Bendigo COACH

Remove this Banner Ad

I reckon Nick Carter

pretty sure has to be a essendon person as part of the new alignment. i would say he would have a bit to do with it agn as ass coach.
with know coach atm does this put the club in a bit of jeporty if they dont get one soon ? senoir players may leave if it isnt resolved soon!

I reckon he'd like to play with his brother at Golden Square in the Bendigo league, not sure if it'll happen though

I wouldn't be surprised if Gary Ayres is offered the job. I imagine he would decline though and we would see the last of the great mullets at Windy Hill.

I wouldn't be surprised if Gary Ayres is offered the job. I imagine he would decline though and we would see the last of the great mullets at Windy Hill.

Might also add, I would hope the EFC uses the Bendigo job as a way to bring in another fresh mind with new ideas that could compliment what Knights will be doing with the younger players.

some one like harwick should do maybe overlooked from the coaching job cos of no actual head coaching job maybe ? doubt gary ayres would do it already assistant coach, would say it would be who ever is the new development officer ? hopefully new young coach maybe? with different style maybe? but think it will be soon considering they will want to be signing players for 08, no one will sign untill theyknow who the coach will be'

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Knights vows to make Bombers prosper in VFL
space.gif

NEW Essendon coach Matthew Knights has vowed to do all he can to ensure the Metricon Bendigo Bombers establish themselves as the most professional second-tier club in Australia.
Knights, 36, was appointed the new coach of Essendon last Thursday having spent three years coaching the Bendigo Bombers in the VFL.
‘‘I’m very passionate about the Bendigo Bombers and I have a lot of plans, thoughts and visions going around my head already about how we can take the Bombers to all sorts of new levels in regards to professionalism, resources and development,’’ Knights told The Advertiser.
‘‘I want to run the Bendigo Bombers like it’s an AFL club from this point onwards in regards to standards, and I want to make the Bombers the most professional second-tier club in Australia.
‘‘I’ve got a passion for it because I’ve coached at Bendigo, and that’s what makes it really exciting for the Bendigo Bombers because I have an enormous interest in Bendigo moving forward, both from a professionalism point of view and community point of view.’’ Knights coached Bendigo from 2005 until this year, replacing inaugural coach Peter Banfield, who resigned at the end of the 2004 season.
In Knights’ 58 games as coach, the Bombers won 24 matches and played in finals in 2005 and this year. He has no doubt his grounding in Bendigo will hold him in good stead at Essendon, which appointed Knights on a three-year contract.
‘‘Those three years in Bendigo have been extremely important,’’ Knights said.
‘‘To be able to coach your own team in Bendigo, you’re moulding a team that is really only coming together on match day, and you’re handling young men and dealing with players on match day and in training on their development.
‘‘Bendigo is not an easy gig because at times there is opposition and different philosophies around town, so it makes you fairly hardened.’‘ And coaching Bendigo, compared to coaching an AFL team, you don’t have the resources in regards to technology, sport science and even with the amount of assistants in the box with you.
‘‘You tend to do a lot of it yourself, so that has probably given me a good grounding as well.’’ Under the terms of the latest alignment agreement between Essendon and the Bombers, which runs until the end of 2009, Essendon will appoint Knights’ replacement.
And Knights is going to have a major say on who his successor will be. Leg 5 ‘‘I will be playing a huge role in that with Peter Lodewijks (acting Bombers general manager) and the board of the Bendigo Bombers,’’ Knights said.
‘‘We will look at candidates fairly swiftly, and we will be looking for a coach who can really relate to people and communicate with not only an AFL playing list, but a VFL playing list.
‘‘We’re really excited about a new appointment coming to Bendigo.
‘‘I’m not going to waste time in speaking to Peter Jackson (Essendon managing director) and Travis Auld (Essendon chief operating officer) about Bendigo because it’s a very important piece in the puzzle.
‘‘And I don’t under-estimate that the Bendigo playing list and staff are also waiting for a decision, and I have to think of all of those people, so I’m really mindful of that.
‘‘I’ll be getting to this appointment in Bendigo sooner rather than later.’’ Knights, who played 279 games for Richmond between 1988 and 2002, joined Bendigo in 2005 having spent the previous two years involved with SANFL club Port Adelaide Magpies.
‘‘I look back on my time in Bendigo with real fondness,’’ he said.
‘‘It’s a challenging gig at times, but it’s enjoyable.
‘‘When the challenges were there you jumped the hurdles when they presented, you’re dealing with two lists that are an hour-and-a-half away, you’re dealing with sponsors and staff . . . coaching a team at VFL level is very diverse.
‘‘There’s a lot of different characteristics, attitudes and personalities involved and I look back on my time as just having a ball, I really have.
‘‘I’ve met some great people and the good thing is I’m not going to be lost to Bendigo at all, because as coach of Essendon, one of my priorities during the interview process was to see as many Bendigo Bombers games as possible.
‘‘I’m going to get as much joy in watching young Essendon-listed players develop as watching a Simon Rosa continue to develop.
‘‘When I’m up at Bendigo Bombers games next season, I will have a great relationship with the staff because the relationship is already there.’’ Knights said following the announcement last Thursday afternoon that he would be succeeding Kevin Sheedy, he had received an overwhelming response from the people of Bendigo, plus his hometown of Mildura.
‘‘It has been outstanding, and the confidence I have gained from the people of Bendigo and Mildura ringing and throwing their weight of support behind you has just been magnificent,’’ Knights said.
‘‘I believe that as coach of Essendon, I have Bendigo and Mildura behind me, which gives you a lot of confidence as a person.’’ With his appointment at Essendon last week, Knights has been handed the responsibility of coaching one of the biggest football clubs in Australia.
‘‘When you’re right in the middle of it you don’t even think about it, but some of the people I have spoken to on the phone are blown away by it and trying to get their head around it,’’ he said.
‘‘I’ve got my head around it; I had lunch with a good mate of mine, Chris Naish, at the MCG the other day, and I looked out over the ground and thought, `first game of the season or Anzac Day, coaching in front of 80,000 or 90,000 people’, that’s when it hits you.
‘‘Essendon is a very powerful club, a very stable club and it has always been an exciting footy team and I feel like I have fantastic support from the board, staff and the players since the appointment has been made.
‘‘So that gives you a lot of confidence going into the job.’’ Knights takes over an Essendon side that hasn’t played finals since 2004 and finished 12th this season with 10 victories.
And just like he did while he was at Bendigo, Knights will bring an attacking, exciting brand of football with him to Essendon.
‘‘Our team is going to have a changing look about it, but in saying that, we’re still going to play a very entertaining brand of football,’’ Knights said.
‘‘We’re not going to bring a dour game to the table, it will be entertaining. ‘‘One of the things I said to the (coaching) sub-committee was it’s very hard to put a lid on what we’re looking for, but the key things are I’m really going to put some priorities and foundations in place to build on, and those priorities will come out in due course.’’
care of the bendigo addy

What about Chris Heffernan? He knows the list very well and has come across as having a smart football brain and being a good speaker. Could develop him down the road if Knights doesn't work out:confused:

What about Chris Heffernan? He knows the list very well and has come across as having a smart football brain and being a good speaker. Could develop him down the road if Knights doesn't work out:confused:

might wanna play VFL, dunno would be a good coach has got alot of respect of players down there

Hopefully they never play another final where they lead by 9 goals at half time only to lose by 6 goals :rolleyes:

And hopefully one day people will learn enough about footy to understand why it happened.....

Remove this Banner Ad

Bendigo COACH

Remove this Banner Ad

Back