Trade Requested Bailey Smith [reportedly headed to Geelong]

Remove this Banner Ad

His major issue with his skills is he doesn't slow down enough to execute the kick properly, He tries to do it at 100% pace and doesn't have the ability to do so hence 9/10 he kicks it over the leading players head

Ahh yeah so he tries to play one pace which is fast and doesn't steady on his kick.
Is that down to coaching maybe? Like no one pulling up his bad habits?

As i mentioned before, being a mid who does that it isn't a huge issue as the aim in modern footy is to drive footy forward out of contests moreso than hitting targets. Like yeah good kicking efficiency is good but winning the ball is probably more of a high priority.

Guys like Oliver, Danger, Taranto, De Goey etc are great at it and clubs don't care that they do it because they win soo much footy.

Playing as more of an outside mid or half forward i'd imagine the precedence is different.
When you've got guys like Miers, Nic Martin, McLuggage, Pickett etc hitting up key forward targets at a high efficiency that Bailey stands out for his poor disposals.

By the sounds of it, he's a confidence player in that his inconsistencies spike up when he's down on himself or in a rut.

Ahh yeah so he tries to play one pace which is fast and doesn't steady on his kick.
Is that down to coaching maybe? Like no one pulling up his bad habits?

As i mentioned before, being a mid who does that it isn't a huge issue as the aim in modern footy is to drive footy forward out of contests moreso than hitting targets. Like yeah good kicking efficiency is good but winning the ball is probably more of a high priority.

Guys like Oliver, Danger, Taranto, De Goey etc are great at it and clubs don't care that they do it because they win soo much footy.

Playing as more of an outside mid or half forward i'd imagine the precedence is different.
When you've got guys like Miers, Nic Martin, McLuggage, Pickett etc hitting up key forward targets at a high efficiency that Bailey stands out for his poor disposals.

By the sounds of it, he's a confidence player in that his inconsistencies spike up when he's down on himself or in a rut.

Yeah that's a fair assessment. 100% a confidence player. Hasn't really been the same since the headbutt suspension.

His best games have been in finals so I fewl like theres a decent career ahead of him.

Given the surname Smith and that he's already been photographed with cocaine, Melbourne may not be the best fit?
All I am seeing is that it is a culturally good fit

Smith has some of the worst foot skills I've ever seen. I still kinda want to keep him though.
Whole situation feels weird. A lot of Dogs fans are 50/50, likewise Hawks & Cats fans.

You guys I assume would prefer to lock up JUH long term and get a high pick or two out of Smith for your troubles, where as there's schools of thought in both the Geelong & Hawthorn camps that we'd prefer to just take the picks to the draft, or look elsewhere.

I know we've all got no say in the matter of what our clubs do, but it feels like Bailey isn't as 'in demand' as he's being made out to be, at least from posters on here.

You'd take him at the right price, but he's not a player you sell the farm for.

Whole situation feels weird. A lot of Dogs fans are 50/50, likewise Hawks & Cats fans.

You guys I assume would prefer to lock up JUH long term and get a high pick or two out of Smith for your troubles, where as there's schools of thought in both the Geelong & Hawthorn camps that we'd prefer to just take the picks to the draft, or look elsewhere.

I know we've all got no say in the matter of what our clubs do, but it feels like Bailey isn't as 'in demand' as he's being made out to be, at least from posters on here.

Look he's no Patrick Dangerfield and I know a few disagree with me but I think he's what we need at the cats.

Clark, Bruhn, Bowes can be a decent combo but they aren't quick enough off the mark to break stoppages open. When Holmes rolls through we just look different but his new half back role looks potential too important to let go. I think it makes a lot of sense for us provided his knee hasn't cooked his breakaway speed.

I also think it makes sense for Smith for a few reasons like midfield time, getting hidden a bit more from the mainstream media, Surf Coast instagram etc.

There's a really good chance too that this year the dogs will move past him. They'd already pushed him to a wing where he doesn't have the kicking skill to impact because they're stacked. Riley Sanders, who I really wanted to draft, is my tip for the rising star. Despite the media dogs have a strong list and you usually get a bump from churning the assistants. Good chance they are just happy to offload a contract for a decent selection.

I don't think he's a 2x first rounders level trade and wouldn't let our future first go, but I think he could be the right player at the right price to stabilise the midfield for us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The value has gone down so much, this is where waiting can really backfire especially imo reading between the line it seemed like he wanted out at the Dogs wasn't playing his favoured position. Geelong/Hawks/Bombers all the clubs that want him probably wanted him on the cheap so another down season.

I would be absolutely filthy at my manager for not pushing harder for a trade.

The grass is always greener ..or so they say... so I can understand some Dogs fans under appreciating the positives he offers and focusing on the negatives ...

Im ambivalence about recruiting him. If he wants to move then I have no doubt the club will do what it can to get him. He fits a need in experience and age.

The right price will be interesting to determine.

The value has gone down so much, this is where waiting can really backfire especially imo reading between the line it seemed like he wanted out at the Dogs wasn't playing his favoured position. Geelong/Hawks/Bombers all the clubs that want him probably wanted him on the cheap so another down season.

I would be absolutely filthy at my manager for not pushing harder for a trade.
It looked like his value was going to keep going down too. That wing position was just exposing his kicking flaws and they were doubling down on it.

That said, if you think you're in the window and a kid can play it doesn't make sense to let him go. Bailey signed the contract willingly.

Would previously have been disastrous for our midfield succession planning to lose him with no one else in the pipeline, but Sanders looks readymade. Would still prefer to keep him, but if we get a decent first rounder and can draft another mid we’ll be fine.

Would previously have been disastrous for our midfield succession planning to lose him with no one else in the pipeline, but Sanders looks readymade. Would still prefer to keep him, but if we get a decent first rounder and can draft another mid we’ll be fine.
Looking at all the young guys you have coming through who are due paydays him leaving could be him doing you a favour

I could see it taking pressure off if he moved out of Melbourne too
The Melbourne footy bubble definitely exists, can imagine if you're a bit quirky or introverted that getting a lot of attention and pressure from footy media/public could be straining on your mental health.
I know for example that a fair few guys moved up to Brisbane and stated that was one of the biggest positives for doing so.

Joe Daniher lives at Byron and travels to Springfield/Brisbane to train FFS just to stay out of the media's eye.
That's how much some of these guys want out of that spotlight.

Remove this Banner Ad

Trade Requested Bailey Smith [reportedly headed to Geelong]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back