I think kavanaugh could have his breakout year this year

Baguley - Carlisle - Hooker
Dempsey - Hurley - Hibberd
Stanton - Watson - Goddard
Melksham - Daniher - Winderlich
Hardingham - Bellchambers - Chapman
Paddy - Heppell - Hocking
Myers - Merrett - Zaharakis - Howlett

Browne, Edwards, Dalgleish, Ashby, O'Brien, Kavanagh, Colyer and Hams to push for games as well. Would almost have Colyer ahead of Howlett or Hardingham

Would want to actually get close to Watson's opponent next year if that is what he is actually doing. The justification of Kommer is a perfect example of the extent to which the game can be overthought and that sometimes decisions are nothing more than academic (covering up selections which are based on nothing more than a coach's preference for an attitude).

Hopefully this is like the time Bomber came asked WTF is Slattery doing on the list so that this can be put out of its misery.

B: Baguley Carlisle Pears
HB: Dempsey Hooker Hibberd
W: Stanton Watson Zaharakis
HF: Chapman Hurley Melksham
F: Winderlich Daniher Ryder
R: Bellchambers Heppell Goddard
Int: Myers Hocking Fletcher Howlett
Em: Merrett, Kavanagh, Kommer, O'Brien, Ashby, Edwards, Aylett

Not up to it- Hardingham, Jetta, Davey, Stienberg

B: Baguley, Carlisle, Fletcher
HB: Hibberd, Hooker, Dempsey
C: Stanton, Watson, Goddard
HF: Chapman, Hurley, Zaharakis
F: Winderlich, Ryder, Kommer
R: Bellchambers, Heppell, Hocking
I/C: Melksham, Myers, Howlett
Sub: Merrett

Back six is very easy to pick. Good solid back up in Hardingham and Pears too with Van Unen being a bit of an unknown.

Good solid midfield. Howlett in danger of being pushed out by the younger guys if he doesn't step up from his second half of the year form.

Forward line becomes a little more difficult to select. Hurley, Chapman, Winderlich and the resting ruck are locks for me (when they can get on the park). Could potentially play Daniher as well depending on how much he develops over pre-season. I'm backing Kommer to improve on his first season but he could quite easily be pushed out by one of the younger mids.

B: Van Unen, Pears, Hardingham
HB: Browne, Gregory, Dalgleish
C: Colyer, O'Brien, Jetta
HF: Gleeson, Daniher, Ashby
F: Dell'Olio, Steinberg, Edwards
R: , Kavanagh, Hams
I/C: Aylett

Short a ruck which we'll definitely need to fix. Maybe a mature ager. Good solid backup in most areas though so we should be ok if we have under five injuries at a time. Hopefully one of these guys can really step up and command a spot, similar to Merrett this year.

I reckon Kommer is underloved by most on here. Everyone says he dropped off a bit in the 2nd half of season but i reckon most of the team did. Defensively he is top notch, does all the team things, all he needs to do is win more of the pill rather than chasing other dudes with it. if he improves and can build his tank so he can roll into the midfield a bit id be giving him more than a few chances to stake his claim.

How in the **** are people still criticising Cale Hooker?

I was a huge Hooker hater, and while he still has his flaws, he was easily (for mine) our most improved player this year. Absolute rock down back. I remember one match he got like 30 possessions and almost broke the record for intercept marks in a game !

If by any chance you're reading this Hooksy, huge props and we ****ing appreciate it mate :)

B: Baguley - Hurley - Fletcher
HB: Dempsey - Hooker - Hibberd
C: Zaharakis - Watson - Stanton
HF: Goddard - Carlisle - Winderlich
F: Chapman - Bellchambers - Daniher
R: Ryder - Heppell - Hocking
I/C: Melksham - Myers - Merrett - Hardingham

Fletcher needs to do better than this year because that just wasn't good enough for best 22, but I'd still like to seem him make 400. But not if it costs us wins.

I've kept the half back line the same as it was this year because it's extremely solid and damaging, but I'm one of the people who wants to see Hibberd trialed through the midfield, as I was very impressed by Dalgleish's performances and think that he and Dempsey can handle the flanks while Hibberd's line breaking and perfect passing could be very useful in the midfield.

I'm not too fussed about the Hurley/Carlisle-forward/back quandary - either way I think we'll be fine and whichever one stays back will earn AA. It's partly dependent on the outcome of Hurley's off season surgeries. If he starts taking more overhead marks, as he did against St Kilda, he could become extremely dangerous. Would not be surprised if he finally realised some of his potential in 2014.

Bellchambers should spend way more time in the forward line than Ryder - as everyone knows, Ryder rucks better when he's doing it alone and Bellchambers is one of the better contested marks in the league. Just plonk him in the goal square and bomb it in and he'll hold onto it. Ryder and Hurley aren't capable of those types of marks.

The rest is pretty self explanatory, except for maybe the Hardingham inclusion. He's quick, athletic, has reliable disposal and is versatile - deserving of a spot in the best 22. I was shocked when he wasn't getting games early in the season because he was solid in 2012, but the improved performances of Baguley and Hibberd justified his exclusion. Still, he's a very handy player and I'm glad we didn't trade him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As far as I'm concerned our priorities moving into 2014 should be:

a) Fixing and finalising the forward line.

and

b) Improving our entry into the forward line.

Do that and we're in for some good times down at Windy Hill 2.

b) Improving our entry into the forward line.

This is my beef.

Hardly matters on what cattle we have in the F50 for 2014, if we can't get it too them in a manner to hit the scoreboard - we could have picked up any Joe Blow and paid minimum wage.

Kommer is the new Stanton.

He'd have to average 20 more possessions a game to be anywhere near Stanton in any way possible. He's not being overly criticised or undervalued, it's an adequate reflection of his actual value and significance to the side. He simply doesn't have enough impact on games, I don't see why the **** we'd starve someone else of opportunity in the midfield for this bloke. He's just not good enough.

B. Hibberd Pears Hurley
HB. Goddard Fletcher Heppell
C. Hocking Howlett Myers
HF. Melksham Carlisle Stanton
F. Ryder Daniher Chapman
R Bellchambers Zaharakis Watson
I Winderlich Hooker Baguley
S Colyer
But that's just my opinion man

I really don't see how Kommer keeps his spot next year..

Yeah I'm not sure either. I mean I like him and I'm usually one of the few to defend him but it just feels like unless he has a monster preseason guys like Kav or NOB, and now maybe Edwards or Aylett might go past him.

On the other hand I think he has a lot of upside if he can work on his fitness and get more of the ball. Fitness will help with getting the ball and a guy with that sort of defensive mindset who can win his own ball and use it ok is something really valuable for the side. He'll kick 20 goals if he averages 5 more disposals a game too. So it just comes down to how much work he's willing to put in and his physical limits as an athlete as to how far he'll go.

Baguley - Carlisle - Fletcher
Hibberd - Hooker - Dempsey
Stanton - Watson - Goddard
Merrett - Daniher - Hurley
Chapman - Bellchambers - Winderlich
Ryder - Heppell - Zaharakis
Melksham - Myers - Hocking - Howlett

The new whipping boy. Not comparing them as players. Obviously Stants is a lot better.

There's a fair difference between a player who's consistently top 10 in the B&F and a player who contributes very little on-field.

Remove this Banner Ad

Best 22 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Back