Autopsy Autopsy vs Collingwood aka the Great Pain Robbery

Remove this Banner Ad

Just got home - what an afternoon of football! It hurts not to win - no mistake about that, but every young team goes through these losses. It sucks - but we are a far cry from that the uncompetitive basket case we were before the bye.

Couple thoughts:

• Wardlaw. My god we have something here. Yes, got tired in the second half, but it was an epic performance from him by all accounts. He’d be dirty on his last quarter - but it will fuel the next 3-5 years. His contested work is nuts and his spread from contest is improving. Future captain if sheez doesn’t pip him
  • Sheez. Not his best game but isn’t that a statement considering we are in year 2 and he kicks 2 and has 18 + 7tckl. We are starting to see his X factor inside 50 come to the fore. When we start getting 55+ inside 50s he’s going to be a joy to watch.
  • LDU. If you are in the camp that thinks we can afford to lose him then log off the platform and go for a walk. Monumental the last 5 weeks.
  • Teakle. Randomly showed a bit. Good for structure and held his own in the middle and up forward. Persist.
  • Paul Curtis. Best game for the club. A small/medium forward with genuine x-factor. Countless highlights for years to come but his pressure today was brilliant.
  • Comben. Stays down back for rest of his career. Genuine A grade defender if we continue.
  • Curtis Taylor. Have been his biggest critic but played like his career was on the line. Is a great gut runner and seems to have gained some confidence. I hope, for his and our sake, he continues on the path.

Overall, it’s easy to be disappointed and of course point to the umpires as a the killer. In the end we got run over by the flag winners who have done this for fun to many teams over the last 3 years. As a north fan, the first 12 weeks were horrible, no sign of any positives, 50+ point losses for fun. Today, we lose our inspirational skipper pre game and go as close as you can get to a top side.

Chins up - the core of this team will be fun to watch for years to come 😃

I found round 9 in 2015 to be infinitely more traumatic than today. At least we had the excuse of being the youngest team in the competition today. What sort of excuse did a team in the middle of a supposed premiership window have?
Omg i forgot about this game. I went and it was freezing at the top of the Olympic. The blue jackets actually walked us along a secret corridor behind the MCC because they decided to close the City end top Deck.

Yes another sickening comeback

IMG_7465.jpeg

TennisPlayerAndy nailed it - apart from the obvious umpiring interference, it was the seniors who shat the bed.

The consolation of "they're young" doesn't hold; most of the youngsters kept contributing.

McDonald is a great guy but when a game against a strong opponent heats up - his ability to cover a dangerous evaporates, only shaded by his complete inability to kick to our advantage when he gains possession.

Tucker is as honest as the day is long but his use by foot is deplorable. WHY IS HE DOING KICKOUTS?!

Fisher absolutely shat the bed when presented with his "moments".

I've defended him but Stephenson played one of the most useless quarters in recent history. Max Warren contributed more in his 1x 0 stat career game. **** him off.

Problem is we can't just swap these guys out for 25-30yo quality replacements. But these are the guys that lost us the game.

Because it's Collingwood and the AFL wants a Pies/Carlton final $$$$

North winning today wasn't on the AFLs script and they couldn't allow it.
Once upon a time I would have laughed hard in your face over that. However I fear there's a semblance of truth to that. It's turning into the WWF or even the running man.

But is it a Clanger when 4 umpires chose to ignore the blatant obvious?

It’s not like there is only one making the decision. Any of the other three could have stepped in and made the decision.

I think the term they meant to use is cheating or engineering a result.

It wouldn’t surprise me one bit if it was the same umpire that thought the Daicos getting the ball a millisecond later was a 50, was the one who didn’t think going over the mark wasn’t?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Once upon a time I would have laughed hard in your face over that. However I fear there's a semblance of truth to that. It's turning into the WWF.
Yeah especially since there is the whole thing about Collingwood the comeback kings let's just **** North over for ratings and a media story.

Not too often a team that wins the contested possessions, clearances and disposals only to lose the free kick count 24-14.

We were first to the ball all day but so many 50-50’s went their way. I reckon the non calls were even worse though.
Was at the game, just finished the replay.

After all the poor umpiring and our own roll over, we were still in it with 40 secs to go, when not one but two pies players overstep a clear, paid mark by 10m, 75m from goal.

Defies belief. There's simply no excuse not to pay 50 and no possible explanation the AFL can give to tick it off.

But we know they will.

TennisPlayerAndy nailed it - apart from the obvious umpiring interference, it was the seniors who shat the bed.

The consolation of "they're young" doesn't hold; most of the youngsters kept contributing.

McDonald is a great guy but when a game against a strong opponent heats up - his ability to cover a dangerous evaporates, only shaded by his complete inability to kick to our advantage when he gains possession.

Tucker is as honest as the day is long but his use by foot is deplorable. WHY IS HE DOING KICKOUTS?!

Fisher absolutely shat the bed when presented with his "moments".

I've defended him but Stephenson played one of the most useless quarters in recent history. Max Warren contributed more in his 1x 0 stat career game. **** him off.

Problem is we can't just swap these guys out for 25-30yo quality replacements. But these are the guys that lost us the game.
No doubt. There were plenty of moments to seal it. Just unfortunate that we were robbed by 4 missed free kicks for a shot on goal in the last 2 minutes.

Its a loss needed. But its gutting

Yeah this one made my blood boil after seeing the replay and the commentators didnt say a word.
How’s the comments by Ralph. It’s a hard game to umpire, but then went on to reel off 3 game defining errors that were all to the advantage of Collingwood.

I would love to know the explanation that after half time every infringement committed by Collingwood was flat out ignored and let go.

Anyone that thinks it’s all bad luck can ring me up, I have a flying pig for sale.

Just another 4 points banked by the AFL to keep the coffers flowing. It should be illegal to bet on this sport with all the match fixing conducted by the AFL itself.

LDU was absolutely livid with the back line, almost to the point of emotional after that Fisher kick in that took Collingwood in front
He basically wound up and gave him
A massive right hook, verbally.

Unloaded on the insipid campaigner.

The notion that, somehow, Corr, Lmac, Fisher and Tucker were responsible for us losing today is so wrongheaded that I cannot believe I have to write it here. I am 10,000% certain that Clarko doesn’t believe that. For the last few weeks (and today) Corr has been playing like a schoolmaster in our defence. He’s been massive. LMac and Fisher were very good today. Tucker is underwhelming, I agree. I cursed Fisher at the time he messed up the kick-in. Pure and simple, our team couldn’t keep it going for long enough and suffered from blatant non-decisions by the umpires. The turning point was the 50 metre penalty against Powell late in the third. We had them on toast in that play and should have scored instead of conceding. That gave Collingwood the sniff they needed. They’ve come from 5 goals behind at 3 quarter time before. That was the moment I knew we’d lose. I can’t say a bad word against any of our players today - except, maybe, Stevo who was totally ineffective when he came on. He gave us nothing. He’s not the type of player you want to be bringing on when you’re trying to shore things up, unfortunately. The best news is, we’re back as a competitive unit.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back