Roast Bad v Geelong, R18

Remove this Banner Ad

Good

Hartigan put in a lot of effort. Looked like one of our only players who wanted to beat his opponent and win a one on one contest.

Cameron did some good things and generally got involved a lot more than he has recently. Holy shit his kicking at times though. The goal kicking problem is definitely in his head too. Most of his shots weren't even close.

Lynch and Jenkins weren't particularly good but at least they made the most of their opportunities.

Bad

Team wide cowardice. There was barely an instance throughout the game where a crow player took the responsibility to do something risky and make a play. The only example I can think of is Smith kicking out through the corridor, backing himself to hit Brouch between two cats. Instantly the whole field opens up and we get a coast to coast goal. The rest of the game was utter shit with everyone backpedalling and going for the obvious handpass, eventually leading to a hack kick turnover.

Its especially frustrating when you compare it to Geelong where so many players were willing to back themselves in and make their opponent miss a tackle. Its amazing how much the field can open up when you feign a kick and then step around the person coming at you. Our players can obviously do this too but they all went into their shell tonight.

Ugly

Richard Douglas under no pressure soccering the ball off the ground to a Geelong player rather than bothering to pick it up. Just pathetic from someone of his experience and indicative of all the problems I mentioned in the bad category.

Eddie Betts failing to pick up the ball running into an open goal and then doing some lairising over the shoulder crap.

McGovern's whole game. He looks more cooked than Milera.

Sorry to shoot Bambi for two weeks running but Thompson is really struggling. Fumbling everything coming his way and looks gassed as soon as the ball starts to leave the stoppage. His statistical output is also so far down compared to what it was at the start of the season (and the rest of his career). You would struggle to find another pure inside mid AFL player who finds less of the ball than Thommo right now.

Potential silver lining:

We got a taste of what teams are going to do to us in finals tonight. Best thing is it is round 17 and not in the business end. We adjusted well last time, and i have faith in Pyke getting us to adjust again.

Yep.

For me, the good:
  • We got to see that in the minor round and not the first week of the finals.
  • That should put the lid back on for a while.

WTF! That was discraceful, what's with the dinky 10 metre kicks, laughable. Charlie cameron, you have come a long way but you have a long way to go. Learn to kick my friend!
Thommo, cooked. Out with you, 301 games! Good career, retire please gracefully.
McGovern, if we had other options you would be out.
Eddie, lazy big head!
Tex, could you play any worse. Worse game of your career!
Jacobs and lyons looked slow.
Atkins, you bloody little star, tried to do it on your own with the biggest bunch of passengers around! Need more like you.
Defence was really poor tonight, worse game of the year. We cannot possibly replicate that performance ever again as it was frankly embarrassing tonight. Actually felt sorry for you out there. Onwards and upwards, our deficiencies got exposed tonight and i am glad they did. Lack of leg speed, poor disposal under pressure. You have done it again crows, get you excited with possibility to again let yourselves and the supporters down. No flag this year, may win a final bit will be out in second week i predict.

Last edited:

I was bamboozled by how we constantly kicked to Geelong's 3 spare players, yet we never had a spare player at any stage
This, above all else, frustrated the living daylights out of me all night. I was growling like a rabid dog and shaking my fists at the telly.

Good
Hopefully this loss will close the door on some of the more idiotic notions that have floated out of the club

1) Henderson over Seedsman. But Hendo had a good game against Collingwood... who cares. Seedsman is better so he gets picked ahead of him.
2) Sauce is a workhorse, he needs to keep playing every game. He was garbage against a C Grade ruckman tonight. Jacobs' best month of footy followed the bye. Rest him.
3) Thompson doesn't need a rest. See Bartel tonight. Week off even though he's just had a bye. Played like a new man. Revitalised.

Shit game, shit conditions, shit ground, players played shit. Hopefully a bit of a reality check heading towards the finals.
The Guvnor is shot and needs to go back into the seconds for a spell. Menzel out hurts our depth and ability to cover for Guv if we do drop him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Definition of insanity is doing the same thing and expecting a different result. Staggering how many clearance bombs we attempted to 4 unmarked Geelong defenders. Ball movement completely fell apart, didn't seem to be any system at all in place.

Oh well. Still in a strong position to finish top 4 which gives you a strong chance at a flag. Every team this season has had a complete stinker so I'm not all doom and gloom. Swans v Richmond. Hawks v GWS, Dogs v Cats, Cats v Pies/Blues, GWS v Dees, WCE v anyone in top 8, North v Port.

We have issues but we've clearly demonstrated we're good enough to contend.

Time to get back on the horse and demolish Essendon and Brisbane.

I don't think our midfield have been guns all year, we've basically not beaten any top tier midfields. The very best we've ever been able to do is break even.
Crows are equal first for winning centre clearances. First for general clearances. Third for stoppages (by one stoppage). I think our midfield has been massive all year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Roast Bad v Geelong, R18

Remove this Banner Ad

Back