Training Apples' Training Threads 2018/19

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
But you're only trying to beat your own time in a time trial, it's not a race.
It doesn’t matter if it’s a time trial. If there’s someone on your tail then natural instinct for a competitive athlete is to push harder to maintain a lead.

Training Report: Monday December 3, 2018: Full List Time Trial
Cool & breezy 18

Perfect conditions for the time trial this morning, so no excuses.
Players began entering the arena at 9:40 ad once all in attendance, did a half lap run and then 20 mins or so of stretching at the MCG end.

Not Running Time Trial:

Sidebottom (due to house fire yesterday)
Langdon - was in attendance but stayed inside
Goldsack - did some drills & went inside
Adam Treloar - did some chatting on the sidelines and disappeared inside
Taylor Adams - did drills but not time trial
Wills - running with a trainer
Maynard - did some running with Macaffer
Crisp - not sighted
Greenwood - not sighted
Dunn - not sighted
Wells - not sighted
Broomhead - running recovery
Sharenberg - running recovery

Phillips used different tactics this year. Last year he sat in the pack and made a move later, but today he sprinted away from the start.
After 1 lap it was Phillips from Lynch and Quaynor and that's how it stayed for the next 3 laps.

Finishing order with times (last year's times in blue).
New players bolded red
Players bolded green have improved times

1. Tom Phillips 6:08 6:04
2. Max Lynch 6:30
3. Isaac Quaynor 6:31
4. Nathan Murphy 6:33 6:32
5. Flynn Appleby 6:37
6. Josh Daicos 6:41
7. Brody Mihocek 6:42
8. James Aish 6:43
6:28
8. Will H-E 6:44 6:40
9. Brayden Sier 6:45
10. Jaidyn Stephenson 6:46
6:44

11. Anton Tohill 6:47

12. Jeremy Howe 6:48
13. Darren Crocker
14. Unknown 6:48

15. Travis Varcoe 6:49 6:59
16. Unknown 6:50
17. Chris Mayne 6:50 6:51
18. Jack Madgen 6:52 6:36
19. Tyler Brown 6:56 7:16
20. Jordan De Goey 6:57
21. Marke Keane 6:58
22. Jordan Roughead 6:59
23. Dayne Beams 7:01

24. Scott Pendlebury 7:04
25. Callum Brown 7:06

26. Atu B. 7:11
27. Jamie Elliott 7:14
28. Mason Cox 7:16
7:05
29. Josh Thomas 7:20
30. Darcy Moore 7:30
31. Ben Reid 7:31
32. Brodie Grundy 7:47
7:12

Most players have slipped in their times and I'm not sure why. They had a later finish to the year, but have come back at about the same time. Tyler Brown has improved substantially whilst Varcoe and mayne have come back in good shape.
Sier did not do the time trial last year according to my notes, but even if he had, I doubt he would have achieved today's result.

A few photos to follow.

Grundy Finishing Last shows how much you can take from Time Trials

It doesn’t matter if it’s a time trial. If there’s someone on your tail then natural instinct for a competitive athlete is to push harder to maintain a lead.
Yes, but these guys run with stopwatches on so they can pace themselves, which is why its a little strange for the times to drop so much, coaches generally tell players to give it 100%... theres really no reason to take it easy

Just how tall is Murphy officially?

The Pies website has Murphy listed at 190cm. But there are a few photos going around where he looks taller than Mihocek who is listed at 192cm. Could be a trick of the photograph or he could have shot up in height.

The Pies website has Murphy listed at 190cm. But there are a few photos going around that make him seem taller than Mihocek who is listed at 192cm. Could be a trick of the photograph or he could have shot up in height.

I think no one has the latest Measurements

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Time trials or distance runs are interesting beasts.

Conditions, wind, the ground firmness or footing, all can play a role in times run.

Also it is evident that Phillips being so superior to the field, was able to pace himself nicely but not over push himself, say if Steele and Levi were running.
My guess is with those two absent it’s “allowed” Phillips to not require that extra push so he’s drops some seconds.

The playing group knowing Tom is so superior likely paced themselves against him, so there was some seconds to spare for all of them.

If you watch golden league (athletics) you see that sort of thing happening in races, just depends on the pace and tempo. Times vary even between the finest runners.

I’d have no concern if a player is within 10-15 seconds of their usual times.
Plus I believe it’s a fun run without the players told to bust themselves.

Oh and Grundy? He’s a game running beast, so that’s just him in time trials.

NB: won’t happen ofcourse but I’d love the AFL to have a fun run race between the best time trial guns in the league. Say the 2km with decent prize money.
Our reps would be Tom and Steele.

Time trials or distance runs are interesting beasts.

Conditions, wind, the ground firmness or footing, all can play a role in times run.

Also it is evident that Phillips being so superior to the field, was able to pace himself nicely but not over push himself, say if Steele and Levi were running.
My guess is with those two absent it’s “allowed” Phillips to not require that extra push so he’s drops some seconds.

The playing group knowing Tom is so superior likely paced themselves against him, so there was some seconds to spare for all of them.

If you watch golden league (athletics) you see that sort of thing happening in races, just depends on the pace and tempo. Times vary even between the finest runners.

I’d have no concern if a player is within 10-15 seconds of their usual times.
Plus I believe it’s a fun run without the players told to bust themselves.

Oh and Grundy? He’s a game running beast, so that’s just him in time trials.

NB: won’t happen ofcourse but I’d love the AFL to have a fun run race between the best time trial guns in the league. Say the 2km with decent prize money.
Our reps would be Tom and Steele.
Blicavs easily.

Blicavs easily.
I almost should have placed Mark Blicavs as the prohibitive favourite as to his running background.

What times is he doing these days he might be nicely under the 6mins.
I’m sure I read somewhere but ages ago 5.30-6mins can’t recall exactly.

Just an edit: he’d be doing it on his ear.

Grundy’s TT times have people concerned every year. You’d think that people would learn by now that a 2km TT means nothing in context to running out a game of football. Grundy has been living proof of that for the last two years.

This... Can't remember the last player to run 2km in a game without stopping. I'd be focusing more on their anaerobic threshold, repeat sprints at a high intensity etc. That top end speed and intensity at the contest is what our game was based on in 2018. They've got 3.5 months to get cherry ripe for round 1.

Also, it's not uncommon for the aerobic capacity to decrease a little as a player gets older.

Phillips for example is prob 5kgs or so heavier than when he first started. He's more than likely much quicker over shorter distances than when he first began. Due to a focus on Strength, speed and power in the gym. The training they do is designed to make them better footballers, not long distance runners.

People shouldn't read too much into time trials.

Also, it's not uncommon for the aerobic capacity to decrease a little as a player gets older.

Phillips for example is prob 5kgs or so heavier than when he first started. He's more than likely much quicker over shorter distances than when he first began. Due to a focus on Strength, speed and power in the gym. The training they do is designed to make them better footballers, not long distance runners.

People shouldn't read too much into time trials.
Aerobic capacity improves with age, up until a point but definitely for an AFL player

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back