Autopsy Autopsy thread Dogs v Hawks

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm finding it really hard to focus on the game itself, to me the result is still irrelevant and doubt I'll ever watch the reply of that game solely due to bob.

That being said my thoughts on the game, up until 3 quarter time we dominated the clearances and especially the centre clearances. Hawks mixed it up in the last and started to get their clearances going, thought Bont looked flat and slow maybe the interrupted preseason showing, stringer well held and he lost his one on one opportunities which is normally his bread and butter.

We were absolutely crucified by the umpires in the first quarter both Bont and Boyd should have had set shots from marks that weren't paid, that's a huge difference in a 3 point game. But we did what very few teams have done we came back against the Hawks when well down and without our stars firing.

I don't really fear any team we play anymore we can beat anyone when we are on and we will only get better majority of our team haven't even played 100 games, Daniel McLean Bont hunter Adams hamling Biggs Jong toyd haven't even played 50 games and macrae jj stringer have only just played 50.

Agree, and it's been quite a while since I've felt that level of passion from the doggies faithful in a home and away match. We need to bring that every week.

There is no co-ordination of the chanting. Every off season have asked the club to do something about using individuals in bays but just ignored.

Daughter's partner from Mexico has only seen the 3 games and he is hooked, the atmosphere is an absolute attraction. Loved the guy with the mohawk who was leading the crowd in the level 2, northern pocket.

We need to make Etihad a fortress and that noise yesterday was awesome BUT we can do better.

Bob Murphy is a great leader, a great bloke and a great player, really gutted about his injury. But the thing about a genuine spiritual leader is that their spirit can be with a team even when they are not. And a loss such as this can inspire too. Win it for Bob this year Doggies.

And be gentle on Saturday. Boost your percentage by all means but think of the kids.

In a completely different note, Hunter is frustrating me this season. His disposal is so sketchy for a purely outside player. I find myself expecting a horrible kick whenever he has the ball. Given he's also one-paced, I have to wonder if we'd be better served by a Webb or Dale in that role and slotting Hunter into another role?
It hasn't been great. His handballs have been the worst of the two disposals, I think.
Macrae is the other one. His kicking so far this year has been largely terrible. It's like the ball is moving in slow motion through the air.

It hasn't been great. His handballs have been the worst of the two disposals, I think.
Macrae is the other one. His kicking so far this year has been largely terrible. It's like the ball is moving in slow motion through the air.

I cringe every time hunter has a set shot for a guy who is a half forward/wing he should be more accurate in front of goal

Our skills on the whole have been fairly poor for all games this season. It's not gonna fly in the finals. Hopefully it's not a representation of the players we have and it's just some early season rust.

But seriously we completely blew it in that final term. We allowed 7 goals after having only allowed them 7 goals in the first 3 quarters and allowing both freo and saints 5 goals each for the whole game. Unfortunately I saw their 4 goal start to the fourth coming 5 seconds into the 3 qtr time break. History has trained that.

Not good enough and I'm wondering when it will be that we put sides away when we dam well should.

Uh wtf? You do know they were booing the hawks to put him off on getting a goal? You have rocks in your head if you think it was towards Bob.

Also, one thing that I noticed: The timer kept going down on the game, however hawks got over 30 seconds to prepare for his run up? Annoyed me a little....
Well you are probably right, its hard to think clearly when so upset

Ended up getting hardly any sleep & I can't imagine what it would be like for Murphy right now

and at the time I never noticed about the timer, again I was too worried to notice

Game feels a bit irrelevant with Bob's injury :cry:. Did well considering 3 of our brightest young stars had very quiet games - Bont, Stringer and Libba. Dahl was outstanding.

Felt like Hawthorn brought their umpire with them in the first half, but evened up throughout the game. A bloody emotional roller coaster of a day...

Seems like Macrae takes forever to dispose of the ball. Can get away with it against the lower teams but got caught out a few times yesterday

Those who are criticising our skills, is is possible it's simply a result of our game style? Not a rhetorical question, but if you put such a premium on speed and carry, you're going to have more disposals overall, and then more opportunity to stuff those disposals up. I suppose what I'm getting at, is if you live by the sword you're going to die by the sword from time to time, but it's not necessarily symptomatic of a significant problem...

Agree re Macrae as well. He seems to be playing a hybrid inside/outside role though, so he gets more of a pass. Hunter is strictly outside, ball use is what he's there for and he's not delivering, by hand or foot.

I cringe every time hunter has a set shot for a guy who is a half forward/wing he should be more accurate in front of goal

Likewise. I was just hoping he didn't put that shot out on the full like the week before tbh

We've packed so much good ball use into our back half that I think it makes it even more jarring when guys like Hunter, Macrae and, yesterday Libba, butcher the ball heading inside 50.

Macrae kills us when he's caught on his right side, teams are starting to take notice and are forcing him to do it and it's resulting in him handballing back into traffic.

Agree re Macrae as well. He seems to be playing a hybrid inside/outside role though, so he gets more of a pass. Hunter is strictly outside, ball use is what he's there for and he's not delivering, by hand or foot.

Likewise. I was just hoping he didn't put that shot out on the full like the week before tbh

We've packed so much good ball use into our back half that I think it makes it even more jarring when guys like Hunter, Macrae and, yesterday Libba, butcher the ball heading inside 50.
Libba was really average yesterday. As well as Bont. I honestly think Bont isn't even close to 100% at the moment.
We have so much improvement in this team which is really pleasing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd love to find Cruelty's lair and slay that bitch on behalf of every single Bulldogs supporter.

As Bobby Davis would say, fair dinkum un****ingbelievable.

I can't bring myself to watch any replays. Have we worked out that final minute+ yet? Was it that a defender went wandering? Was it a directive to get an extra man at the contest? Was it a lack of leadership on and off the field to flood the negative area? Whatever it was, someone needs a good hard look at themself/themselves.

Whilst Macrae is still generally underrated outside the Dogs and has achieved a hell of a lot for somebody his age... I think he gets a bit of a pass when he often doesn't deserve it. He's not that quick and obviously his kicking is poor, so he really needs to be winning 30 touches a game to have an influence. He got 30 touches in round 1 and 2 and this round he only gets 22.

Actually, he's still only 21 so I'm being extremely harsh but I don't think he's a significantly better player than he was two years ago which is a bit of cause for concern.

I never watch a replay of a losing game. Missed the final last year and still havent watched it.

I thought our boys put alot of mental pressure on themselves yesterday and were a touch overawed at times. First quarter and a bit and the last quarter were panic stations. Stringer in punting terms was badly over racing and Libba looked was flat third up from a spell. Bont looks like he is being trained for the grand annual at Warrnambool.

Macrae kills us when he's caught on his right side, teams are starting to take notice and are forcing him to do it and it's resulting in him handballing back into traffic.

Hunter exactly the same. Several times he put his teammates in terrible positions with errant handballs rather than kick on his right.

I'm not advocating that he be dropped, just that another, two-sided, player with better disposal be given a go in his role.

Set shots, defence off the back of contests (both aerial and stoppages [the latter more relevant in the fourth quarter]) and overuse by hand/dinky handballs.

Fix just one of those things and we win that match.

This is absolutely true, but I think it goes both ways. Hawks fans will say they dominated in the last quarter when they sorted out their clearance and contested ball work, and could have won by more if they didn't let the third quarter get away from them.

That said, I think the underlying point is a good one - we're now at a stage where we can identify what went wrong and know we're in big games with fine margins. Experience will hopefully sort all that out.

Put it this way - any one of Hawthorn's key senior players don't stand up in the last quarter (particularly Burgoyne, Mitchell and Burchill) then we win the game imo. They've been there and done it for so long it was second nature. We're just not there yet.

This is absolutely true, but I think it goes both ways. Hawks fans will say they dominated in the last quarter when they sorted out their clearance and contested ball work, and could have won by more if they didn't let the third quarter get away from them.

That said, I think the underlying point is a good one - we're now at a stage where we can identify what went wrong and know we're in big games with fine margins. Experience will hopefully sort all that out.

Put it this way - any one of Hawthorn's key senior players don't stand up in the last quarter (particularly Burgoyne, Mitchell and Burchill) then we win the game imo. They've been there and done it for so long it was second nature. We're just not there yet.
Agree it works both ways. Similar to your second paragraph though my point was more that it's very positive that we can play the best team and identify one or two areas that would have won us the game. It wasn't a full strength Hawks outfit, of course, but it's still excellent that we can compete and even trouble them at times. Not there yet but we're getting there.

Agree it works both ways. Similar to your second paragraph though my point was more that it's very positive that we can play the best team and identify one or two areas that would have won us the game. It wasn't a full strength Hawks outfit, of course, but it's still excellent that we can compete and even trouble them at times. Not there yet but we're getting there.
I now have confidence we can be in with a shot at winning every single match against the toughest competition, because pretty much all the tools are there. It's really just execution that will decide which games we win or lose.

I want to know why Bob was left defending both Sicily and Breust? In the dying seconds of the game, why the hell didn't we have players back??
When we kicked our last point all the hawks pushed up waiting for the kick back into play (every player inside 60 meters) and as soon as the kicker who tried a torpe and failed began to kick the footy Sicily took off like a bat out of hell running forward. All our boys were focused on defending the high ball that fell short because the kick was a wobbler but we let it get out and the rest is history........ It was a role of the dice set play and as ugly as it was, it worked......

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Autopsy thread Dogs v Hawks

Remove this Banner Ad

Back