Anyone Else Want Malthouse to Coach Melbourne?

Remove this Banner Ad

It took him 11 years. ELEVEN years to win a flag with unlimited resources and complete control of the club, but somehow it's going to take far less (at 60 years old), to get a fractured rabble to win a flag?

Wha? We won a wooden spoon in 1999, Mick took over at the end of that year, it took him 3 years to take us within a few points of winning a flag. Luck is a big part of winning flags, luck with injuries, luck with meeting the right opponent (Wouldn't have won in 1990 if Hawthorn weren't knocked out), we didn't have any but it would be naive to think Mick isn't capable of taking a list into contention within a couple of years, he did it with Collingwood!

Luckily Melbourne doesn't have a Buckley, and soon to be missing Scully, going to be much tougher nigh impossible for whoever gets the job to catapault them into the top 4, and it won't be Malthouse.

Wha? We won a wooden spoon in 1999, Mick took over at the end of that year, it took him 3 years to take us within a few points of winning a flag. Luck is a big part of winning flags, luck with injuries, luck with meeting the right opponent (Wouldn't have won in 1990 if Hawthorn weren't knocked out), we didn't have any but it would be naive to think Mick isn't capable of taking a list into contention within a couple of years, he did it with Collingwood!

Luckily Melbourne doesn't have a Buckley, and soon to be missing Scully, going to be much tougher nigh impossible for whoever gets the job to catapault them into the top 4, and it won't be Malthouse.

The post you quoted talked about WINNING a flag. Not making one.

As you said, Melbourne right now don't have a Nathan Buckley, Scott Burns, Anthony Rocca, Chris Tarrant, Simon Prestigiacomo, James Clement, Alan Didak and Nick Davis in their side.

Also again, Mick had UNLIMITED resources even in his short time, and was given unquestioned control over the football department. I doubt he'd have either of those at Melbourne right now.

Zahki luck is a part of the game of course but near enough ISN'T good enough. It takes YEARS to build up the depth to overcome the injuries that cost us the flag you alluded to.

And I'm saying that with a little luck he could've been a premiership coach 3 years into the job. The coach can only get the side into a position to win a flag, he can't win it for them. Saying that it will take 11 years is disingenuous because he's gotten this club into a position to win the flag 3 times in his tenure meaning he's gotten the side he's coached into a GF 1 in every 3 years. Not a bad record, you think Melbourne will give a crap about it taking him 11 years to seal the deal if they make a grannie in 3 years? No wonder they want him so badly.

And I'm saying that with a little luck he could've been a premiership coach 3 years into the job. The coach can only get the side into a position to win a flag, he can't win it for them. Saying that it will take 11 years is disingenuous because he's gotten this club into a position to win the flag 3 times in his tenure meaning he's gotten the side he's coached into a GF 1 in every 3 years. Not a bad record, you think Melbourne will give a crap about it taking him 11 years to seal the deal if they make a grannie in 3 years? No wonder they want him so badly.
Lol Zahki talk about rose colored glasses mate. Collingwood were constantly in the finals in the 70's but couldn't take the flag - its all about personnel and we never had enough. Same with that flag tilt you are going on about - we were very decidedly the best of the the rest, never going to take the flag from the AFL darlings. It takes a helluva lot more than luck to win a flag

I NEVER said it will take 11 years at Melbourne.

As a matter of fact, he may not win one at ALL at Melbourne. It's silly to assume he even would.

As you said, Melbourne right now don't have a Nathan Buckley, Scott Burns, Anthony Rocca, Chris Tarrant, Simon Prestigiacomo, James Clement, Alan Didak and Nick Davis in their side.

Also again, Mick had UNLIMITED resources even in his short time, and was given unquestioned control over the football department. I doubt he'd have either of those at Melbourne right now.

Putting aside totally the fact that Malthouse won't be going to the Dees anyway, I think Melbourne would have all the clubs greats daughters lined up for any coach who could eek some success out of the current debacle.
Malthouse would have absolute carte blanc, in fact it would be the first requirement of walking into the joint.

God no, why would we want the mastermind behind our success going to a club who was the potential and cattle to potentially dominate in years to come?

From the HS this morning....

Malthouse's manager Peter Sidwell said his client was not interested.
"(The Bailey sacking) changes nothing. Michael Malthouse will not be coaching Melbourne next year," Sidwell said last night.
"We're going nowhere."

Pretty definitive and clear to me.

It's actually hilarious how badly all the media and opposition posters on here want Malthouse to leave. Mick comes out and says he won't be going anywhere, Bailey leaves and hello hello about 20 articles pop up speculating that Melbourne will go for Malthouse. They're willing it to happen with everything they have because they know that if Mick stays then it only makes us stronger.

Surely the fact that Melbourne's board have overreacted to a weekly event and dismissed a coach who had the team on a slow but steady progression in wins and position each year, would have any potential coach thinking, well what happens next year when I'm in charge?

Malthouse would be mad to go there, as would any seasoned professional coach.

Personally I think the right fit for Melbourne is Dean Laidley. Well mentored (Pagan/Malthouse), experience in working with a troubled board, great with young players, aggressive and tough with midfield direction, good analyst, and been out of the game enough in his current role to get refreshed.

As for people saying Eade should go to Melbourne, well he's got a GF team from Sydney which was on the back of Barassi's hard work, he got a team handed to him at the Dogs from the work of Rohde's "list management", his message is good short-term but long-term player management issues increase until he's told to go.

Laidley is the man - basically in a role swap with Bailey. Melbourne need to go hunting and get him.

He won't be coaching anyone. On TFS he wasn't clear whether he was going to be at Collingwood at the time of that interview, but one thing was certain was that he is not going to be coaching any club next year.

Also, he wrote that one of the reasons for this is because he loves our Collingwood boys and can not bear to compete against them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ha check the main board for threads on this subject. The overbearing arrogance of most of the Melbourne supporters is stunning - and they call us arrogant! The only one I feel sorry for in the whole sorry mess is Jim Stynes, must be breaking the poor bugger's heart.

No.
Mick & Bucks both signed 5 year deals 2 years ago.
The club has honoured it's side & paid him a fortune to boot.
Buck's has honoured his side & kept his mouth shut & learnt.
Mick should do the same & honour his contract & our club.
If he doesn't like it then he should not have signed a five year deal under those conditions to begin with. Besides, stuff Melbourne. I want to remember him as a magpie coach. Who here now thinks of Leigh Mathews as a magpie coach? Not me.

I could not have said it better....:thumbsu:
people forget that when this deal was signed he hadnt won a flag.
also as mentioned above he should not have signed if its not what he wanted. Everyone has kept their side of the bargain now its his turn.

I could not have said it better....:thumbsu:
people forget that when this deal was signed he hadnt won a flag.
also as mentioned above he should not have signed if its not what he wanted. Everyone has kept their side of the bargain now its his turn.

What gets me is that so many people seem to believe the media BS that it is not exactly what he wants.
This latest round speculation only a week after MM made it abundantly clear and in the face of the blunt statement made by his manager beggars belief. That people are falling for it a fourth time around both amuses me and saddens me. Some people are simply gullible by default.

What gets me is that so many people seem to believe the media BS that it is not exactly what he wants.
This latest round speculation only a week after MM made it abundantly clear and in the face of the blunt statement made by his manager beggars belief. That people are falling for it a fourth time around both amuses me and saddens me. Some people are simply gullible by default.

It amuses me that so many want to attack our club, presumably in the hope of de stabilising us. Unfortunately for them, posting a comment on this website (or the Hun) will not even register on the players radar, and the coaching staff will be focused on THIS YEAR. Mick may leave, but at the moment he and his subordinates will be concentrating on 2011.

Laidley is the man - basically in a role swap with Bailey. Melbourne need to go hunting and get him.

He would be a good coach for Melbourne, but I'm fairly confident that would almost guarantee that Malthouse ends up at Melbourne a year later, in a similar role to what Eddie is devising.

From a football perspective, I'm actually quite interested to see what he could accomplish with Melbourne's list. I can't imagine them winning the premiership anytime soon, but I'd like to see what he could do without the Collingwood list, or the resources.

There is no bigger fan of Malthouse than me, he is one of the reasons why i love the club so much. At the end of the season, with another premiership or not, i no doubt will have a bad feeling that he wasnt able to go out on his terms. Maguire has pushed him into a corner with his contract and he must feel that he has so much more to give in the game. There must be some part of him that wants to break the coaching record.

I cant stand to think his amazing coaching pedigree will go to waste in the collingwood back office, thats why i want him to go to Melbourne, and go for an unprecedented premiership with a third side. I could think of nothing better than Buckley and Collingwood going up against an up and coming Melbourne side with Malthouse at the helm. Anyone else like to see that?

I read a couple of posts after reading this but I couldnt contain my disgust. I know one thing for CERTAIN. The person who wrote this is NOT a Collingwood supporter. Personally, I'm a big fan of trolling. I like it when opposition supporters put it to me and try and turn the screws. If this poster supports another team, then he's gutless. If he says he supports us, then he's weak. You need to have a good look at yourself..

Melbourne are not fit financially.

They simply cannot afford Malthouse and what he comes with.

By securing malthouse the club will go broke.

I agree that Laidely would be the best fit them.

Yep, I too agree that Laidley would be a great fit for them.

The way he presents himself is fantastic as evident on AFL 360 last night. Whilst he didn't win the big one he was super competitive with North Melbourne, had them playing finals regularly and was even landing top 4 spots when everyone thought they weren't good enough to get there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone Else Want Malthouse to Coach Melbourne?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back