Trade Requested Bailey Smith [reportedly headed to Geelong]

Remove this Banner Ad

Oh i figured you guys would have taken the banter as banter when i said JUH was being thrown in as steaknives...

In that case, you can have the Lachie Neale stopper in Mark "The Shark šŸ¦ˆ" O'Connor for Jack Macrae straight up!
Oā€™Connor is also a free agent this year

Try again

Oā€™Connor is also a free agent this year

Try again

Geez tough crowd with the banter....ok I've got it, we'll give you:

• 1 x free pass on the V-Line, but it's a one way ticket and you have to get your own ride to the train station
  • 1 x Gazza Jnr's signed boots....but it's only the left boot
  • 1 x Joel Selwood bloody head bandage

Straight up for Norf's 1st Round Pick!

Totally fair offer!

Look if it's a 1m a year contract then I think cats fans will be uncomfortable with what we give up. I don't think any recognisable players would be involved
1m a year i'm majorly questioning.

We don't even give our multiple time AA players that level of money and now an OOC, out of form, seriously injured Smith is getting that?

I call shenanigans!

At least make the banter funny or somewhat realistic

Bevo for Danielle Laidley as part of the trade?ā€¦.

sweating key and peele GIF

Nah we gave Jez that, and danger. The cap has gone up since. It's not totally out of line but a huge risk coming off an acl.
Are we gonna act like Smith is in the same League as prime Danger and Jez?
And i'm a fan of Smithy...we don't even give Stew or Blics that. And we didn't give that to Joel either.

Are we gonna act like Smith is in the same League as prime Danger and Jez?
And i'm a fan of Smithy...we don't even give Stew or Blics that. And we didn't give that to Joel either.
I'm not saying he is, just that we've thrown similar amounts of money at players we want. He has flaws, like his kicking, but I think we'd deploy him in a way that hides said flaws by balancing it against the players we have.

It's probably over paying, but there is literally no other player on the market that would be available, is good, and is a need. The list of free agent mids this year is dire except for McCluggage who isn't moving.

I would be a bit cautious about our future first but depends on a lot of factors.

I'm not saying he is, just that we've thrown similar amounts of money at players we want. He has flaws, like his kicking, but I think we'd deploy him in a way that hides said flaws by balancing it against the players we have.

It's probably over paying, but there is literally no other player on the market that would be available, is good, and is a need. The list of free agent mids this year is dire except for McCluggage who isn't moving.

I would be a bit cautious about our future first but depends on a lot of factors.
And i'd be happy to pay a first round pick (not a future first) as that's his value.
I think we could get heaps out of him playing him more as an inside mid than sticking him on a wing/Forward flank like the Doggies have done, i'm just wary of giving big money to a guy coming off a major injury.

He's definitely number 1 on the available free agent/out of contract market.
McSuitcase is staying from what i saw the other day.
He's working on his new deal right now.

Cats and Hawks both offering Smith 1m+ a year (Geelong offering slightly more) to sign.

Zero chance Dogs keep him.

I dont care about the $ as we will have stacks of cap space in the next 2-3 years (we will have to frontload just to hit 95 %) and the cap is going up.

But i dont want to overpay in picks. Id be very uncomfortable offering more than 1 r1 pick especially given the injury.

If the Dogs had hindsight they probably could have got pick 3 from Hawks last year. Sanders AND Watson....

See what happens. But that's a big offer considering...

Mitchell wanted watson from a long way out they were never trading pick 3. 2024 r1 and an excess mid or two would have been the offer maybe.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I dont care about the $ as we will have stacks of cap space in the next 2-3 years (we will have to frontload just to hit 95 %) and the cap is going up.

But i dont want to overpay in picks. Id be very uncomfortable offering more than 1 r1 pick especially given the injury.
Would be good if we can identify a future 2nd round value player to trade in then start negotiating

Mitchell wanted watson from a long way out they were never trading pick 3. 2024 r1 and an excess mid or two would have been the offer maybe.
Correct. Weā€™d only have released 3 for a pick slide to 5 with another future pick going to the Dogs.
Dogs wouldnā€™t have wanted to do that as much as Hawks wouldnā€™t want to hand over Pick 3.

As it stood, Baz didnā€™t declare any intention to leave anyway.

Yes I was also surprised reading that Geelong have offered 1.2 million itā€™s not how they operate
Given the 50% increase in cap from 2022 to 2025, that 800k Geelong cap per player might rise a bit.

Maybe not 1.2m, but surely a bit.

Look if it's a 1m a year contract then I think cats fans will be uncomfortable with what we give up. I don't think any recognisable players would be involved
I'm uncomfortable with it being 1m+ regardless of who we give up.

There are players you pay that money to, and Bailey isn't one of them. I know we've got acres of cap space, but it feels very un-Geelong.

I get that the guy brings a poster boy element and that sort of thing, but he brings some troubles too.

I'd say there would be reservations supporter wise at all of Geelong, Hawthorn, Collingwood & the Dogs regardless of where he ends up at that figure. It's a lot of money for a player like him.

I'm uncomfortable with it being 1m+ regardless of who we give up.

There are players you pay that money to, and Bailey isn't one of them. I know we've got acres of cap space, but it feels very un-Geelong.

I get that the guy brings a poster boy element and that sort of thing, but he brings some troubles too.

I'd say there would be reservations supporter wise at all of Geelong, Hawthorn, Collingwood & the Dogs regardless of where he ends up at that figure. It's a lot of money for a player like him.

2021 Bailey šŸ‘
2023 Bailey šŸ˜¬

Even then, it was two awesome games in the finals.

If the caps going up by a lot then that changes it, but 1m+ should be reserved for the genuinely elite, club defining players IMO.
Not going to lie I'm a bit shocked at the concept. But he's still the kind of player we need and there's no one else.

Not sure mate sorry. Was only told the offer is 1.2. Considering Geelong donā€™t offer huge money, Iā€™d say a mix of both?
I'd say so, feels very unlike Geelong unless we've got word that the cap is going up by a big percentage.

Happened in the NFL the other day, and it's usually is the case after a new CBA agreement.

Seems like it's Hawks/Cats 50-50, and Pies are no chance?

Remove this Banner Ad

Trade Requested Bailey Smith [reportedly headed to Geelong]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back