then they may not be able to afford Micks' salary demands.

The only way Mick walks out on the Collingwood "deal" is for a ready made premiership contender, and Carlton and Hawthorn are the only threats there as far as possible openings go.

It's difficult to say. No one will know untill you guys win ya 2nd premiership this season. Then and only then will we here what he is thinking. He is an amazing teacher...you see the raw talant running around at Richmond, Kangaroos, Melbourne etc just needing to be harnessed. Your draftees did not have any more talant than us struggling clubs but look what Malthouse has been able to do with them. I would love to see how far Malthouse could take our boys (Watts, Trengove, Gysberts, Mckenzie, Jones, Jurrah, Frawly, Grimes, Martin, Tapscott etc)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's difficult to say. No one will know untill you guys win ya 2nd premiership this season. Then and only then will we here what he is thinking. He is an amazing teacher...you see the raw talant running around at Richmond, Kangaroos, Melbourne etc just needing to be harnessed. Your draftees did not have any more talant than us struggling clubs but look what Malthouse has been able to do with them. I would love to see how far Malthouse could take our boys (Watts, Trengove, Gysberts, Mckenzie, Jones, Jurrah, Frawly, Grimes, Martin, Tapscott etc)

It runs deeper than that my friend.

Derek Hine, David Buttifant, Mark Neeld, Scotty Watters, (Alan Richardson, Gavin Brown, Brad Scott- while they were there) have all been pivotal to our success.

Our set-up/academy fr these youngsters is second to none. Oh and our draftees did and do have more talent than the rest of the struggling clubs- the proof is in the pudding.

Remember, has taken Malthouse 10 years to finally land the big one at Collingwood with resources at his disposal to die for. He is not the sole contributer to all of this. Derek Hine and David Buttifant are probably the two most important key figures in Collingwood's backroom staff.

They great thing is, we have re-signed all the important pieces to our backroom stable.

He can leave with back to back premierships, regarded as one of the best coaches of all time. Yes he will be at the height of his power, but what a way to go out! Look at Craig and Bailey, great blokes and great coaches who have been treated poorly and now have tarnished reputations..

Or he can go to a nothing club like Melbourne, have a dodgy admin behind him and waste 5 years of his life, risk his health, not spending time with his grand children, not travelling and end up with a stain on his record etc.

Easy choice...

Collingwood is not a charity. Not a chance in hell want Malthouse going anywhere. We are in the business of crushing our competitors. No mercy!!!

Nope. Not at all.

I'd like to see Mick retire and take up a full time job in the media after a successful stint as Director of Whatever with Bucks leading us to more success.

That's what I'd like.

He is not the sole contributer to all of this.

Yes he is!!!:thumbsu:
Yeah you are right.

Derek Hine has had nothing to do with our success.

Yeah you are right.

David Buttifant has had nothing to do with our success.

Yeah you are right.

Mark Neeld has had nothing to do with our success.

Yeah you are right.

The best facilities and pioneering trips to Arizona have nothing to do with our success.

etc etc

OH WAIT, YES THEY ****ING DO.:eek:;)

FACT; It took Malthouse 11 seasons to take Collingwood to a premiership, who's to say it won't take him that long at his next club?

Yeah you are right.

Derek Hine has had nothing to do with our success.

Yeah you are right.

David Buttifant has had nothing to do with our success.

Yeah you are right.

Mark Neeld has had nothing to do with our success.

Yeah you are right.

The best facilities and pioneering trips to Arizona have nothing to do with our success.

etc etc

OH WAIT, YES THEY ****ING DO.:eek:;)

FACT; It took Malthouse 11 seasons to take Collingwood to a premiership, who's to say it won't take him that long at his next club?

This is what I'm trying to say...the cattle, he never had the talant when he first took over at Collingwood. He certainly does at Melbourne. Just has to be harnessed now.

This is what I'm trying to say...the cattle, he never had the talant when he first took over at Collingwood. He certainly does at Melbourne. Just has to be harnessed now.

So your suggesting Melbourne pick ups have been better than Collingwood's :rolleyes: and it's just Malthouse that has turned them into good players.

Yes coaches can develop players, but I don't think Melbourne's drafting has been any better than Collingwood's.

Drafting is where it starts, Melbourne had Chris Dawes under their nose and let him go to Collingwood.

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone Else Want Malthouse to Coach Melbourne?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back