Ashes 2021/22

Remove this Banner Ad

Is Green a walk up start? Form has not been flattering and his bowling last year looked hardly threatening.
Yes, he is.

His form has been good. Four 50s in his last 7 innings, with one of the 3 non-50s being 38 not out.

You'd like to see one or two of those turned in to centuries but there's nothing wrong with that formline.

His bowling has been ok without anything special. Lot's of 1/20-40 sort of range lately at an ok economy. Job done as an all-rounder imo.

I'm not sure Lyon has bowled much from around the wicket in the last 5 years. It was certainly a criticism back then but I reckon he bowled the vast majority of his deliveries over the wicket in the last series.

In the 4th innings at the GABBA for example he bowled his first 6 overs over the wicket and then he came around the wicket for 16 balls as Pujara was being allowed to pad the ball away outside off with his bat behind his pad before coming back over the wicket to end his spell.

He then comes back on in his 2nd spell and gets Gill in his first over from over the wicket. He then spends most of that spell over the wicket before Pant comes out where he doesn't really have a choice other than to go around the wicket to the left hander.

Lyon bowled a lot of quick low flat crap last series - I actually suspected some of his spells were mainly to boost the overs/session rate, nothing more..?

Labushange is miles off it IMO . Nothing about him looks like captain material at state or international level to me .
And we need him making runs , not thinking about other stuff .

Really strange call. He has been elite with the Bat ever since coming into the side (handy with the ball) and very good in the field. All his teammates seem to love him and he loves cricket and from all reports one of the best blokes getting round. He has captaincy written all over him.

As for scoring runs. Ponting, Clarke, Smith are all examples of players who have averaged significantly more as skipper.

Really strange call. He has been elite with the Bat ever since coming into the side (handy with the ball) and very good in the field. All his teammates seem to love him and he loves cricket and from all reports one of the best blokes getting round. He has captaincy written all over him.

As for scoring runs. Ponting, Clarke, Smith are all examples of players who have averaged significantly more as skipper.
It’s more the maturity, I rate him as an all round cricketer and like his quirkiness but I don’t think his quirkiness holds him in good stead to be captain

Being popular and a good bloke doesnt mean your a great captain or even a good one .

The guys played less than 20 tests , let him bat and we can look at him in 2-3 years if need be .
Im not saying one day he wont captain either.

Ponting was a good captain who really led from the front of a very good side , Smith well we all know how that ended and Clarke was probably the best pure captain but very divisive amongst the players .

We need more than a he seems a good bloke who handles a bat pretty well captain.

Being popular and a good bloke doesnt mean your a great captain or even a good one .

The guys played less than 20 tests , let him bat and we can look at him in 2-3 years if need be .

Ponting was a good captain who really led from the front of a very good side , Smith well we all know how that ended and Clarke was probably the best pure captain but very divisive amongst the players .

We need more than a he seems a good bloke who handles a bat pretty well captain.
Replace Khawaja as Queensland captain with Labuschange see how he goes as a captain

It’s more the maturity, I rate him as an all round cricketer and like his quirkiness but I don’t think his quirkiness holds him in good stead to be captain

This - at the moment Marnus is still essentially a kid, learning to play at the highest level with men.

Right now, if you sent him to the shops to buy bread and milk, he'd probably return with a big bag of lollies and some ice-creams and think it's a great joke..!

His time may come, but also remember not everyone aspires to be a leader/captain. I could name 4 or 5 previous vice-captains that never wanted to be anything more...

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

H

He is easily the best available option for captain

So the bloke who most people wanted to open who prefers to hide down the order couldn’t make runs on a pitch with any life in it.
Who wanted Marnus to open?
Hiding down the order playing 12 of his 19 Tests at #3?
Couldn't make runs yet ended up scoring a century on the same pitch that was so poor both captains agreed to call off the day's play?

I'm not even sure why I bothered replying.

Who wanted Marnus to open?
Hiding down the order playing 12 of his 19 Tests at #3?
Couldn't make runs yet ended up scoring a century on the same pitch that was so poor both captains agreed to call off the day's play?

I'm not even sure why I bothered replying.
Because you got the wrong player. He's referring to Khawaja

Khawaji and Head have done nothing in the current shield games.The chances of Maddinson playing in the test team surely are looking better,only needs runs in the trial matches perhaps.

One in Adelaide where Marnus ran off the ground on day 1 because it was too tough to bat on.

18 wickets for 400 runs on that pitch. Take out Marnus gritty ton and Streets knock and you are down to 18 wickets for 200 runs on a pitch that was clearly underprepared. Captains and match referees decided the pitch was dangerous not marnus

Remove this Banner Ad

Ashes 2021/22

Remove this Banner Ad

Back