Beamer to test waters of free agency

Remove this Banner Ad

Moloney could stay at Melbourne, but will wait until the free agency period after the season to consider his future.

"We will have some conversations with other clubs. My view is if he doesn't test the water of free agency, he is doing himself an injustice," Kaider said.

According to HUN.

Ghost of Chris Heffernan?

No great surprise. Would probably want to be careful not to be Brock MkII... meaning moving to contender but not being able to permanently stay in the side.

Performances have been well down this year and wouldn't exactly be inspiring the coaches/football dept to give him a big contract. Still a lot of time left in the season tho.

Jamar wont leave.

You would have to be an idiot to not test free agency.

It will become the norm for every eligible player to test the waters.

I'd say based on this and last year's performances he would be worth the choice of any two items on Macca's loose change menu.

He is a massive Melbourne man. But I did hear whispers that he wanted a trade to essendon last year and is keen to get there for next year. I didn't believe that at the time but now I'm not sure. Anyway we can't afford to lose any more experienced players.

Wouldnt be a great loss, he will not be around for a next push into september, Magner/Jones will be and they are very similar types.

On the matter of Jamar if he were to leave, we would have to find a replacement immediately, who could we target?

After reading the HUN articles, I always read the comments from other readers - this one concerns me:

dreamo Posted at 7:18 AM Today

off u go beamer.....you'll struggle to find a financial suitor tho!!! coming from someone who is very very close to watts....apparantly he wants out as well!!! just thought id throw that in

Now, I'm not the sort of person that takes much notice of these type of things, but with the recent dropping of Jack, the public berating of him at the start of the season and now even more talks of Moloney and Jamar delaying contract talks due to free agency, it has me sitting uneasy.

What are the thoughts from you guys?

If I was Schwab, I'd be trying to lock these guys down, and secure Viney too.

It seems as though everyone just wants to screw us over - even our own players.

If I recall correctly, Moloney paid out big time on Brock when he bailed out on the club, so surely this is just his agent talking the talk...

I think it's been established with $cully that every player has their price - Moloney (and even Watts, though I doubt that 'source' very much) are no exceptions. It's up to the club to put in the best offers they can, and hopefully a bit of on-field success in the future will make it easier to retain players.

I am worried about this free agency though, anyone thinking we wouldn't miss Moloney for the next couple of years is delusional, he is a decent player with good leadership skills (nights on the piss aside) and most crucially is up around that 100 games + 27-30 age experience bracket that we need.

I took no interest in the article after reading the first line "The reigning best-and-fairest winner could join another free agent, ruckman Mark Jamar, in departing the club."

I wasn't aware that Mark Jamar was leaving.

I also don't agree with Kaider's opinion that one club players will disappear from the game.

After reading the HUN articles, I always read the comments from other readers - this one concerns me:

Now, I'm not the sort of person that takes much notice of these type of things, but with the recent dropping of Jack, the public berating of him at the start of the season and now even more talks of Moloney and Jamar delaying contract talks due to free agency, it has me sitting uneasy.

What are the thoughts from you guys?

If I was Schwab, I'd be trying to lock these guys down, and secure Viney too.

It seems as though everyone just wants to screw us over - even our own players.

My thoughts are a 2 minute google will tell you watts has 2 years left on his contract.

I'd say based on this and last year's performances he would be worth the choice of any two items on Macca's loose change menu.

Are you serious?

he won the b&f last year, clearly one of our best, if not our best player.

Should have been captain, being dropped from the leadership group may have swayed him?

He's not going anywhere. Typical agent tactic trying to get more out of Melbourne.

"We are on a straight line and we will not deviate . . . if you don't want to be on that straight line go to Carlton, go wherever," Moloney said.

He won't deviate

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are you serious?

he won the b&f last year, clearly one of our best, if not our best player.

Should have been captain, being dropped from the leadership group may have swayed him?

3rd in the brownlow count to i think, lol some people around here are forgetful and short sighted.

Article doesn't mean much really. Will test the waters but will anyone want to pay him big bucks? Most of the contenders areal ready have great midfields that Moloney would struggle to get in to.

These articles will be the norm all year for most clubs with free agency here. We will need to get used to it.

These articles will be the norm all year for most clubs with free agency here. We will need to get used to it.
For sure, and the nature in which they come about (ie which players are mentioned) will be completely arbitrary unless it is a clear cut "player x wants out".

I can see my club having good hard look at him, we have the cap space to throw some big $ around, I imagine already having Adam Maric and Brad Miller would make the transition slightly easier.

For sure, and the nature in which they come about (ie which players are mentioned) will be completely arbitrary unless it is a clear cut "player x wants out".

Exactly and fact is we're a soft target right now

Moloney's manager has at least stated they will be testing the waters, yet Jamar has stated his desire to remain at the club

No direct quotes from Jamar and his manager, just using his name to make the story seem like a mass exodus is looming (weren't we having a mass exodus last year as well?)

The other laughable thing is that we were smacked pillar to post for recruiting Clark and paying overs. All sorts of ludicrous comments have been made by the media (a la Brisbane will get better value out of Ben Hudson than we will out of Clark)

We recruit a 24 year old, 200cm, 100kg, aggressive, agile, mobile big man who has shown he can play multiple positions and we're taken to task over this

Yet all and sundry are for other clubs making a big play for Jamar, who did very little for 8 - 9 years, had one AA year, is 29, is 1 dimensional in that he's not great around the ground and he's not great up forward (save the odd game) and that's ok

I understand Melbourne have made themselves easy targets, but this sort of BS bias pisses me off

The other laughable thing is that we were smacked pillar to post for recruiting Clark and paying overs. All sorts of ludicrous comments have been made by the media (a la Brisbane will get better value out of Ben Hudson than we will out of Clark)

We recruit a 24 year old, 200cm, 100kg, aggressive, agile, mobile big man who has shown he can play multiple positions and we're taken to task over this

Yet all and sundry are for other clubs making a big play for Jamar, who did very little for 8 - 9 years, had one AA year, is 29, is 1 dimensional in that he's not great around the ground and he's not great up forward (save the odd game) and that's ok

Excellent point on Clark, I've been thinking the same.

Because we did it via a trade we've been pummelled but (pick 12 aside in a weak draft) we merely offered more $$$ than other suitors which is the prime driver of f/a.

Now we have Freo throwing $1mill at Cloke and it stands to reason that this is a significant amount more than what he is already on (or at least was in the works for in future at Pieland) or they wouldn't have bothered. It's up to Collingwood to match it. It stands to reason that either Freo or Collingwood will be paying overs here care of the f/a system but the media will just praise the club that ends up with him.

I can see my club having good hard look at him, we have the cap space to throw some big $ around, I imagine already having Adam Maric and Brad Miller would make the transition slightly easier.

Take him if he agrees, but I wouldn't be reminding him that those two are on your list tbh

Am I missing something between Moloney and Maric/Miller?

Or is this more of a, your list is so bad that we recruited 2 ex Melbourne duds sort of thing? :p

He's having a crack at the 2 former Demons. Don't think we're really in a position to have a go at your list. Miller is just filling a gap for you until someone else is ready, and Maric is Maric. Plays well in the NAB Cup then turns to poo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Beamer to test waters of free agency

Remove this Banner Ad

Back