Free Agency Ben McKay [Joins Essendon as RFA]

Does he stay or does he go?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

It’s not like he is a 200 game veteran. He ain’t be the 1st player to not have many wins is his 1st 50 games.
7 (now 8) years is a long time to only enjoy victory 7 times though. You're right in what you're saying but even someone like Tom Lynch (GC) who was involved in an expansion club experienced more than 7 wins in his first 3 years (38 games). This is 7 wins in 7 years (50~ games).

Ben McKay was on MMM pre-game today and said he is loving North Melbourne and is excited to play for Clarkson for a long time.

Didn't sound like a man contemplating a new club any time soon.

It’s based on what a club offers. Nothing to do with accolades.

He will get big offers.

Lol it amazes me that some talk about “accolades” etc when discussing free agency compo. How can you post something and not have any grasp on how the system works?

As you say it’s entirely what a player is offered.

With a small weighting to their age, with McKay getting maximum given he’ll be 25 at the time.

Ben McKay fits the injury prone criteria for Carlton so as to be offered a 5 year contract on very good money, only to play roughly 70 games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ben McKay fits the injury prone criteria for Carlton so as to be offered a 5 year contract on very good money, only to play roughly 70 games.

Great opportunity for him to great chemisty in the rehab group with the rest of our backline (McGovern, Williams, Marchbank).

Isn't Ben McKay's future based on the performance of the club in 2023? We literally won't know what's going to happen until the end of the season. Unfortunately I reckon the bar is set to a place I believe we can't reach.

Ben McKay was on MMM pre-game today and said he is loving North Melbourne and is excited to play for Clarkson for a long time.

Didn't sound like a man contemplating a new club any time soon.
I remember when Dale Thomas went on radio right before the end of the year and told pies supporting kids to pull their Thomas jumpers out of the bin, when he knew damn well he was out the door.

With McGoverns shitty contract ending. McKay would be a big improvement.
No thanks.
He's a good player, but will want pretty decent money. Is a year older than Young (an extra year in the system too), played 7 more games, injured regularly, with no real statistical advantage in his favour.
I hope he stays at North.
1679629377862.png

Yeh except Lewis Young plays on the oppo's 3rd best forward...

Carlton probably don't need Ben, given McGovern, Weitering and Young are high quality defensive talls.

Perhaps they're concerned about McGovern's longevity, but if not, I would say they won't chase Ben.
Even still Mcgovern plays similar to Tom Stewart. He's a decent height but he's not matching up against the oppo KPFs. He's just trying to close space, intercept and rebound the ball. He's lightning quick and a beautiful kick and replacing him with Ben wouldn't really be a like for like. Harry Himmelberg down back would be a much better fit for us if we were looking to replace Gov.

Played well too and still got taken to the cleaners. Reckon Jez Cameron and Curnow are close to impossible match ups for everyone outside of Griffin Logue and Dylan Grimes. Freaks.
Charlie Curnow has the day he plays the dogs written on his mirror every year. Reckon he averages at least 5 against us.

Remove this Banner Ad

Free Agency Ben McKay [Joins Essendon as RFA]

Back