Autopsy Autopsy vs Carlton & the Umpires

Remove this Banner Ad

There was a lot of pulling off going off today and the majority of it involved 4 umpires and Charlie Curnow.
It is really annoying to be blaming umpires for influencing an outcome in a match, especially when the margin is more than a couple of kicks.

BUT...

The margin in yesterday's match was easily affected by bad umpiring decisions. The most obvious gifted Curnow most of his goals but also enabled a few others to Carlton and denied some opportunities for North.

IF...

That is the standard of umpiring that is acceptable to the AFL...

THEN...

An independent panel of stewards needs to be appointed to oversee every match and they must have real-time communication with on-field umps to intervene and overturn blatant "errors". It will interfere with the flow of the game but unless there is a better way of cleaning up the poor standard of umpiring then it has to happen to eliminate the farcical situation such as that which occurred on Friday. If AI umpires can be introduced instead then that is even better!

ELSE...

People have to vote with their feet.

Last edited:
Quite a few loud ones in bay 34 on level one as well. People who bring opposition fans into reserved bays should have their seats revoked
Club sold tickets to Carlton members in the North reserved seating areas.
The back 5 rows was all Blues.

Club has no shame

Nuffie comment. He's not been gifted games, he's clearly impressed the coaches throughout preseason and has earned his spot. His spot looks precarious now and I'd expect him to be dropped
It really is up to others in the squad to unseat him from the team. That will happen when form, fitness and match conditioning based on VFL and training results in the next wave of players earning promotion.

If Turner is pushed back to the VFL by another player who performs better in the role that the coaches want on the ground then the team improves. But switching him out for an unproven player is just gifting games to someone else which is no better than what's happening now.

We all want to see the team improve of course, so here's hoping that the team that runs out for the last six or eight games looks a fair bit different from the team that was named for yesterday.

Last edited:
I don’t think it’s a conspiracy. There were a few where the umpires apparently got sucked in by crowd noise - like the Ziebell 50 and the Stevo run call.
If that actually happens then OMG, the game is ruined. Imagine if umps in WA, SA, Qld, Geelong or NSW were influenced by the crowd!!!!!!

Imagine an ump like Ray Chamberlain hearing a crowd scream out and being influenced, striking a grandly exaggerated stance and hollering " Froi Kick... Carlton... .... Holding"?

Or Eleni, hearing the crowd noise and blowing the whistle for something she had no idea about but paying a free anyway.

Would it happen?

Sadly, damn right it would.

Carltank will have a block of 5 games from rd.8;
. Lions
. Dogs
. Pies
. Swans
. Dees

Won't come through there unscathed. Also games v * & Saints.

Happier times ahead.
It will be hard to be supportive of the dogs and * so maybe we have to barrack for draws in those games.

Yeah right, great call. Hopefully our blokes get same treatment and adjust. Blues certainly did huh.
They banged on about it time and again, but tbf to the Grasscutter, and as we all sadly saw, once they separated and worked together, they were a lot more effective. But they also have a chunk of time and size over our 2 boys.

Lol the stevo decision. Maaaaaate. JFC. They are *in cooked.
It reminds me of this footage I saw of the Vietnam war where some Vietnamese were surrendering but the captain was screaming to his soldiers “ bullshit cut them Down cut them down “ I could see Gill with the mic on telling the umpires to blow the whistle and pay too far .

In summary, let's keep perspective. This time last year we were being thrashed by 70+ points per game. So far this season we've won 2 games, one of which was at the opposing team's supposed fortress in Perth. Last week was always going to be a tough game playing a beleagerd Hawks desperate for a win at their Tasmanian home ground. In the end there was only three goals in it. Yesterday, we took on the "In-form team for 2023" in a re-surgent Carlton. We were effectively outkicked by two of their forwards who scored 10 goals between them. Beaten by the in-form side by less than four goals is not a thrashing. It shows that we are competative and are definitely streets ahead of where we were 12 months ago.

In summary, let's keep perspective. This time last year we were being thrashed by 70+ points per game. So far this season we've won 2 games, one of which was at the opposing team's supposed fortress in Perth. Last week was always going to be a tough game playing a beleagerd Hawks desperate for a win at their Tasmanian home ground. In the end there was only three goals in it. Yesterday, we took on the "In-form team for 2023" in a re-surgent Carlton. We were effectively outkicked by two of their forwards who scored 10 goals between them. Beaten by the in-form side by less than four goals is not a thrashing. It shows that we are competative and are definitely streets ahead of where we were 12 months ago.
12, 24, 36, 48 :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It really is up to others in the squad to unseat him from the team. That will happen when form, fitness and match conditioning based on VFL and training results in the next wave of players earning promotion.

If Turner is pushed back to the VFL by another player who performs better in the role that the coaches want on the ground then the team improves. But switching him out for an unproven player is just gifting games to someone else which is no better than what's happening now.

We all want to see the team improve of course, so here's hoping that the team that runs out for the last six or eight games looks a fair bit different from the team that was named for yesterday.
only realistic change for turner is mahony and its hardly like trading up. it points out that we still have a bit of trading to do to get the list up to scratch to compete at the top end of the table, simply dont have the cattle to mount a realistic campaign yet. .

Oh huge in leaps and bounds. We were robbed though. Won contested ball, clearances and shots on goal. Someone call 000 because that was robbery in broad daylight.

Oh huge in leaps and bounds. We were robbed though. Won contested ball, clearances and shots on goal. Someone call 000 because that was robbery in broad daylight.
4 or 5 times in the run they got in the 3rd they used a chain of talls on the opposite city wing to go coast to coast and we had little stocks to go with pittonet, curnot and mckay, they might have got rub of the green decisions inside 50 but were able to transition into the area way to easily where the decisions were costly.

Club has no shame
If one buys tickets on level 2, they can essentially get into any bay along the concourse. This could have been what happened here.

Also, some could have been guest passes as the Premiership Room had quite a few Carlton supporters in there.

Personally, if someone wants to bring their opposition supporter mate, I guess that's their call, unfortunately though there's been some poorly behaved opposition fans which has made it a little challenging for those with young kids.

Absolutely he was injured and impaired and so he should've been taken off. Him staying on impaired the side.

I love how the armchair experts know more than our medical and coaching staff.

Obviously he was hampered but he was assessed by medical experts and they deemed he was okay to continue playing.

Club has no shame

It sucks but it’s not the club who sells them it’s The AFL/Marvel.

Lochie O’Brien?
I thought Harry McKay was pretty tough when he forearmed Sheezle to the head when Sheez was blind sided. Was surprised not to see Harry do a double cobra although he was preoccupied with making sure the ump wasn't going to report him I suppose.

Carltank will have a block of 5 games from rd.8;
. Lions
. Dogs
. Pies
. Swans
. Dees

Won't come through there unscathed. Also games v * & Saints.

Happier times ahead.
May beat Footscray depending on what version turns up.

Will get smoked in the rest.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Club has no shame

I sit in 34. This has been a long time beef for me. It is a North Melbourne Members reserved area. Yet when playing anyone other than small interstaters, usually the back few rows are chockas with oppo fans and the standing area behind it are usually mouthy ones who surely must be there to rub it in once they've won the game.

After the 2019 Good Friday game I contacted the club to complain. Had spent the whole afternoon getting harassed by * fans. The response was tepid. Can't do anything about members who pass their ticket onto other people. Can't do anything about the stadium selling unsold seats to maximise the attendance. (not sure that it's the club that sells tickets). Can't start from scratch and reallocate seats in a smaller area if we can't sell what's allocated, as many members are happy with what they have, and the stadium tells us what we get without any negotiation.

All I could do was accept the stupid situation which saw us moved from the fourth row from the back to having me and one of my sons in Row H, and my youngest son a few rows back in Row K on his own.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Autopsy vs Carlton & the Umpires

Remove this Banner Ad

Back