Autopsy Autopsy v hawks

Remove this Banner Ad

Clarko doesn’t care about winning, so the players probably love it. It’s a great excuse to half arse it when your coach doesn’t care if you win or not.
Cmon thats not what he's saying, he's saying the process is more important and results will take care of themselves. Part of learning any process requires 100% effort and apart from a few squibs, low confidence, kids finding their feet and needing more strength most players are trying.

One thing that stood out to me was how stationary our players are. So many times, we get the ball on our half back flank and we're forced to go back over our mark only to look up ahead to see 15 blokes just standing on the spot. No one leading. No one trying to create space for someone to lead in to. This is why we are constantly bombing the ball up the line to a contest. There's no other option. You just don't see this consistently from any other team in the comp. At least in the first few weeks when we were doing the Northball thing, we had players constantly looking to be hit up on a lead. It's honestly like we've given up.
So true. It’s like they don’t want the ball! Or don’t want the responsibility! Their confidence is obviously shot.

One thing im wondering about it is, are our players unsure on how to handle the strict rulings on protecting the other players head. You cant really blame players who might be a fraction late to take shorter steps to tackle, but we seem to slow up more allowing time for the oppo under pressure to dispose of the ball. Thats drawn 2 players to him and opened space.
Again im fine with shorter steps given the way the game ruled, we dont need players rubbed out for 6 weeks, but they simply have to impact the contest.

Cmon thats not what he's saying, he's saying the process is more important and results will take care of themselves. Part of learning any process requires 100% effort and apart from a few squibs, low confidence, kids finding their feet and needing more strength most players are trying.
Well the process needs to shift. The process needs to become about winning and the consequences of losing.

At the moment many of theses guys know they can phone it in, because there is no real consequence to losing.

Same deadshits are still getting games no matter how many times they stink it up.

I'm just suggesting one or both of them might need a circuit breaker at some point to release the pressure valve.
Colby looked to be feeling his sore ribs on the wing after a contest so perhaps he needs a rest.

And no doubt the senior players need to be better. I'd drop Stephens and move Fisher to the wing and bring in a defender.
Tucker stay in imo, he gave a stuff yesterday when some others dropped their heads.
I take your point. However, I’d prefer Colby and Zane to be given license to play with more freedom. That 60 metre run by Colby was electric. At no other stage in the game did he approach half pace. I don’t think that’s by accident. It kinda looks like our young guys are playing on the bit. Last year, Wardlaw came in and went for it straight away. The same with Sheezel. Zane seems to be taking a back seat as well. These guys should be let loose. Last season, after the Melbourne game, Clarko declared it was time to pass the baton to our young guys. Things got better from there. Strangely, he’s reverted to the more mature guys for the first six rounds. Clearly, it hasn’t worked. Tell them all to look to Xerri for their guiding star.

Well the process needs to shift. The process needs to become about winning and the consequences of losing.

At the moment many of theses guys know they can phone it in, because there is no real consequence to losing.

Same deadshits are still getting games no matter how many times they stink it up.
From my point of view longer term failure to adhere to the process means your career is over at North.

I unfortunately subjected myself to the replay.

We don't switch the ball and seem to have zero transition plan. We go long down the line yet have no one who can take a contested mark. Compare to Hawthorn where using the switch was a clear instructions.

Our two most used midfielders this year are liabilities without the ball. Their lack of accountability is almost single handedly responsible for how weak we are at defending transition. There is always overlap run.

Newcombe and Nash humiliated Powell when competing for the ball. One centre clearance in the second quarter, TP's opponent got 5m on him. There was only ever 5m to gain, too.

We may as well play Xerri as a midfielder lmao. He's better in the clinches but his tap work is no good.

Shocking. Our strongest part of the list is now a weakness.

Last edited:
One thing im wondering about it is, are our players unsure on how to handle the strict rulings on protecting the other players head. You cant really blame players who might be a fraction late to take shorter steps to tackle, but we seem to slow up more allowing time for the oppo under pressure to dispose of the ball. Thats drawn 2 players to him and opened space.
Again im fine with shorter steps given the way the game ruled, we dont need players rubbed out for 6 weeks, but they simply have to impact the contest.

Could just stop at the bolded part

I unfortunately subjected myself to the replay.

We don't switch the ball and seem to have zero transition plan. We go long down the line yet have no one who can take a contested mark. Compare to Hawthorn where using the switch was a clear instructions.

Our two most used midfielders this year are liabilities without the ball. Their lack of accountability is almost single handedly responsible for how weak we are at defending transition. There is always overlap run.

Newcombe and Nash humiliated Powell when competing for the ball.

We may as well play Xerri as a midfielder lmao. He's better in the clinches but his tap work is no good.

Shocking. Our strongest part of the list is now a weakness.

We tried switching the play a number of times but the Hawks very quickly had our 2 or 3 options up the field covered. Could the guys further up the field have led harder? Probably.

The argument against focusing on the consequences of winning or losing is the Blues. Last year were so fixated on "we have to win this game" that it started to paralyse the group when it didn't happen. Once they shifted to not thinking about the result and focused on the process of bringing effort and pressure, executing their roles and structures/gameplan, the wins started to flow and now they are confident and trust each other.

Damien Hardwick used to talk about getting the process right and whatever happens after that you accept, win or lose.
Sports psych Emma Murray talks about it all the time, how Tigers stopped dreading the result and focused on the process of what they needed to do and not fixating on the result itself.

The argument against focusing on the consequences of winning or losing is the Blues. Last year were so fixated on "we have to win this game" that it started to paralyse the group when it didn't happen. Once they shifted to not thinking about the result and focused on the process of bringing effort and pressure, executing their roles and structures/gameplan, the wins started to flow and now they are confident and trust each other.

Damien Hardwick used to talk about getting the process right and whatever happens after that you accept, win or lose.
Sports psych Emma Murray talks about it all the time, how Tigers stopped dreading the result and focused on the process of what they needed to do and not fixating on the result itself.
Which is why I suggest we apply the mentors ‘we have to…at least.. tackle?’

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well these blokes have it down to a fine art. They don’t dread losing at all and it shows with the lack of effort and brain dead mistakes that constantly happen.

I would shudder if they think they are following the process, because if they are it looks like something Mr Squiggle has drawn up.

Take your entertainment where you can find it. You've gotta admit that goal umpire calling for a review for nearly every goal in the Hawks nine goal run was pretty funny.
It was embarrassingly comical, I agree... it also added several minutes onto one of the quarters, which prolonged the misery unfortunately. ⚰️

Take your entertainment where you can find it. You've gotta admit that goal umpire calling for a review for nearly every goal in the Hawks nine goal run was pretty funny.
And then he went down the other end after half time and did the same thing straight away... :laughv1:

That goal ump was pretty rattled. It was surprising that he called for so many reviews though as a couple of them were dead-set obvious even from row H. He copped a bit of verbal from the North cheer squad too (mainly from one bloke with an especially loud voice) which seemed to get to him a bit as he became rigidly focused on the game (and Gunston looked up into the crowd a few times when the jibes were being flung).

Went out with my North cap on today and couldn't give a stuff what other people think. Ill never hide who i am and some ribbing is always friendly banter.

I’d rather dress as Klaus Nomi and go to the Deep South of the US thsn do that. You’re brave.

1. MSD pick
2. Pick 67
3. Cat B
4. Pick 74
5. Pick 33 + pick shuffles

Those were the players who tore us a new one yesterday.

Recruitment? Development? Chicken? Egg?

Development.

We used to be a club that could bring in a no-one (at the time) like Peter Bell, and he becomes the best rover in the game and leaves to be a captain.

In our current culture, prime Carey would become a soft hack.

Development?
It’s this.

We’re at zero.

Gavin Brown was here for too long.

Who knows if Barlow is really any good.

We’ll see in a few years time.

We are floating in an ocean of nothingness.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back