Autopsy Autopsy vs Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

A lot to like about the game, but a lot to hate as well.

Umpiring was diabolical at times, but more frustrating was the basic errors we make. I said in the GD thread and I'll say it again, if we can clean up our disposal & stick our tackles, we will rise up the ladder. It won't matter that we're constantly getting reamed by the umpires.

Take away the goals given away when Logue missed Archer by 10 metres and when McKercher crawled into Curnow's arms, and give us the ones when Larkey was kicked in the head and when Curtis tackled Kennedy while we were seven points down, and the game could look very different. In a multitude of ways.

Even if McKay went off when he was supposed to. Immediately goes and kicks a goal and kills any momentum.

With regards to positives, we more than matched them in the first half. They came out after half time after getting an obvious bake from Voss and bashed us around contest and at stoppage. And yet we still should have had a free kick to reduce the margin to 1 with more than 9 minutes left in the last.

Firmly believe we're not that far off. Their prime movers were crap; Powell did a good job on Walsh, Cripps was less effective than usual, Acres, Newman and Saad all had down games and they couldn't move the footy at will. They won because they were more effective at stoppage as a team and their forwards played in front, taking advantage of crappy little kicks out of stoppage. Owies, Motlop and Fogarty are not world beaters but they played smart footy and when the dam wall broke, Curnow was too good for Logue after wearing him down.

Xerri should have done more on a lame TDK, but overall played really well. Comben did a great job forward. Curtis floated in and out.

Whether they took the piss for the first half and we turned up to play, or they're simply not that good, who knows. It's all progress in the grand scheme of things. Another game into Sheezel, Wardlaw, McKercher, Archer, Powell, Curtis, Ford, Comben, et al.

We can beat the Cats next week.
Believe Jason Sudeikis GIF by Apple TV

The most obvious of frees ever. Powell got pinged HTB early on and he has zero prior opportunity at all. BTW that Fisher HTB was brutal compared to this call.

Seriously, has umpiring ever been worse or more prone to big club favouritism?
I have never been more enraged by the maggots than this year
Consistently
Although the umpires are apparently aware & presumably trained in the 'crowd noise/frees for' bias they continue to succumb to a big roar in crucial periods of the game.

We butchered the first quarter. Should have been 3 or 4 goals up. Inside 50’s were pathetic.

We have to face it, we have to be a 5 goal better team as umpires are always going to **** us over.

We need to be cleaner and make better decisions. We gave away 2 cheap easy goals, one with a shit turnover from griff and mckercher tripping over his own feet.

Fords disaster, jy’s play on and kicked it to no one..

We did it to ourselves.
I don’t really care about the Kerch one. He was trying to make something happen. Slipped over.

No professional player should be missing 10 metre kicks without direct pressure under a roof. Terrible skill error.

Quick post-game thoughts;
  • Umpiring absolutely disgraceful. Literally ruining the sport. If Clarkson doesn't give them a spray in the press conference I will be legitimately annoyed.
  • Too fumbly and error-prone to make the most of our chances.
  • Backline did well but we badly missed that 'interceptor' role to cut off the easy ones moving forward
  • Simpkin had a stinker. Powell largely missing. RHJ not much of an impact.
  • Sheezel and Scott both played really well.
  • Wardlaw's intensity is fantastic.
  • Archer is coming along beautifully.
  • Larkey and Zurhaar both probably needed to contribute a bit more.
  • It's nice to be frustrated about failing to win against a top 2 team. We're building.
  • Bears repeating; the umpiring was absolutely fukced.
Clarkson can’t say anything he is on thin ice now with them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Umpires shumpires

Didn’t see them kicking to opponents in their forward pocket

Didn’t see them missing goals in front of goal

We just have to be better

One pleasing aspect was the was the first game with Logue back and Chom forward so that’s our project for the rest of the season

Get this spine sorted
Unfortunately, Logue kick-started their match winning run in the third quarter. We had started well and had the upper hand up to that moment. It was a real “blood in the water” moment. Overall, it was a great game. All this “the game is broken” stuff is bullsh1t. It’s in great shape. We didn’t get the rub of the green. Overall, though, if you miss a goal from inside the goal square, you’re not going to win.

I felt like we were the better team for a majority of the game. We had the momentum in the last before the umps decided to totally kill it.

Super proud of the players and hope they're not dejected.
We just don’t get bang for our buck - when we’re in control.
Bad skills and decision makers

That htb non call and Motlop jumping on someone’s shoulders n not getting near it. Amongst other decisions

There were 7+ absolutely horrible skill errors/decisions that cost us goals, almost directly.

Larkey on that first mark
Sheezel grubbing a kick forward when we had 3 on 1
Powell kicking it to the only blue when two were in space
LDU had a bad turnover in the middle
Logue's kick
McKercher's kick out slip
Ford missing at the end

I'm probably missing others, and ignoring some umpiring calls that cost us a few, as well. There were some typical mistakes that all teams make, but these were weird ones.

I thought that we played good football, outside of these plays, and the unusual number of bad mistakes cost us.

Unfortunately, Logue kick-started their match winning run in the third quarter. We had started well and had the upper hand up to that moment. It was a real “blood in the water” moment. Overall, it was a great game. All this “the game is broken” stuff is bullsh1t. It’s in great shape. We didn’t get the rub of the green. Overall, though, if you miss a goal from inside the goal square, you’re not going to win.
This changed the whole momentum of the game they kicked three very quick goals after it

Most here would know I was a fan of J Walker, a wearer of the number 19, who was an limited player ( some might say an extremely limited player) but he never delivered a catastrophic turn over than Mr Logue, who I thought ( I left at half time to deliver my son to the airport) had a sterling game to that stage but a certain error blew us out of the water and we never really recovered.

Please excuse me, but I am re reading my complete collection of Darls Chickens ( a referral to, well look it up) in whose writing the sentences went for longer than my admiration for the X, and remember the first English cricket team to visit our land was only thought of as a replacement for Darls Chickens.

We played with spirit, panache and enthusiasm, and I am buoyed today by a 2018 Wynns cabernet and the FACT that we took it up to the second on the ladder, something that would have been, with a sneer, dismissed as the incoherent rambling of a lunatic (or North supporter) or some one who had a bottle before the game.

There is light at the end of the tunnel and I have finished the bottle (I have had help in this endeavour) but my stock of dessert wines are all down stairs and unlike ALL our warriors today I am not up to the walk.

Forget complaining about the umps as we are on our way.

Go North

We just don’t get bang for our buck - when we’re in control.
Bad skills and decision makers

That htb non call and Motlop jumping on someone’s shoulders n not getting near it. Amongst other decisions
So many times we flew against one another and carlton got easy passage out the back. They also missed 3 shots they shoulda nailed. We really have to get our structures right but thats difficult with the team on flux. Sadly we are at least 18 months away from getting close to a settled team.

Still in disbelief with the McKay concussion situation. Of course AFL will sweep it under the carpet like they did with Todd Marshall

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Autopsy vs Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Back