Autopsy Autopsy vs Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Lost too much poise early in the third and made it hard for ourselves to recover. As much as the trajectory of the side becoming obviously positive is really great to see, we need to jag a proper statement win rather than just taking out the annual Eagles game and a hapless-when-away Suns side. Fanciful to think it could've been the second-placed team we did it against? Maybe a little, but the first half made it clear that we're absolutely capable of it - so it was disappointing to lose the first-touch cleanness from the first half, turn the ball over to them with bad disposal a little too often, and find ourselves retreating into a slower mode of play when doing so was clearly playing into their hands rather than giving us control of the play.

Still, much as it's on us for letting our advantage slip - yet again, turgidly one-sided umpiring undermines any sense of a fair result. To not pay the blatant HTB in our forward line but then call a crucial match-killing 50 against Tucker for not presuming that a similar free was being paid against us was just disgraceful - then a gifted clearance and gifted set shot to follow? Charlie Curnow has received more free kicks against us this year than Nick Larkey has against Carlton in his entire career - this despite the latter clearly taken high multiple times today and lucky to have the out-of-zone umpire blow a late whistle for one of them only. Win or lose, it would just be nice to feel like the result was entirely on its own merits.

On this sort of form, last five games are all potentially gettable. Must start to convert that potential into a few results now.

Got to Love Ray, doesn't pay the ridiculous attempt at Marking at one end they pays it a few minutes later at the other.
Will no one think of the game?!

I agree, if you choose to fly for the speccy, you don’t mark and in that process make contact with the opposition above the shoulders, it should be an auto free. Easiest decision to adjudicate because everyone notices a player a flying onto someone’s back.

With the bad umpiring in particular the last quarter when we looked like we would challenging, the were very good we would of gotten killed this time last year.

In a year or two we will be going into games expecting to win, just like in the 90s

If that’s the best from the second on the ladder, get along guys we are in for a ride.

We can whinge about the umpires (and we should given that blatant cheating in the last qtr) but we need to see the last 2 games combined which resulted in an aggregate 98 point deficit to us.

We remain a long way off getting near the better teams - in reality we are still along way off getting out of the bottom 4.

Plenty of green shoots - and we still need to Duursma, Hardeman and W Dawson - but when senior players are making basic errors (or just coasting like CZ or have regresses like Larkey) then there is also plenty to be concerned about.

Next week should be interesting - Geelong horrible atm - can we make any progress on them? Not sure.

I have been one of Stephens’ harshest critics. I think he had a very very good game. Maybe his beat for North?

If I remember correctly, he even did a strong tackle for a HTB at some point.

Still not convinced he’s gonna be a player for us, but credit where it’s due. Good performance

IMG_4809.JPG

Yes, the Curtis non-decision may have cost us but not as much as the fumbles, turnovers and general lack of composure which comes with youth and not knowing how to win.

Despite the loss, we’re not far away. Before the game on the score board, they showed age and game difference between us and them - 2 years younger and 22 games fewer. If this year is the turning point, next year is when we start making our run at the top of a long Flemington straight.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

the 50m to saad and free kick to harry was probably the most disgusting two minutes of umpiring i’ve ever seen.
Even the free against LDU was dubious. Firstly, he distinctly made a genuine attempt to handpass, which is all he's actually obliged to do. Secondly, it looked like his fist made contact with the ball. Barely, but that would still be a legitimate handpass. I couldn't fathom why 50 was paid unless it was for something that was said.

Whatever, it changed the complexion of the game and along with the free against Fisher, the free to Motlop it was enough to hand a win to Carlton.

Sure, North were shakey during several periods of the second half but take those gifts off Carlton and the result might have been different.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We dominated the first quarter but our ball use going inside was poor. McKercher's delivery to Curtis in the third is what we need to see more of - hopefully he's playing up the ground next year.

When Carltank lifted their pressure in the third, we couldn't deal with it. That's the next big step for us - dealing with sides when they lift their pressure above 215 or whatever.

Bitterly disappointing to lose and the umpires were atrocious. But we have improved a lot - next year we will maul sides.

We can whinge about the umpires (and we should given that blatant cheating in the last qtr) but we need to see the last 2 games combined which resulted in an aggregate 98 point deficit to us.

We remain a long way off getting near the better teams - in reality we are still along way off getting out of the bottom 4.

Plenty of green shoots - and we still need to Duursma, Hardeman and W Dawson - but when senior players are making basic errors (or just coasting like CZ or have regresses like Larkey) then there is also plenty to be concerned about.

Next week should be interesting - Geelong horrible atm - can we make any progress on them? Not sure.
Yeah I agree and I’m more interested to finding out why we’re so docile coming out of half time break

My young 8 year old daughter was sitting up on level 3, we went to get some dinner at qtr time and came back and her footy card folder was gone…,
It was a small green pocket sized album.. full of her prized North signed cards, and a very special card of herself. She was our little Auskicker of the year last year, Flora.
She is upset atm😢. if anyone sees it please PM me.

Last edited:
A young team sitting second bottom on the ladder is not meant to roll the second placed team - yet we were in it and pumping towards the end.

Pretty impressive after last week's spanking.

We've got a clutch of talented kids - and positives far outweigh the negatives.

Kicking efficiency was the difference in the end - missed too many targets going inside 50

I have been one of Stephens’ harshest critics. I think he had a very very good game. Maybe his beat for North?

If I remember correctly, he even did a strong tackle for a HTB at some point.

Still not convinced he’s gonna be a player for us, but credit where it’s due. Good performance
Every week he goes back with the flight. That’s a big plus. My biggest beef with him is that too many of his kicks get smothered and it messes with our momentum.

You know the umpiring is bad when that bozo Derwayne, who never says a negative thing about them, calls them out, but then decides it is a source of great merriment and laughter, campaigner.

A new one that pissed me off was paying a free, not for a tackle, but knocking the ball out of Fisher's hands, and of course a goal was scored from it.

Harry, just keeps getting better and better, Chom, can play forward, pressure was decent, but 56 tackles nowhere near enough.

We have to work hard on the last kick into F50, a bit of improvement, but overall, not up to standard yet.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Autopsy vs Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Back