Remove this Banner Ad

Baguley - Carlisle - Fletcher
Hibberd - Hooker - Dempsey
Stanton - Watson - Goddard
Merrett - Daniher - Hurley
Chapman - Bellchambers - Winderlich
Ryder - Heppell - Zaharakis
Melksham - Myers - Hocking - Howlett

Hard to argue with that team.. and hard to see anything other than top 4 tbh.

Players in bold are who I think *could* be looking at AA this year.. or capable of producing A grade performances.. 12 A graders in one side is always going to be dangerous.. then you have Fletch, Winders, Melky, Myers, Hocking, Hooker that are all probably B+..

The weakest 3 (for me) would be Merrett, Howlett and Baguley.. and they are by no means the weakest players in the AFL.. so our team/list is very very good..

Coupled with the fact you would think there are now probably 5-6 guys on the fringe (EKav, Kommer, Pears, Hardingham etc etc) that can slot in easily.. too exciting to think about!

Ben's best 22 is close to the mark. Think's its important that guys like Browne/Edwards/Kavanagh etc push up to play 10+ games. This is where our real improvement will come.

Ben's best 22 is close to the mark. Think's its important that guys like Browne/Edwards/Kavanagh etc push up to play 10+ games. This is where our real improvement will come.

More importantly, if we can't get them plenty of games they'll jump ship to carlton or something.

FB: Ashby - Carlisle - Pears
HB: Edwards - Hurley - Hibberd
C: Goddard - Watson - Dempsey
R: Hocking - Ryder - Heppell
HF: Chapman - Daniher - Zaharakis
FF: Bellchambers - Winderlich - Garlett
I/C: Melksham - Stanton - Myers
S: Kavanagh

Isn't that the whole point of the Stants the whipping boy comparison. That Stanton was good but was being unfairly criticised because about 80% of his game was always quality.

Maybe. I just get tired of the Kommer bashing on this board. He was obviously in the team this year to do a particular job. And he must have been doing it otherwise he would have been dropped. If there is any blame put it on the selectors who choose the team.

Maybe. I just get tired of the Kommer bashing on this board. He was obviously in the team this year to do a particular job. And he must have been doing it otherwise he would have been dropped. If there is any blame put it on the selectors who choose the team.

Quoting for truth

And if you read the bashing carefully you'll see that it is querying whether he gets close to doing the jobs he is asked to do.

Baguley - Carlisle - Fletcher / Pears
Hibberd - Hooker - Dempsey
Goddard - Watson - Stanton
Chapman - Hurley - Zaharakis
Bellchambers - Daniher - Winderlich
Ryder - Heppell - Melksham
Myers - Hocking - Howlett - ??? Merrrett, Kav, Kommer, Edwards

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For the first half of 2013.. I had no real problem with him being in the team.. I would have prefer to stick with a guy like Jetta or Davey or even give EKav some games.. but it was what it was..

Kommer was poor the second half of 2013.. however there were a distinct lack of alternative for that position with Merrett also tiring, Davey out of form/injury and Jetta now unable to even reach the low heights of 2012..

Also with Dempsey going down.. we had to send Winders back to get some drive and creative run off half back.. this meant we had even less options up forward..

So I'm not sure it is as simple as "he was in the team and therefore he is good"...

I personally think he will struggle for regular games this year if he doesn't improve... as others have said though.. I would love Kommer's attitude in a slightly faster, more skilled unit!

How many players weren't?

Fair Point.

I still think IF we can have a player like NOB, Dalgleish, EKav, Edwards etc come through and take Kommer's position.. we should be a better team...

The defensive forward role has to be able to also hit the scoreboard.. and if Kommer can improve that aspect then I have no issue with him in the team.. oh and actually land tackles rather than getting close..

I haven't seen many on here calling him a spud or a dud or useless.. I think we all admire the effort/attitude however just feel that there are significant gaps in his game.. and that maybe the team could be better served by a different type of player..

Hence the comparison with Slattery is apt.

Sometimes you can measure the strength of an overall team by how many players a highly likely 'walk up' starters in any club in the competition.. For a long while we had under 3 players that would be in that category..

I now think you honestly say 11 (14) guys could be in that group: Carlisle, (Fletcher), Dempsey, Hibberd, Goddard, Watson, Stanton, (Chapman), Hurley, Zaka, (Daniher), Ryder, Heppell, Melksham would all be in that category (Fletch/Chapman maybe not because of age, not necessarily skill etc - Daniher yet to show it but most clubs would love to have him in their team developing)

Obviously this doesn't take into account role players (Hocking etc) but probably a good guide to the strength of our top end talent...

Are people more hopeful that NOB might turn into best 22 because of his endurance or have you all seen something that I haven't?

Kids always end up in best 22 threads at this time of year. I like the ones with Ashby in them.

Kids always end up in best 22 threads at this time of year. I like the ones with Ashby in them.

History suggests that someone will 'break out' each year.. I guess the fun is in trying to work out which young guy will..

EKav shows glimpses to make you think he could be close, coaching staff really rate NOB, Edwards is getting huge wraps and it seems the only asterisk on him is effort/attitude.. plus you have Merrett that presumably gets better and builds on his 70% game time this year..

I also don't see many kids getting a run in the EFC proposed best 22's on here (Compared to say the Melbourne board which has basically an Under 20 side proposed, same at St Kilda).. Most ppl seem to be limiting it to 1-2 getting a game (usually with one as a sub) which is probably about right..

Players in bold are who I think *could* be looking at AA this year.. or capable of producing A grade performances..

a trifle ambitious putting Hurley in there, especially up forward.

Here's a left field prediction. I think Jetta will have a huge pre-season, and being 26 he will be at about his physical peak. The hard yards he put in this year will turn him into a hard, skilful presence across the HFF. I can see Jetta making the team Rd.1 at the expense of Kommer and doing okay.
Now bring on the BF lovin! ;)

History suggests that someone will 'break out' each year.. I guess the fun is in trying to work out which young guy will..

EKav shows glimpses to make you think he could be close, coaching staff really rate NOB, Edwards is getting huge wraps and it seems the only asterisk on him is effort/attitude.. plus you have Merrett that presumably gets better and builds on his 70% game time this year..

I also don't see many kids getting a run in the EFC proposed best 22's on here (Compared to say the Melbourne board which has basically an Under 20 side proposed, same at St Kilda).. Most ppl seem to be limiting it to 1-2 getting a game (usually with one as a sub) which is probably about right..
You don't include Browne in that? Surely he is a big chance of trumping Kav?

Remove this Banner Ad

Best 22 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Back