Australia v India, 3rd Test at the MCG Dec 26-30

Remove this Banner Ad

Cool story. Gun bowlers don't rely on trash and one delivery to get their wickets. They think through things and set batsmen up. The over use of the word star, superstar, gun etc is mostly my bugbear about current modern journalism and idiots on forums. Everyone is a STAR! Could be the worst player ever but they're still a star in someone's eyes. I mean Mitch Marsh is still referred to as an Aussie cricket star...
My disagreement with a lot on here, hasn't yet earned the tag of World Class, and nothing this series will change that.
Needs to tour more away countries, and do really well in them. That's what WC players do.

My disagreement with a lot on here, hasn't yet earned the tag of World Class, and nothing this series will change that.
Needs to tour more away countries, and do really well in them. That's what WC players do.
Which he is yet to do. He's yet to even really dominate a team with quality bowling. Picking up the tail or getting wickets with trash doesn't make you quality. I mean look at Starc.. he's not a WC bowler in long form cricket... not on your nellie.

Don't rehash, decisions need to be made now for the future of Australian cricket. Put the young batting prodigies in now. Find our best leg spinner and play him as well. Finch, S Marsh first to go, enough's enough
Rehashing what? Wade has never been given a go in that role. He is currently the best and most in form batsman in F/C cricket.

Who are these young players we should be giving a go? What have they done to deserve it? Or are we just gifting young guys games because they are young?

Agree that Finch and Marsh should go. I believe both Marshes need to go. But who do we replace them with? I think Wade should be one. I’m also thinking Joe Burns could be another.

Cool story. Gun bowlers don't rely on trash and one delivery to get their wickets. They think through things and set batsmen up. The over use of the word star, superstar, gun etc is mostly my bugbear about current modern journalism and idiots on forums. Everyone is a STAR! Could be the worst player ever but they're still a star in someone's eyes. I mean Mitch Marsh is still referred to as an Aussie cricket star...
What a load of shit. Cummins has easily been Australia's best pace bowler of the last 18 months. While he doesn't anyways benefit like Starc does, he consistently takes wickets and bowls a shit load better.

What a load of shit. Cummins has easily been Australia's best pace bowler of the last 18 months. While he doesn't anyways benefit like Starc does, he consistently takes wickets and bowls a shit load better.
That's like saying Khawaja has been our best batsmen... it's not really saying much overall is it.

Wasn't there a couple of young blokes making centuries in shield cricket early season.
Renshaw must be a better option than Finch for one. I'm a Finch fan, Stoinas for Marsh, and I'm a marsh fan.
Batting is our problem. Rocket science, lucky we're dumb ****s and don't have to deal with the obvious.
Stoinas is terrible! If batting is our problem, Stoinas is not the answer.

So which bowlers are gun bowlers?

The old adage of bowling trash gets wickets working for Cummins. Still a bog ordinary bowler despite what the stat line says.

Johnson and Starc had very off innings in the past but a few out of the ordinary performances had people calling out for the red carpet (undeservedly too).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hate it because I know it’s only big bash, but has Wade’s form this summer (both big bash - tonight with 85 and previous shield matches) put him into consideration for the test side as a batsmen only?

On a side note, they really need to figure something out with the shield arrangements so we can get at least half a season in before the test season starts. Could they start the shield early (even if it’s during the back end of the AFL season) and play games at country grounds with a ‘back to grass roots’ sort of marketing spin on it? More people would probably turn up too!

Heck why not go into County cricket which starts in April and ends in September? If that is not an option there is no reason to not use secondary grounds in August or September. Its pretty much vacant until the usual cricket season starts.

I hate it because I know it’s only big bash, but has Wade’s form this summer (both big bash - tonight with 85 and previous shield matches) put him into consideration for the test side as a batsmen only?

On a side note, they really need to figure something out with the shield arrangements so we can get at least half a season in before the test season starts. Could they start the shield early (even if it’s during the back end of the AFL season) and play games at country grounds with a ‘back to grass roots’ sort of marketing spin on it? More people would probably turn up too!
Wade should be an absolute certainty to be recalled. Unfortunately our selectors are absolutely clueless and have probably drawn a line through him.

Whatever runs Head makes he gets out in the worst ways. Just another kid brought up in the T20 era.

Actually lets stick with him to keep him away from that form of the game.

They did get half a season in. 6 of the 10 rounds have already been played. The problem is, the players who would have benefited the most were playing stupid ODIs rather than 100s in the Sheffield Shield. Finch only played 1 game, Maxwell 2, Khawaja 1, Starc 1, Lyon 3, Hazlewood 1, Cummins 1, Carey 2, Head 3, Paine 3, Agar 1, etc. Not enough if we want to produce a half decent Test team.

Alan Knott, Wally Grout, Dhoni, Dujon, Wasim Bari would have all caught it. They were quicker with their hands than Paine and although the catch was very difficult, the best keepers would have snaffled it.
You've gone into the archives to grab a number of those names, so I'd argue my point stands. Paine is a good keeper, one of the best running around at the moment, but he's not a great one.
As the supposed best keeper in the country, it had to be taken. He did all the hard work and bounced off his gloves. I feel any of Wade, Nevill etc could've taken it. Such a crucial moment in this test.
Nope.

Was the perfect day of test cricket except for the shit show at the end.

Brilliant field placing for Pujara and Kohli from Paine, soft from Rahane and comedy cricket from RohitSharma as usual. Logic dictates it's already enough but you can never count out an Australian team and underestimate our ability to choke from winning positions in overseas tests.

Was a wonderful display of fast bowling from two of the nicest fast bowlers in world cricket. Love the attitude of both Bumrah and Cummins.

Read this on some cricket news site ... love this ..

When Rishabh Pant was on strike, Paine said to his teammate, Aaron Finch who was at short leg.

"Tell you what, big MS is back in the one-day squad, we might get him (Pant) down to the Hurricanes, this bloke. "We need a batter," Paine said to Finch.

"Not if he keeps blocking them," Finch replied.

"Fancy that, Panty? Surely, extend your little Aussie holiday," Paine asked Pant.

"Beautiful town Hobart, too. We'll get you a nice apartment on the waterfront. We'll have him over for dinner. Can you babysit? I'll take the wife to the movies one night, you'll look after the kids,"

That last sledge had dangerous potential to backfire, not one of Paine's wittiest works. He could have walked into that with someone else in place of Pant. Probably good for him that Pant is not very fluent in english.

Remove this Banner Ad

Australia v India, 3rd Test at the MCG Dec 26-30

Remove this Banner Ad

Back