Review Autopsy vs Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
...however
Jones has played some shockers in his time but that was one of his worst, no denying it. He would struggle to get a spot on the list of pretty much every other team in the league (and I mean list, not just first 22).

No argument there. Jones played a shocker yesterday and doesn't deserve his spot on that performance

Am I the only one who was more impressed with Stringers work in the backline than anything he's done in the forward line this year?
Nope, and quite rightly. He easily had his best game for the year. He was involved in the play, rather than sitting in the forward line getting shithouse delivery.
But according to a lot of people he was shit because Pods started kicking some goals. What a coincidence it was during the time when our midfield wasn't pushing back to help in the backline, leaving a 20 year old kid playing his first ever game at AFL level as a KPD on a 32 year old man.

Good start to the game followed by a lot of flat patches, before a strong finish. End of the day game was probably lost through a couple of mistakes by players at crucial stages but you will get that with a young side.

Positives:
More games into the younger guys
Libba looked better
Our best is very good
Hung in there for two quarters when this just didn't work and kept the margin managable

Negatives
Selection of team
Medium defenders playing on KPF
Costly mistakes
Bontempelli late out

Football is a game of keepings off. It's what we do when we have the ball and when we haven't.

There appears to be a very strong correlation between when we look good and when we don't with whether we are winning the ball out of the middle and at stoppages. In Q 2 and 3 we appeared to lose control of the game because we couldn't get our hands on the footy and too much easy ball was got by Adelaide at centre bounces and stoppages. We have to, more quickly, address our set ups around the ball when things are going against us. It appears that we become not defensive enough ie lack of numbers, too many in and not enough guarding, or lack of awareness of opponents and their spreading capabilities - that allow oppositions to get out the back or the side and set up easy scoring opportunities.

If we are going to push up so many, we just have to win the contest, otherwise we get scored against rather too easily.

Dropped an absolute sitter deep in the Adelaide forward line. Didn't get his body behind the ball, should have been a regulation chest mark, ball went behind, Adelaide goal.
Second one he kicked it out of defence straight to an Adelaide player by themselves, who then kicked it back in to a free player for a goal.

Had a good look at that one last night on the replay and it almost looks like he was in two minds whether to commit or not as Murph was in the firing line and would have had his head cleaned up if Jones fully commited.
Can anyone else have a look at that and tell me i am reading to much into it.

I sit directly next to the aisle he comes down on to the ground. Macca gets abused week in week out, as did Eade.
By the same supporters clapping and cheering them when all is going well.
Muppets.

On another matter - attendance today (17400) on a perfect day for footy was pretty poor and undermines our lobbying for special occasion games to improve our exposure and marketability.
Another cheque paid to the Etihad landowners!
Sunday football. I have 4 memberships including social club. Have not been to a game due to junior football commitments. Senior football commitments have and will only cost me 1 game. Junior 7 home games. therefore with one home game interstate a total of 2 home games for me and the family.

I spent a bit of time watching Jong in the first quarter and I think he'll be a player. He had Danger well covered in that quarter, for speed and physicality. Towards the end of that quarter he made a mistake on him that led to a point (1:43 left in the qtr). You can't see it on camera but Danger had left the space down that wing to take the pass and Jong was aware of it and was within arms length or so of Danger. Jong turned his head away (responding to someone on his team infield) and at that moment Danger went to the space the guy kicked it and Danger took the mark. But Jong is smart enough to learn from that especially on review.
I'd put him back in the VFL to work on being proactive and learning the ropes at clearances and developing the attacking side of his game. But I think he'll develop into a very good player when he learns that. He's big and fast and looks like a thinker to me (Anyone he plays on in the lower league is going to be so far off what Danger is it'll be like night and day so he'll have a better opportunity to develop those areas of his game). With development and experience at both VFL and senior level he'll be a handful in a couple of years time and well worth the investment. A very effective run with player is where I think he'll end up.
Stringer I really liked behind the ball and I think will eventually end up in the middle. Wouldn't mind him having the odd stint in there this year.
It's often interesting when people are able to point out, in a civilised manner, a different view of the same player. Jong is one and Fletcher another. I look at Roberts and see primarily a defender who can play forward. Others see a forward who can play back.

4b2abd6af3643b6e2021926a6f93ff8b.jpg

Last edited:
Had a good look at that one last night on the replay and it almost looks like he was in two minds whether to commit or not as Murph was in the firing line and would have had his head cleaned up if Jones fully commited.

That's exactly what happened. He was committed to taking the mark, saw that he was about to cannon into two players, and for whatever reason shifted his body weight to avoid the collision. He then proceeded to miss both the players and the ball, it was one of the all time great howlers. In his defence, he showed a degree of dexterity that would've made an Olympic gymnast proud. The judges in the stands unfortunately gave him a score of 0.

If I played for the Dogs I would find it VERY hard to play for our supporters, quite a shocking bunch as a whole.

Give me a break.

Call me cynical and by no means am I advocating some of the moronic abuse hurled by supporters, but players are employees, simple as that.

They are paid very well to do a job on the ground, they don't play for supporters whether they are complimentary or abusive.

For God sake, every player on our list is an adult and it can be a big, bad world out there, so if some morons yelling over the fence is going to affect them, then we need to get some mentally tougher players.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Give me a break.

Call me cynical and by no means am I advocating some of the moronic abuse hurled by supporters, but players are employees, simple as that.

They are paid very well to do a job on the ground, they don't play for supporters whether they are complimentary or abusive.

For God sake, every player on our list is an adult and it can be a big, bad world out there, so if some morons yelling over the fence is going to affect them, then we need to get some mentally tougher players.

If they're merely employees you wouldn't mind them taking up better employment elsewhere?

You can't have it both ways.

If they're merely employees you wouldn't mind them taking up better employment elsewhere?

You can't have it both ways.

Also, if an employee gets verbally abused, he has a means to fightback. Unfortunately that's not possible as a bulldogs employee.

I agree Mike. Time to cut our losses with this inconsistent player and trade/draft a key forward

We dont have the luxury of dropping Jones right now. we're at a deficit for KPF's. Lets not cut off the nose to spite the face.

If you are right he should never play again because that is so soft and is against everything this club is about

We dont have the luxury of dropping Jones right now. we're at a deficit for KPF's. Lets not cut off the nose to spite the face.
We are short on KPF's no doubt but I wonder how Jones will mentally recover from this game in the 6 days he's got between yesterday and Essendon. If he was able to do so then good but I have my doubts.

I wouldn't drop Jones for yesterday, no doubting he was terrible but I'd keep him in because

a) He had been playing well up until yesterday

b) He's a confidence player and his head will drop even further if he kick him to Footscray just for yesterday. Would be much better to give him the message that we still have faith in him

c) As Mike says we basically just can't afford to do it at the moment

I wouldn't drop Jones for yesterday, no doubting he was terrible but I'd keep him in because

a) He had been playing well up until yesterday

b) He's a confidence player and his head will drop even further if he kick him to Footscray just for yesterday. Would be much better to give him the message that we still have faith in him

c) As Mike says we basically just can't afford to do it at the moment
I think we'll find out a bit about Jones this week either way.

Gia never to play a full game again, with all the Jones talk , his performance has gone through to the keeper.

I had the distinct impression watching the game that Gia was more intent on trying to draw a free, rather than play the ball on its merits.

I understand the reasoning for his being given a full game to keep his match fitness up. I just think that his lack of pace becomes a liability to a team that isn't exactly overflowing with the stuff the longer a game goes on. Playing the sub role and coming on when the heat has gone out of the game is his niche. If he needs a full game to maintain his fitness it needs to be at Footscray.

Just watched Macca's Message for this week.
Doesn't talk much about the failure in match-ups and selection but does make mention of the fact we nearly pinched it despite a half of insipid football and that likewise we were in it during the last quarter against Carlton despite not being there defensively for the entire game, really - worth noting he doesn't use the absence of Roughead and Morris as an excuse.
I think he summed up my thoughts on the stage of development quite succintly - we're just going into games with more confidence we can compete and win and we're able to hang in there for longer. There are obviously areas for growth and increased depth but the brand of football as a unit and consistency in playing to that brand is noticeably improving.

Give me a break.

Its the supporters that DON'T go to the games that annoy me.

We can't drop Jones at the moment, but if he continues to play like that, we can delist him at the end of the year. He's had enough chances for my liking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back