Strategy Back of House Discussion: Targets, Changes, Appointments & Facilities

Remove this Banner Ad

Makes me wonder why they bothered putting it on Seek, if it’s so attractive to people in the industry and they’ve already got a shortlist of candidates.
It's probably an AFL or West Coast policy that certain positions must be advertised externally.

Dump an ad on Seek, ignore the responses, and continue headhunting.

Do we have no one on the team that can step up. Surely we have internal candidates like Toddy Nisbett.

I really don't want a new guy that can start from scratch. We already are on ROB path and we should stick to it.

Do we have no one on the team that can step up. Surely we have internal candidates like Toddy Nisbett.

I really don't want a new guy that can start from scratch. We already are on ROB path and we should stick to it.
Not exactly starting from scratch when the new guy will already have 24 players contracted for 2025 and beyond when he starts work.

Am I correct that Adrian Caruso is the “ me me me me “ knob jockey that thought Phoenix Gothard was to be GWS panacea to all their forward line woes and was the one who stalled a potential trade of picks that might have landed Daniel Curtin.

I might be in the minority here , but I thought he came across as a real plonker when he spoke about why he vetoed the trade.

He doesn’t inspire me for such an important and pivotal role with the Club.

The job sounds like a match made in heaven for AsterixTheGaul I think he would love the list managers role.
lol I just read the article, and thought of the reactions here after that video came out.

You just know it'll be Caruso you guys hire.

Pyke wants the new list manager in place by the end of February

Also points to the club being more aggressive in trade/FA to build the list rather than exclusively using the draft

Interesting read

West Coast chief executive Don Pyke wants the club’s new list manager in place by the end of February and has flagged a shift from the club’s long-standing “draft first” policy.
Pyke wants to make sure the club uses the three list building platforms - the draft, trading and free agency - to accelerate its major list rebuild as the Eagles try to climb off the bottom off the ladder and arrest a slump that saw them miss finals for the third successive year in 2023 and claim the second wooden spoon in club history.

Previous list manager Rohan O’Brien had worked to free-up the Eagles’ thinking on list building, bringing in low cost players like Jayden Hunt, Matt Flynn and Tyler Brockman over the past two seasons.

Hunt was an unrestricted free agent who joined from Melbourne. Flynn was also a free agent from GWS. Brockman cost the Eagles two down the order draft picks, 44 and 63, from Hawthorn when he was traded in last year.

Pyke, who played for the Eagles and has been at the club both as a board member and a senior coach before his appointment as Trevor Nisbett’s successor, has great respect for the club’s traditional method of list building.

But he also acknowledged that the AFL landscape had shifted and the increasing willingness of players to shift in pursuit of their footy dream, or just a better contract, meant list builds should now be viewed through a “different lens”.

“Our club has a great history of bringing in players through the draft and that talent turning into successful teams,” he said. “The three key platforms for building your list are the draft, trading and free agency.

“What is going to be the best use of that talent (now) to give us the best outcome in that space?”

Pyke pointed to Collingwood’s acquisition of Tom Mitchell, Daniel McStay and Bobby Hill ahead of their 2023 premiership as ways clubs could harness player movement mechanisms to add value to their list.

Mitchell, a Brownlow Medallist who had fallen out of favour with Sam Mitchell’s coaching regime, joined the Pies in a three-way deal that saw Collingwood also lose Ollie Henry to Geelong but gain draft pick 25 and hand the Hawks two down-the-order picks.

McStay was signed on a five-year free agency deal from Brisbane and played 14 games before injury ended his season. Hill, who kicked 33 goals and won the Norm Smith Medal as best on ground in the grand final, was effectively taken from GWS for a future second round with the Giants and Magpies also exchanging draft picks in the 40s.

Asked how much input he would expect to have in list management decisions Pyke said: “I will be supporting who is doing it rather than doing it. I come from more of a coaching space.”

Pyke’s attitude to the list build represents more of a subtle shift than an overhaul of the club’s list build strategy.

The Eagles last two premiership teams have included players traded in from other clubs. Daniel Chick (Hawthorn), Tyson Stenglein (Adelaide) and Steven Armstrong (Melbourne) all played in the 2006 success.

In 2018 - excluding the big ticket trade that saw Josh Kennedy join in exchange for the loss of Chris Judd - ruckman Nathan Vardy, Jamie Cripps (St Kilda), Lewis Jetta (Sydney) and Brisbane pair Jack Redden and Elliot Yeo all played important roles, as did the re-cycled Mark Hutchings (from West Perth after being cut by St Kilda).

Yeo and Redden finished first and second in the Eagles best and fairest that year and tied for player of the finals honours. Cripps finished fourth in the best and fairest.

But the Eagles have historically taken the view that you draft to build the core of talent, then top up with specifically targeted trades to meet needs.

Nine of Collingwood’s grand final 23 in 2023 came from other clubs: defender Jeremy Howe (Melbourne), midfielder Oleg Markov (Richmond and Gold Coast), Jack Crisp (Brisbane), Mitchell (Sydney, Hawthorn), Hill (GWS), sub Pat Lipinski (Western Bulldogs), forward Will Hoskin-Elliott (GWS), ruckman Darcy Cameron (Sydney) and McStay’s grand final replacement Billy Frampton (Port Adelaide and Adelaide).

Pyke’s views will add fuel to the strong speculation that the Eagles will go hard after Western Bulldogs ruckman Tim English, who will come out of contract at the end of this year as a restricted free agent.

With cross-town rival Fremantle already loaded with ruck stocks, the Eagles will not have to worry about local competition bidding for English if they can convince him to come home.

It remains to be seen if they will also be a bidder for Sydney’s Logan McDonald, a top four draft pick in 2020 who also comes out of contract at the end of the season and whom Pyke is familiar with from his time at the Swans.

They would face competition from Fremantle and others for McDonald with the Dockers stocking up on three first round draft picks for this year’s national draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hope we don’t go all crazy Vossy. Still believe the draft is the best way to build, but that trading more players out and letting more players go by FA to improve our draft hands is something we should get better at.

Also trading more with the GWS and GC feeder clubs because you get better value there

Harry Taylor has joined us according to Pavlich. Off field role and no more details but that has to be a good get.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Well that’s good news

He’s an outstanding person so he’ll be an asset in whatever role he’s given

He spent a year at Geelong in their high performance/S&C department. Was also their premiership year (2022)

Also was involved in the East Fremantle academy program in 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Back