Best 22 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Here's a left field prediction. I think Jetta will have a huge pre-season, and being 26 he will be at about his physical peak. The hard yards he put in this year will turn him into a hard, skilful presence across the HFF. I can see Jetta making the team Rd.1 at the expense of Kommer and doing okay.
Now bring on the BF lovin! ;)

Pretty hard to play round 1 if he is rookie listed or delisted all together ;)

a trifle ambitious putting Hurley in there, especially up forward.

Perhaps.. I still think most sides would fit him in.. probably down back where he belongs.. but oh well..

Also I would ask you to consider this:
EFC lost 8 games in 2013, I'm going to disregard the last game for obvious reasons...

So EFC lost 7 'live' games in 2013, 2 when Hurley was playing, 1 when Hurley started but was injured in Q1, and 4 games when Hurley wasn't playing.

In both rounds 7+8 that we lost, Hurley scored less than 80 SC points.. which was the first time Hurley had scored under 90 pts for the season (playing rounds 1-4 with an average close to 94pts), Round 7 was his first game back from injury, with Round 8 seeing him injured very early in the game resulting in a close lose to the Lions.

Interestingly during our horror run of losses from rounds 18-21, Hurley didn't play for 19,20 and 21. Also, it was Round 18 against the Hawks that saw the only game for the season where Hurley scored over 80 SC pts in a losing team.

Therefore the following could be said:
EFC won 80% of games where Hurley started
EFC won 85% of games where Hurley started and finished the game

*Also there was only one occassion where Hurley scored less than 80pts (SC) for more than 2 consecutive games.. between Games 7-9 where he was injured early in both 8,9. Realistically Hurley did not score under 80pts for any two consecutively played un-injured rounds of Football. That is remarkable imho for a Young key position player battling with several injuries and the year we had.

Underestimate the important of Hurley at your peril, he is far better than some ppl realise and far more important to our structure in the forward half. Unfortunately ppl expect him to the next Carey, which he isn't just yet. Hurley is a 23 year old who averages 13 disposals, 5 marks and 1.5 goals a game, take out the injury effected rounds and he averages 17 disposals, 7 marks and 2 goals a game... which is pretty impressive.

If we can sort out the injuries, Hurley will go from the B+ grade to A grade no worries..

hey you're preaching to the converted. I've even got 18 on the back of the jumper - although I was pretty quick on the bandwagon to do that back 09 or 10..... but he's massively important for us, no doubt. if he could kick straight, he's figures would be a lot more flattering.

all I was saying is that he's got a fair way to go to make AA. for starters.... staying on the park.

hey you're preaching to the converted. I've even got 18 on the back of the jumper - although I was pretty quick on the bandwagon to do that back 09 or 10..... but he's massively important for us, no doubt. if he could kick straight, he's figures would be a lot more flattering.

all I was saying is that he's got a fair way to go to make AA. for starters.... staying on the park.

The frustrating thing about this season was the 2-3 'unlucky' ones.. like being knocked out early etc..

Also I hope they find and fix the wrist issue to a point where he can clunk marks.. which should be possible.. if you look at the first 5 rounds he actually one-grabbed a couple of high balls!

I'm not sure if goals will ever be our priority for Hurley up forward.. he plays a very high CHF.. Ideally he is the 'link' man that marks 55-60 out and roosts it to the goal square of hits up Daniher (think Lucas/Lloyd)... also continuing to mark the contest from quick kicks out of the backline.. hold up the ball until the midfield can spread.. or ideally win a few too..

Who will be Essendon's two leading goal kickers in 2014 and roughly how many goals do you think they will kick each?

Who will be Essendon's two leading goal kickers in 2014 and roughly how many goals do you think they will kick each?
JD - 50
Winderlich - 37

I would hope TBC spends too much time in the ruck. Chappy will be in the running if he plays enough games (raffle the injuries between him Licka and Hurley).

JD - 50
Winderlich - 37

I would hope TBC spends too much time in the ruck. Chappy will be in the running if he plays enough games (raffle the injuries between him Licka and Hurley).
Will be a sensational effort for JD to kick 50 goals in his second season. Just wanted your thoughts because I believe you're one superstar forward away from a premiership. Just don't think you'll kick enough goals next year.

Will be a sensational effort for JD to kick 50 goals in his second season. Just wanted your thoughts because I believe you're one superstar forward away from a premiership. Just don't think you'll kick enough goals next year.
If you saw him in action this year you would have seen that he was damn close to being a force already... It's very difficult to know how he will go next year because almost anything is possible. With the extra weight of the preseason i don't think there is any doubt that he will tear a bunch teams wide open next season. I don't think we are a premiership threat next year because you would have to imagine that JD will tail off at the wrong time. It's not the done thing, but i would be sending him to Bali for a month in June...
Anyway 2015 look the f**k out! :D

gets the yips still though. I'm not convinced he'll ever kick 40+ in a season.

would love to see him down back again. I remember the bath he gave Podsiadly in 2011, Geelongs premiership season. so much more damaging as a backman

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you saw him in action this year you would have seen that he was damn close to being a force already... It's very difficult to know how he will go next year because almost anything is possible. With the extra weight of the preseason i don't think there is any doubt that he will tear a bunch teams wide open next season. I don't think we are a premiership threat next year because you would have to imagine that JD will tail off at the wrong time. It's not the done thing, but i would be sending him to Bali for a month in June...
Anyway 2015 look the f**k out! :D
I actually watched all the young key forwards closely and he definitely showed glimpses, don't think he's ready to monster sides yet and there's nothing wrong with a KPP taking that extra couple of years to develop. Having said that he will be a superstar in the future. I just think currently think the Dons lack a powerhouse forward who can kick 50+ goals in 2014 and in my opinion if they had that player they could snatch a premiership.

Are the players going again to high altitude training in America.

Hope we take Kommer to build up his endurance - I want Kommer to spend 50% of the time in the midfield.

We need more goals from the pure mids this yr for starters, there's plenty of other players like Goddard who could hit the scoreboard more often.
Daniher's kicking is fine & good enough for 2 a game in 2014, he needs to work on his run-up though, every shot he had he got to close to the man on the mark & either pulled or pushed every attempt at goal.
Agree with Hurley having the yips but should still get 40+ if he can lead a bit more direct & fingers crossed Chappy & Winders can get 70 between them.

We need more goals from the pure mids this yr for starters, there's plenty of other players like Goddard who could hit the scoreboard more often.
Daniher's kicking is fine & good enough for 2 a game in 2014, he needs to work on his run-up though, every shot he had he got to close to the man on the mark & either pulled or pushed every attempt at goal.
Agree with Hurley having the yips but should still get 40+ if he can lead a bit more direct & fingers crossed Chappy & Winders can get 70 between them.

JD was pretty good in the VFL even in terrible conditions in some games. I expect the goal kicking to improve pretty easily from him next season. You are right though, more goals from midfielders is always a good thing! You know who plays midfield and kicks a lot of goals... CHAPPY!!!

FB: Baguley Carlisle Fletcher

HB: Dempsey Hooker Hibberd

C: Stanton Watson Goddard

HF: Chapman Hurley Zaharakis

FF: Winderlich Daniher Bellchambers

RR: Ryder Heppell Hocking

IC: Howlett Myers Pears Melksham

Good side on paper this is a very very strong side capable of winning a flag.

Only change would be Pears Out, Merrett or Colyer In.

Are the players going again to high altitude training in America.

Hope we take Kommer to build up his endurance - I want Kommer to spend 50% of the time in the midfield.

Like in the VFL or seniors?

We have actual midfielders who can play midfield in the seniors. I would rather they play there.

Good side on paper this is a very very strong side capable of winning a flag.

Only change would be Pears Out, Merrett or Colyer In.

Yep, you could definitely argue that point. I guess I was looking for balance too, ie cover for rucks is sorted with Ryder and TBC rotating. Pears to cover the defenders needing a rest and the others just offer midfield rotations. We can also let Jobe, BJ and Stanton especially go forward to rest and be effective targets.

Merrett is first cab off the rank outside that 22 though. I like the boy.

Yep, you could definitely argue that point. I guess I was looking for balance too, ie cover for rucks is sorted with Ryder and TBC rotating. Pears to cover the defenders needing a rest and the others just offer midfield rotations. We can also let Jobe, BJ and Stanton especially go forward to rest and be effective targets.

Merrett is first cab off the rank outside that 22 though. I like the boy.

Very, Very rarely are Defenders selected for rotations not a lot of point resting Carlisle or Hooker for long periods of time, hence why interchange is mostly comprised of midfield types.

Very, Very rarely are Defenders selected for rotations not a lot of point resting Carlisle or Hooker for long periods of time, hence why interchange is mostly comprised of midfield types.
And if you were inclined to have a defender type for rotations then Dal would be damn tempting given that it is probably the running defenders that will need the rest.

Remove this Banner Ad

Best 22 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Back