Best 22 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

I like you summation of Van Unen fishardansin, just think he is in a similar vain to the Geelong backs of those glory years (Tom Harley, Corey Enright, Andrew Mackie, Darren Milburn) as 190cm+ defenders who can play tall or small, uses it well and are strong overhead.

Hence why I would love to see Van Unen pushing Baguley out of the side who is very limited in what he can do. (see Mark Lecras, see Eddie Betts)

He does the dinky little kicking and short steps in his running. However, I think Pears is the man for that.

Last year our forward line was a debacle. There seemed to be very little structure and no plan B when things weren't working, which was often. Hurley didn't fire consistently (and got injured lots), Crameri, while inconsistent, was our best forward, obviously gone now. Bellchambers showed a bit but not consistently. I am glad that Matty Egan is out of the forward line, I just hope he is better suited to defence and we do not see our backline go backwards. Such a shame to lose Wellman as arguably our most improved players last year were all under him - Hibberd, Hooker and Carlisle. Dempsey and Baguely also improved notably. Hopefully Egan can follow what Wellman started.

A major reshuffle is going to happen with the forward line which was necessary. I am excited to see what Bassett brings to the table. OUT: Egan, with Crameri, Hurley, Davey IN: Bassett, with Carlisle, Daniher, Chapman... with Bellchambers spending more time forward.

I think Bellchambers playing more forward with Ryder doing most the rucking is a good thing. Bellchambers is still young and showed plenty last year as a forward. Depending on match ups, Ryder could occasionally be the man spending longer periods forwards. My concern is a leg speed. With Ryder rucking, Bellchambers, Daniher and Carlisle seems like it could be one big slow man too many to me. I think if we go all three forward one of these guys will get subbed out every game to inject speed, barring injury.

What if Daniher comes on better than we think and is able to pinch hit 15 - 20% of the games? I don't think he is ready but when that time comes, what happens to Bellchambers? Can people see a long time successful forward line of both Belly and Daniher, as well as Carlisle (or Hurley)? I want to see it work but need convincing.

Best 22 to begin with:
B. Baguely Hurley Fletcher
HB. Hibberd, Hooker, Dempsey
C. Goddard Watson Melksham
HF Zaka Carlisle Chapman
F. Winderlich Bellchambers Daniher
R. Ryder, Heppell, Stanton
I. Myers, Howlett, Hocking SUB: Kommer

Hopefully guys like J.Merrett, Browne, Kavanagh, Colyer, S.Edwards put pressure on early.

If the big guys aren't working:
OPTION 1: Drop one of Bellchamber or Daniher, probably Daniher. But we want to develop him.
OPTION 2: If the above two are playing well as forwards, send Carlisle back to join Hurley and Hooker, Fletcher out.

Ah, I just hope they can make it work!

Think you have hit the nail on the head. I like JD in the ruck because he has shown that he can find the ball around the ground, displays good vision and his hands are excellent.

Think you have hit the nail on the head. I like JD in the ruck because he has shown that he can find the ball around the ground, displays good vision and his hands are excellent.
I can't see JD going into the ruck. The only reason he would do so is if we have decided to drop TBC, and that would be a bit of a failure of our long term plans. One of my main concerns next season is that TBC is one of those to really go to the next level as a forward. I think we need to him to be a KPF who does 25% of the ruck work. If he can make that step alongside JD justifying his place in the team, then we have our tall forward structure without Hurley or Carlisle. If that were to come about in 2014, the CHF position could be shared around so that everyone's work load was managed.
TBC has shown a growing tendency to develop as a forward more than a ruck, and because this fits neatly into our future requirements we need to really run with it. As long as his rucking work remains limited to a backup role, there is no problem with work load. For those suggesting we would lack marking power without Carlisle, i say bollix. With TBC, JD, Licka, resting mid such as Watson or BJ, the nous of Chappy, it all adds up to massive potency without being too tall or slow. How you position them best within a structure I'll leave to the forward line coach.
I think this is the future of our forward line and it just remains to be seen how long it takes for JD and TBC to become dominant enough to make it happen.

B: 12. Mark Baguley, 18. Michael Hurley, 31. Dustin Fletcher
HB: 1. Michael Hibberd, 26. Cale Hooker, 15. Courtenay Dempsey
C: 5. Brent Stanton, 9. Brendon Goddard, 11. David Zaharakis
HF: 8. Jason Winderlich, 22. Jake Carlisle, 3. Paul Chapman
F: 38. Nick Kommer, 6. Joe Daniher, 2. Tom Bellchambers
R: 30. Patrick Ryder, 4. Jobe Watson, 21. Dyson Heppell
I/C: 23. David Myers, 40. Ben Howlett, 17. Jake Melksham
Sub: 32. Travis Colyer
Emg: 39. Heath Hocking, 28. Elliott Kavanagh, 19. Shaun Edwards...

*waits for people to question Hocking omission*

What are the reasons we would go with him over Hocking as the tagger? Nothing really sticks out to me.

Well don't leave us hanging....

^^ Who do you have as the tagger if no Hocking?

Dont always need a tagger. Hawthorn have done quite well without one. Shiels/Lewis at times but nothing too hard. Geelong and collingwood also done fine without one.

If i was coach id pick a tagger every week. but some evidence to suggest it isnt mandatory.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is this about that rubbish article in the Age that also said that Whiley beat Heppell when Heppell got 3 votes against GWS?

I want Paddy to play more forward than ruck this year. TBell can take a grab up forward but that should be about a change, putting the big man in the square and kicking long. However, the only thing that has held Paddy back up forward is his attitude. Surely he's grown out of that now! He is lightening quick, has unbelievable hands when marking and below his knees and can kick long and do any sort of Stevey J you want. He's also 196cm!! TBell is the big body guy who can grind away on the opposition ruckman all game and Paddy can go for a run and jump over a tiring Goldy or smash the 2nd ruck. Give Hurley one more year in the power forward role he's spent 3 years developing. I'm really keen to bring O'Brien in as the defensive/lead up forward too.

Still going with:

HF: Winderlich Hurley O'Brien
FF:Chapman Ryder Midfielder.

It is the choice of mid that allows the forwardline style to change. Watson or Jetta/Colyer will allow it to set up very differently.

I want Paddy to play more forward than ruck this year. TBell can take a grab up forward but that should be about a change, putting the big man in the square and kicking long. However, the only thing that has held Paddy back up forward is his attitude. Surely he's grown out of that now! He is lightening quick, has unbelievable hands when marking and below his knees and can kick long and do any sort of Stevey J you want. He's also 196cm!! TBell is the big body guy who can grind away on the opposition ruckman all game and Paddy can go for a run and jump over a tiring Goldy or smash the 2nd ruck. Give Hurley one more year in the power forward role he's spent 3 years developing. I'm really keen to bring O'Brien in as the defensive/lead up forward too.

Still going with:

HF: Winderlich Hurley O'Brien
FF:Chapman Ryder Midfielder.

It is the choice of mid that allows the forwardline style to change. Watson or Jetta/Colyer will allow it to set up very differently.
Tbc would have to take a leap forward as a ruck. I think most people would want to see Ryder in the forward line, but it just doesn't seem to be the way things are panning out.
I'd love to see Ryder take a step forward with his around the ground play. Remember that Anzac day where he ignited the come back with his run through the middle? He should be a midfield force but it doesn't quite happen that way.

I keep looking at the best 22 - and variations of it as us supporters and coaches all have different opinions as to how we will line up, and after all its a pretty fluid thing the best 22 depending on form/injuries/opposition etc BUT, whichever way you look at it our list is looking in bloody good shape!

My best 22 is something like;-

Fletch Hurley Baguley
Hibberd Hooker Dempsey
Stanton Heppell/Myers Zakka
Chapman Carlisle Melksham
Goddard/Watson TBC Winders

Ryder Goddard/Watson Hocking

Bench from: Heppell/Myers Merrett Dalgleish
SUB Colyer

Others: Howlett Daniher Pears
Kommer Jetta Hardingham
Kavanagh Edwards N.O'Brien

I think what is great is that the 'Others' are all pretty damn good depth players and we have ample back-up if we lose a few guys (as always happens) throughout the year with injury. We really are in great shape cant wait for the season to start and its less than a month until NAB challenge games ;)

Others: Howlett Daniher Pears
Kommer Jetta Hardingham
Kavanagh Edwards N.O'Brien

I think what is great is that the 'Others' are all pretty damn good depth players and we have ample back-up if we lose a few guys (as always happens) throughout the year with injury. We really are in great shape cant wait for the season to start and its less than a month until NAB challenge games ;)

The guys in bold probably dont throw fear into the opposition but have shown quality at AFL level, the underlined guys have shown some potential at AFL level. The three others have shown 3/4 of SFA to even be considered depth at this stage. (rough on Jetta but he is so far down the pecking order it seems it aint funny).

Im confident that if Jetta played 20 odd games as a deep small forward like he has in the past hed kick at least 20-25 goals.

Which i dont think im confident in Kommer, Dell, Merrett doing the same. Hes also got the ability to set up far more than these guys. Its just whether he creates a big enough difference in goals to what they can offer in defensive pressure.

I also find it amazing that people would say guys like Kommer and Kav have shown more at AFL level compared to that of Jetta. His 2 years as a small forward were actually quite good and considering we lack so much in the area it goes alright. Compared to any other teams its pretty shit/avg. They then tried to turn him into a midfielder who has not got an engine or potential tank anywhere near capable of becoming a midfielder and no longer does he need to be one. He will impact the lineup as a small forward not a midfielder whether thats his best position im not sure.

Its just when they tried to turn him into a midfielder we severely lacked depth and quality. Since then Zacka has transitioned as expected. Myers has finally had a preseason and developed as we expected before. Howlett has become a true foot soldier, Hocking got back to his best form in tagging. We picked up Goddard and Chapman and Heppell became a quality player from the get go and it transitioned into quality midfield work. There is now no longer need for him to be a midfielder.Add to that Stanton took his game to another level and Jobe won a brownlow.

He will never have the engine or the weight/size to do any damage over a consistent period of time there. He can however kick 20-30 goals as a small forward and hand many off to guys in better positions. I hold hope that Merrett can develop quickly and give what Jetta can give in goals but much more in pressure and defense but im not sure that will happen in the first 10 rounds more latter in the year.

I agree Keystone agony, and think some people are being a little harsh on Jetta. Hes not a midfielder, and while his form has been a little down it might only be a confidence thing, and that could quickly return if hes played as a small forward off the bench or as a SUB if required.

Remove this Banner Ad

Best 22 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Back