Roast Bad v Geelong, R18

Remove this Banner Ad

We also need to consider what Thompson is currently bringing on gameday, which is little, and consider resting McGovern as well as managing Betts, Sloane and Jacobs.

Our weakness is clearly our midfield. I expect we will struggle at the pointy end because of it but hey, I didn't think we'd be near Top 4 so I hope the surprise me.

:thumbsu: :thumbsu: :thumbsu:

I always laugh when people say "a loss we had to have". It's almost as though, if you'd strolled into town and rolled us it'd be some how a bad thing.

Also, unfortunately for any of the interstate teams, if we finish second and they finish third, you may well be playing us at Kardinia Park.

Not that I'll be getting ahead of myself - Swans rolled us at home a few weeks back and Freo came over for an unlikely finals victory in 2013.
Would be a strange move by the afl given the site works that or going on. What is current capacity of kardinia?

Unfortunately have to agree with this. A couple of clutch shots - one shank and the other just didn't allow for the wind. Even fat boy Hawkins put it up in the breeze and let the wind do the work.
Hawkins suddenly dobbing them from outside 50 for the first time this season wasn't a good sign for us, just wasn't our night at all.

What was glaringly obvious was how much bigger and stronger Geelong's players are. They have almost no one smaller than 188/90, which translates to dominance in the air. They also bullied us at ground level with only Cheney and Matt Crouch being able to hold their ground in contests.

We match up very poorly on them with absolutely no match up for Menzel, Guthrie or Motlop, while Enright, Bews and Taylor blanket our forwards.

We are not capable of beating Geelong. Anywhere.
Just one of those teams who matchup well against us and always have, very very frustrating!

Would be a strange move by the afl given the site works that or going on. What is current capacity of kardinia?
You're most probably correct. The club will no doubt push, but perhaps ultimately it will come down to the reduced capacity. Adelaide supporters came in droves last night, I'd imagine there'd be almost enough to fill KP alone for a qualifying final.

Perth teams are perhaps a little different in that regard, with no where near as many supporters willing to travel that far for a first final.

The official crowd last night was over 21,000. I cannot remember the exact figure, but there was no doubt at least 1000 seats vacant - no doubt due in part to the weather. I'd guess it'd be roughly 23k with the stand MIA, with capacity to be around 30K when completed in May 2017.

About 21k, there is no way a final is getting scheduled there, as much as Geelong will think they deserve it.
I think any side that finishes in a spot where they are hosting in the first three weeks of finals should play at home. Just like we shouldn't have a bye after R23 - with Fremantle finishing so far ahead as minor premiers they deserve the right to rest players in R23 if they wish. Up to others teams to perform better to stop them doing it, not for the afl to manipulate the draw to respond.

Just thinking about the ground dimensions you have posted - that tells me that we were completely out coached. Pyke didn't make any adjustment for this. We went every man in at the contest, Geelong held numbers out, pressured us into bombing blind and then hurt us on the turnover because they had space to work with given the bulk of our guys had been sucked into the contest.

We needed to keep our width and we didn't. Reckon this game was lost before it started by not having a game plan that suited the ground.
Is there a reason why we seem to play most seasons there and Port go there about once every 5 years? **** I hate the fixture.

I think any side that finishes in a spot where they are hosting in the first three weeks of finals should play at home. Just like we shouldn't have a bye after R23 - with Fremantle finishing so far ahead as minor premiers they deserve the right to rest players in R23 if they wish. Up to others teams to perform better to stop them doing it, not for the afl to manipulate the draw to respond.
Nah, technically the MCG is Geelong's home ground as well, so the higher capacity stadium will always win out. If their renovations were complete it might have been interesting to see what the AFL would do, but with a current capacity of 21k and the number of our supporters who travel and live in Melbourne, it ain't getting played in Geelong.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good
We scored two goals direct from kick ins!

Given our previous efforts, getting two goals is almost the biggest miracle in the history of football.

In fact I've checked the stats and it's the first time we've score two goals from kick ins since Round 17 1978 vs South Melbourne at the Lake Oval.
Amazing that when the game was gone Smithy went for a bomb straight down the guts from the kick in, and we went forward in a flash for a goal to Dougie. Need to do that earlier!

It seems obvious that Geelong have our measure. Even more so with a narrow ground. They're structuring absolutely killed us last night. We were okay up until half time but after that, were shut down probably more than we have been all year.
It never looked like it was going to be a good night for us. Just the little things went against us and usually clean players were missing kicks and handballs.

It worries me that a team can shut us down like that and there seemed to be no alternative. I would be more comfortable playing at the G against them, where their tactics wouldn't work as well, but there's the likelihood of either playing them there again or at home.

Basic skill errors killed us all night. It's something that has been there for the majority of our matches this year, even when we've still won. I hope this gets tidied up.

Thought M crouch was our best. Can't really single him out for poor disposal, as everyone was in the same boat. He was always involved and was effective around the stoppages. His brother was quiet but had some good moments.

Sloane battled but was reasonably quiet.

Thommo is slowing down in all areas, not just by foot. Gets caught a lot. The end is near.

Cameron tried but just got monstered as there was a lack of space.

McGovern unsighted. Would persist through the lower teams but is close to being dropped imo. Could gain some confidence. Last night wasn't a good night for a crows forward though.

Lyons had an average game. Was involved in a couple of good plays but messed up a few kicks and was very fumbly.

Atkins was quiet for the first quarter. Got better and was very handy with his skills. Had one bad turnover but far from our worst overall.

Betts and walker not in great form. Walker looks slower than normal at the moment.

Lever was pretty good. Brown good.

Laird well held.

Smith ineffective.

Cheney solid as usual.

Overall not many players turned up. Pyke also outcoached. He had no answers.

On a side note, I f$$king hate how Geelong and Hawthorn get away with constantly throwing the ball. Even when they actually do get pinged for the blatantly obvious, they act so surprised. Needs to be looked at.
Smith ineffective? He was easily our best player in the first half (had 3 more touches than any other player in our team at one stage), but died out in the 2nd half like most of the team.

One thing I always look at come half time is the midfielders disposal count from each team. When we are losing that by around 3 to 5 touches per player we (every time I bother to check it out) we never go onto win. I never thought anything of it at first as it seems too simplistic, but it seems to always work out that way. I might start recording it to check it out.

The only scenario where we might get a home final at Kardinia Park is if we play GWS and there are other finals at the MCG and Ethiad.
We won't get one there if we play anyone else.
That Fremantle final was a perfect storm of circumstances that is unlikely to be repeated.

We basically lost that game in 1 qtr, the third besides that the game was even, well on the scoreboard anyway.

Their midfield and defence smashed us.

What I can't understand or accept is how panicked we were that our method moving the ball forward was to bomb long to Geelong defenders. We might only be Big Footy posters but I bet if you asked 95% of us before the game what would we have told the players not to do, we would have said not to kick it long to their bloody defenders!!!!!

Sydney showed us what to do and we ignored it.

I wonder how many people are so happy that our key forwards pay no attention to opposition defenders.

This is why it doesn't matter if you get a cheap 1 or 2 if you allow them their structures and space

Remove this Banner Ad

Roast Bad v Geelong, R18

Remove this Banner Ad

Back