Autopsy Autopsy thread Dogs v Hawks

Remove this Banner Ad

Great game to be at. Played average and still nearly got them.

Umps were poo all day, not just against us but overall IMHO.

Stringer was off today. Take the good with the bad.

Dal and CD were awesome.

You can't just take a pill and become experienced, it takes time to develop. Watching Mitchell and Burgoyne etc take control late in the game shows the value of poise under pressure. It will come. Also we need a couple more good kicks in the team.

Sad about Bob but one soldier out, one soldier in. Beat Carlton next week and continue on.

My expectations with our first four weeks were that 3-1 would be a good result.

Great effort to fight our way back after a poor start. Great 3rd quarter with the immense pressure and getting our run on.

We have to get better going inside 50. Fluffed 3-4 simple chances . the stringer errant pass to 2 blokes running into goal in the 3rd comes to mind :(

In my view, the game was lost in the first 10mns of the last quarter. Gave away 2 undisciplined goals where the defenders didn't punch the ball away when it was deep in hawks forward line resulting in 2 gimme goals.

The last 5 mns was role of the dice and anyone could have won . we just lucked out this time

And it was a crap way to end the game with Bob sadly

Disappointed not to get the result but still happy with how close we got to them today. Was an important high intensity game we needed for our team. The crowd today was electric and all our fans got into it. Level 1 Aisle 33 went off today.

Players I thought who did good

Libba
Dahl
Daniel
Hunter
Adams

Still frustrating for T Boyd missing a few set shots. He'll get them next time.

While I am disappointed we lost but after the Hawks kicked their 2nd goal early in the 2nd quarter I was expecting a blowout. So to be 19 points in front at 3/4 time was a good come back but unfortunately the Hawks experience shone out in the last quarter and then to lose Bob with less than a minute to go was shattering. Hopefully he can come back.

Also in the Top Dogs room was Tory Dickson who said he will be right for next week so do we bring him straight back into the seniors next week.

This is what I conclude:
Hawthorn will win their 4th flag in a row. We pretty much threw everything at them and they still won. The Hawks were able to identify their 2 biggest threats> Stringer and JJ and completely shut out their influence. Our kicking skills are still a long way behind the Hawks particularly when kicking long to a contest in the forward line. We more than matched them in all stats but still couldn't get the result. The Murphy injury adds salt into the wound and to think he will never get to 300 games is almost unbearable.

We did not throw everything at them. We beat them in all of the key stats but choked. We are a better side than them in every way apart from composure. The Hawks are very gettable and that game wasn't us throwing everything we had at them. Everything we have doesn't involve missing goals a monkey could kick and letting them get a 5 goal headstart.

Jong wasn't the worst one today imo.

How was the point when it hit the post when there were 2 ******* men in the square with no hawthorn players
If not him then who? Clearly in our bottom 2 players today, had absolutely no influence. Stringer at least got to dangerous positions/had horrible delivery to partly blame. Jong was pretty pathetic

Lenny Hayes did it at 31 after having done a knee previously. He speaks so positively about the club and group, there is at least a small part of me that thinks Bob won't let it beat him. He is a battler, and he'll try his darndest to make it back.
I hope you're right but Bob was already a 50/50 chance of playing on next year judging by interviews, this would take a monumental mental effort.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Premierships aren't awarded in April people! Today was exactly that ....today, lost by 3 points and scared the bejeesus out of them, big deal. We need to beat the Hawks in finals not in April.

We were pretty sloppy and missed out on chances, that was the difference between winning and losing. No curse, no voodoo!

Bob going down is a bitter pill, but Bob while a hopeless romantic is still a fierce pragmatist. If he has played his final game he will see that his body to allow his to play 295 games of AFL football has blessed him. As for the team, we saw today with Wood individuals mean a lot less than the team they make up. Our team will be fine, and good knee or bad, playing or not one thing for sure is that we won't be without him!

Go Dogs,

Just want to point out Boyd is a 20 year old and not sure your right in saying he gets a free ride.
Big year ahead for Roughy , he has no where reached the potential we all thought he had.

I'm well aware Tom is 20, at what age should I expect him not to have trampoline hands? Sicily is 21 and he marks ok. Tom's position in the side seems to be guaranteed regardless of his output, so to me that's a free ride.

None of the players would be slapping each other on the back so I'm not sure where that is coming from.
As supporters we are allowed to proud of our players in a loss. I thought that we gave 110% today, execution just wasn't quite as we would have liked.

Last edited:
But now we have to win it for Bob. So the players will wear Bob armbands every game, break from every huddle saying "for Bob" and then they'll make a movie about when we win the grand final.

Didn't work well for the last guy who said they'd make a movie about his club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Autopsy thread Dogs v Hawks

Remove this Banner Ad

Back