Preview Best 22 in 2012 (minus draftees)

Remove this Banner Ad

B: Silvagni, Dawson, Broughton
HB: Hill, McPharlin, Ibbo
M: Suban, Barlow, Morabito
HF: Duffield, Pav, Fyfe
F: Balla, Clarke, Mayne
R: Sandilands, Mundy, DeBoer

B: Lower, Mzungu, Pitt
Sub: McPhee (Util)

Grover/Faulks are depth for Dawson, Silvagni, McPharlin
Roberton/Forster are depth for Hill/Ibbo
Crichton/Michie/JVB/Thomas/Neale/Sutcliffe are midfield depth
Walters/Mellington are depth for Balla, Mayne
Crowley/Crozier are depth for Duffield/Fyfe
Griff/Keplar/MJ/Jack are depth for KPF/Ruck

B: Silvagni, Dawson, Broughton
HB: Hill, McPharlin, Ibbo
M: Suban, Barlow, Morabito
HF: Duffield, Pav, Fyfe
F: Balla, Clarke, Mayne
R: Sandilands, Mundy, DeBoer

B: Lower, Mzungu, Pitt
Sub: McPhee (Util)

Grover/Faulks are depth for Dawson, Silvagni, McPharlin
Roberton/Forster are depth for Hill/Ibbo
Crichton/Michie/JVB/Thomas/Neale/Sutcliffe are midfield depth
Walters/Mellington are depth for Balla, Mayne
Crowley/Crozier are depth for Duffield/Fyfe
Griff/Keplar/MJ/Jack are depth for KPF/Ruck

Picard-Approves.jpg

Why Anthony ahead of Bradly. Bradly kicks goals, Anthony couldn't even get a touch when he played forward.
Agree.
I would like to see Anthony play but as a back. He played well down back towards the end of the season. I can remember he chopped up Daws in one game.
But I can't see him playing back, especially with Dawson coming in. Needs to show more then others to claim a spot at either end or he will stay depth...

Hopefully good. I'd have

FF: Ballan; Pav ; walters
HF: Fyfe; Clarke ; Bradley
C: Morabito; Barlow; Hill
HB: Faulks; McPharlin; Mzungu
B: Broughton ; Silvagni; Dawson
RR: Sandi; Mundy; MDB
I: Lower, Suban , Ibbo
Bench: Mayne
Next in line: Grover, Mcphee, Crowley, Griffin, rookies, Roberton

Would like to see MDB doing the hard rough work getting the ball out of the centre next year (instead of Pav) and feeding Mundy, Barlow, Mora and Hill. Not sure why many people want him in the forward pocket when he can't kick goals from 10 m in front. Rather have the goal kickers and crumbers in Ballan and Walters applying forward pressure/tackles, especially with the height of the other forwards. Sandi to rest at FF/Pav to CHF.

Hopefully good. I'd have

FF: Ballan; Pav ; walters
HF: Fyfe; Clarke ; Bradley
C: Morabito; Barlow; Hill
RR: Sandi; Mundy; MDB
I: Lower, Suban , Ibbo
Bench: Mayne
Next in line: Grover, Mcphee, Crowley, Griffin, rookies, Roberton

Would like to see MDB doing the hard rough work getting the ball out of the centre next year (instead of Pav) and feeding Mundy, Barlow, Mora and Hill. Not sure why many people want him in the forward pocket when he can't kick goals from 10 m in front. Rather have the goal kickers and crumbers in Ballan and Walters applying forward pressure/tackles, especially with the height of the other forwards. Sandi to rest at FF/Pav to CHF.

Woops, forgot Pitt. I think he will be much better next year with increased size and experience. I don't think Lyon will put up with poor skills and disposals that previous Dockers coaches did/had too. Pitt fits into the mould of the new breed highly skilled Docker e.g. Pav, Mundy, Barlow, Mzungu, McPharlin, Broughton, Fyfe, Morabito (not in any particular order). Since Lower will be out for a couple of weeks, they should use McPhee as a tagger against the first few top four teams that we have to play.

The backline looks too big with 4 talls and you have Faulks and Mzungu at half back bringing the ball out of defense? I do like the 3 talls in the forward line

Silvagni Dawson Broughton

Druffield McPharlin Suban

Ibbotson Mundy Fyfe

Morabito Pavlich Mayne

Ballatyne Bradley De Boer

Ruck Sandilands, Barlow, Hill

Int: Grover, Clarke, Lower

Sub: Mzungu

Eme: Johnson, Pitt, McPhee

In the mix: Griffin, Roberton, Michie, Crichton, Mellington

Depth: Anthony, Van Berlo, Walters, Crowley, Faulks

The backline looks too big with 4 talls and you have Faulks and Mzungu at half back bringing the ball out of defense? I do like the 3 talls in the forward line

Yeah, I was thinking about that last night. I usually put suban and broughton at each HBF to bring it out (with Lower rotating through there) but I was really impressed with Mzungu last year through that area. I didn't see him make many errors, he made smart passes and I think he would feed hill or Morabito well to start the run into the fowards. Hill can kick goals and I think he would be wasted if he had to start his run from too far back and he is too slight to defend whereas Mzungu, Lower, and Broughton can.
I will think about it some more.
We think about Faulks and Silvagni as being tall but they are about the same height as our midfielders Barlow, Mundy, Morabito, Crowley. How many talls you take into a game will depend on who you are playing: WC, Geelong more talls, Carlton less talls

Silvagni Dawson Broughton

Druffield McPharlin Suban

Ibbotson Mundy Fyfe

Morabito Pavlich Mayne

Ballatyne Bradley De Boer

Ruck Sandilands, Barlow, Hill

Int: Grover, Clarke, Lower

Sub: Mzungu

Eme: Johnson, Pitt, McPhee

In the mix: Griffin, Roberton, Michie, Crichton, Mellington

Depth: Anthony, Van Berlo, Walters, Crowley, Faulks

I like this a lot. In reality it's unlikely that McPhee won't play, although one wonders at the expense of who? It will be very interesting to see if Johnson is still a walk up start under Lyon.

PS your ressies team is pretty handy too!

Right, did a quick flip through the history so excuse me if I am repeating others' sentiments.

FF: Mayne Bradley Ballantyne

JA probably deserves a go at FF but, hell, so does Kepler. He was going great guns until he was dropped and I think his extra height makes him a dangerous stay at home forward option. also, his tackling is improving.

Mayne is your third tall option, Ballantyne your crumber, with both providing that lock in forward pressure that is so vital to the modern game

HF: Johnson Pavlich Fyfe

All true half forwards. Capable of a good mark, agile, and clean at delivering to forwards or to goals. Pav does what Pav does - takes three defenders, runs them around the ground, and slams goals from 60 metres. Fyfe is your linking half forward, providing a marking option between half back and the forwards - The hird style forward. Johnson is just so creative at setting up play and if Lyon can get him to perform at his best on a weekly basis then he can be a star.

C: Hill Mundy Morabito
RR: Sandilands Barlow DeBoer

Sandilands, Mundy, Barlow, DeBoer were the benchmark for centre clearances at the beginning of 2010. Sandilands gets first touch, deBoer blocks, Barlow creates, Mundy runs and delivers. This is a premiership midfield. Crowley/Lower is worth subbing in for DeBoer so that one man doesnt cop ALL the hits.

Hill and Morabito are natural wingers. They run, they carry, then they bomb the bloody thing a mile. Hill has the added bonus that he is creative, Mora has the added bonus of pack crashing.

HB: Mcphee McPharlin Broughton

Every backline needs a punching bag and Mcphee is it. The anvil, as it were. McPharlin is the competitions most dangerous Centre half back, and Broughton is worth his weight in gold. Little more need be said.

FB: Mzungu Silvagni Grover

Mzungu fills the roger position. Creative running backman. Big shoes to fill but he showed a lot of poise this year. Silvagni to further his development in to the league's dominant backman. Grover does what Grover does - 3rd tall and gorrillas.

Bench: Crowley Suban Clarke

Crowley/Lower is your spare midfield punching bag. Clarke is your spare ruck/tall forward. Ibbo/Duff/Suban is your spare utility - can play forward, back, or mid.

Sub: Lower

Of those left out, I think he is the most hard done by, so, go on, be the super sub. It's like the "Most improved" trophy - you just have to give the kid something.

Unlucky: Ibbotson, Duffield, Anthony, Dawson, Pitt, Roberton, Walters, Van Berlo, Griffin

Not a lot of height in reserve - Roberton + Dawson down back and Anthony at either end. But it's entirely possible that I've gone far too tall with my first 22, and with Ibbo, Duff and Lower (sort of) left out it wouldn't suprise me to see a shorter line-up: Particularly given Lyon's game plan at the sinners.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Right, did a quick flip through the history so excuse me if I am repeating others' sentiments.

JA probably deserves a go at FF but, hell, so does Kepler. He was going great guns until he was dropped and I think his extra height makes him a dangerous stay at home forward option. also, his tackling is improving.

Mayne is your third tall option, Ballantyne your crumber, with both providing that lock in forward pressure that is so vital to the modern game

All true half forwards. Capable of a good mark, agile, and clean at delivering to forwards or to goals. Pav does what Pav does - takes three defenders, runs them around the ground, and slams goals from 60 metres. Fyfe is your linking half forward, providing a marking option between half back and the forwards - The hird style forward. Johnson is just so creative at setting up play and if Lyon can get him to perform at his best on a weekly basis then he can be a star.

Sandilands, Mundy, Barlow, DeBoer were the benchmark for centre clearances at the beginning of 2010. Sandilands gets first touch, deBoer blocks, Barlow creates, Mundy runs and delivers. This is a premiership midfield. Crowley/Lower is worth subbing in for DeBoer so that one man doesnt cop ALL the hits.

Hill and Morabito are natural wingers. They run, they carry, then they bomb the bloody thing a mile. Hill has the added bonus that he is creative, Mora has the added bonus of pack crashing.

Every backline needs a punching bag and Mcphee is it. The anvil, as it were. McPharlin is the competitions most dangerous Centre half back, and Broughton is worth his weight in gold. Little more need be said.

Mzungu fills the roger position. Creative running backman. Big shoes to fill but he showed a lot of poise this year. Silvagni to further his development in to the league's dominant backman. Grover does what Grover does - 3rd tall and gorrillas.

Crowley/Lower is your spare midfield punching bag. Clarke is your spare ruck/tall forward. Ibbo/Duff/Suban is your spare utility - can play forward, back, or mid.

Of those left out, I think he is the most hard done by, so, go on, be the super sub. It's like the "Most improved" trophy - you just have to give the kid something.

Unlucky: Ibbotson, Duffield, Anthony, Dawson, Pitt, Roberton, Walters, Van Berlo, Griffin

Not a lot of height in reserve - Roberton + Dawson down back and Anthony at either end. But it's entirely possible that I've gone far too tall with my first 22, and with Ibbo, Duff and Lower (sort of) left out it wouldn't suprise me to see a shorter line-up: Particularly given Lyon's game plan at the sinners.

good thing about democracy is that we can all have an opinion. personally id be filthy if we lined up like that.

firstly, Michael Johnson hopefully should never play again, if he does it is as a sub and in the forwardline

secondly- mzungu, whilst he runs well, he doesnt have the skills to play a back pocket role, i like the idea of him as a run with player as he is super fit, agile, fast and wont have to kick the ball as much, in the backline his kicking could cost us.

grover, i think his name wont find its way on to the team board often next year. dawson is a good stopper, is younger and quicker than him and should easily overtake groves, who has been a great servant of the club.

bradley- 50/50 as to whether he will take the FF role, id say it would be between he and jack

morabito- cant see him having much impact before round 13 next year. think he will start on the bench

I think duffield, dawson and ibbotson will certainly be in the 22. Pitt and roberton not far away... with walters, van berlo not playing at all. griffin will be the interesting one, i reckon he will only play a couple of times as i think sandi will play the majority of next year

Agree 100% with your centre/RR, but not convinced about Mayne. I found in the last couple of seasons he would run himself ragged tackling and by the second half, last quarter, would often miss goals probably through sheer fatigue. I would like to see what happens when Mayne is played as a sub i.e. huge forward pressure in the 4th and not too tired to split the posts.
I would also like to see Pav rotate between CHF and FF. It's harder to have two or three defenders hanging off him at FF and leave the top of the 50 free. ALso, then he can pack mark from behind or lead and mark within 50 which is a closer shot to goal than the current bomb from 60.

fair points, KPR.
Dawson could be a good long term replacement for Groves, and it can only be a plus to have the two putting pressure on each other.

I hear you on Mzungu, but with the runners we have in the middle I'm just not sure he's needed there. Plus we do really need a rebounding defender. Duffield (when in form) and Broughton are ace at setting up play but they don't have the flair of a Roger Hayden. I would hope that Mzungu could step up to that.

Kepler and JA is another Groves/Dawson situation. It's a toss up for me, but i like the idea of the two applying pressure on the others position in the team.

Ibbotson probably steps in easily for Mora, with Mzungu up to the wing and Ibbo down back - but gee I'm keen to see Mora at his best again.

Ahhhh, the divisive Johnson. I love his upside, but you may be right that his time is up. You seem to have a bias for consistancy over magic, KPR.

I'd like to see Duffield lining up week in, week out, but for some reason I just couldn't squeeze him in to the 22. I suppose dumping Johno clears a hole.

Big animal, agree about Mayne. He's had a few pre-seasons now so you'd think he should have the tank to run it out. But with balla and DeBoer both pushing in to the midfield there needs to be someone locking that ball up forward. The super sub is probably more useful for an extra runner, so Mayne might need to up his fitness or pace himself better.

I really like this team, but I would make a couple changes down back

Have to agree with KPR and cant see Mzungu playing back pocket, would rather him coming off the bench and playing a midfield role. Remember that goal running out of the centre square against the Saints? Love to see a bit more of that in 2012. Not a good enough kick. Would have Suban playing BP with some midfield stints.

Swap Dawson for Grover

Love to see Duffield return to 2010 form on the HBF or BP. Mcphee would go to the bench and Crowley wouldnt make my best 22. Not sure what he really offers these days

My team

FF Mayne Bradley Balla
HF Fyfe Pav Johnson
C Hill Barlow Mora
HB Duffield McPharlin Broughton
BP Suban Silvani Dawson
R Sandi Mundy DeBoer
Bench Mcphee Clarke Mzungu Lower

Third tall? Pretty sure Mayne is the second smallest player in that forward line.

Third tall? Pretty sure Mayne is the second smallest player in that forward line.

He plays tall.
Big leap in packs and suited for the lead to space in the pockets where he is a better kick for goal. Mayne was shocking directly in front this year but got most of his 25 goals from open play or snap shots from the pockets.

He plays tall.
Big leap in packs and suited for the lead to space in the pockets where he is a better kick for goal. Mayne was shocking directly in front this year but got most of his 25 goals from open play or snap shots from the pockets.

I'm not saying he is a small. I am saying a forward line where he is the 2nd smallest player is way toooo tall.

Be nice to have a small, pacy player to swing through that forward line. Could that be Mellington? Maybe not quick enough and not particularly small at that. As Dick is unlikely this season my preference would be Gilligan. Kicked 30.9 at Claremont this year.

I'm sure I would have forgotten someone, usually it's someone really obvious, but here goes...

Silvagni - Dawson - Forster
Broughton - McPharlin - Mzungu
Hill - Mundy - Crowley
Ballantyne - Mayne - Fyfe
Anthony - Pavlich - Walters

r: Sandilands - Barlow - Lower

i: Ibbotson - Clarke - DeBoer

s: Morabito

e: Suban - Grover - McPhee

I find it unlikely that McPhee would miss, and would probably play ahead of Forster. But I just think the young kid will really surprise a lot of people. If he lines up, he'll be the best kick we've had in the back half for a long time.

Other than that, Grover will be the interesting one. I wonder whether we might try all four tall defenders at some stage, throw up some different match ups with guys like Dawson and McPharlin lining up on the medium forwards. I wouldn't mind it.

Ahhhh, the divisive Johnson. I love his upside, but you may be right that his time is up. You seem to have a bias for consistancy over magic, KPR.

quote]

lol given our history, hell yeah id like a bit of consistency lol.... and given johnsons history, he inconsistently produces magic. the guy has become a bad punchline, i would have liked him to have been delisted, however given the new coaching situation i would have thought a one year deal to prove himself under ross would have been fair.... but two years??!?!?!?!?

ahhh, its getting me angry again

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Best 22 in 2012 (minus draftees)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back