Opinion Best 22 in 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

He looks ok, still would prefer not to see him in the side because if we do then you just know there is a few injuries or very poor form by some.

I don't mind giving a few kids a shot in 2011 style youth policy, I think he fits a niche that we'll need soon. Offensively he looked very good.

I don't mind giving a few kids a shot in 2011 style youth policy, I think he fits a niche that we'll need soon. Offensively he looked very good.
He certainly looks like he has a nice leg and decent penetrating movement.

If we can blood kids and still lock in a top 4 then I’m all for giving them a go against some gimme sides.

We take for granted finishing in a good ladder position though I think... we just do it so often that we think we can just tinker around and still make it (because we do).

The more young kids stepping up the better I guess.

I'm with you on this. I see him getting senior games before they're supposedly 'deserved', and believe he could really have some impact early with his quality ball use.

B: OConnor De Koning ZGuthrie
HB: Stewart Kolo Tuohy
C: Smith Holmes Duncan
HF: OHenry Cameron Simpson
F: Stengle Hawkins Close
R: Stanley Dangerfield CGuthrie
I: Blicavs Atkins JHenry Bews
E: Miers Rohan Parfitt Bowes

If Miers is in the 22, then someone has to miss out
Tuohy's poor form with MOC as a potential replacement has his spot in jeapordy. I don't see both of them and Bews fitting. Especially once J.Henry takes a back pocket.

Simpson is doing well but will likely be squeezed out. Likewise for O.Henry if Rohan is available. He'd be the perfect sub.

Rohan and Miers won't be dropped and nor should they.

Last edited:
Tuohy's poor form with MOC as a potential replacement has his spot in jeapordy. I don't see both of them and Bews fitting. Especially once J.Henry takes a back pocket.

Simpson is doing well but will likely be squeezed out. Likewise for O.Henry if Rohan is available. He'd be the perfect sub.

Rohan and Miers won't be dropped and nor should they.

Simpson is doing well!

Simpson is doing well!
Just like I said.

But would he be picked ahead of Miers if it came down to it? No. He's competing with forwards in our full strength team and there is only room for 7.

Hawkins
Cameron
Close
Miers
Stengle
Rohan
O.Henry

Potentially it comes down to Simpson Vs Henry. Anyone thinking Rohan or Miers will be dropped doesn't understand our team.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's not that simple.
23 does not fit into 22, and you haven't nominated which of the 21 other players in my team who would miss out.
Swipe Up GIF

For me on current form MOC pushes Tuohy or Bews out.
As a utility type I can’t believe I’m saying it but yes I’d have MOC ahead of Touhy on form.

As a pure small stopper I’d keep Bews.

Definitely nice for the future that MOC, the youngest of them all is playing well.

A few of strong overhead grabs of late has added another string to his bow.

Just like I said.

But would he be picked ahead of Miers if it came down to it? No. He's competing with forwards in our full strength team and there is only room for 7.

Hawkins
Cameron
Close
Miers
Stengle
Rohan
O.Henry

Potentially it comes down to Simpson Vs Henry. Anyone thinking Rohan or Miers will be dropped doesn't understand our team.

Simpson is a tough guy player, very different type to Miers or Ollie Henry who's more a marking type player, Rohan type. Simpson is just an opportunistic tough guy, that's his style imo.

Simpson is a tough guy player, very different type to Miers or Ollie Henry who's more a marking type player, Rohan type. Simpson is just an opportunistic tough guy, that's his style imo.
All valid points but ultimately at the moment he's squeezed in as a goal threat and is also competing against the half forward link players. So they remain his competition. E.g Stengle is more likely to come in for a Simpson or O.Henry type than a MOC or Atkins. We have picked 7 forwards for the 12 years Scott has been coach so if Simpson is selected then one of the 7 has to go. I'm a big Simpson fan by the way.

All valid points but ultimately at the moment he's squeezed in as a goal threat and is also competing against the half forward link players. So they remain his competition. E.g Stengle is more likely to come in for a Simpson or O.Henry type than a MOC or Atkins. We have picked 7 forwards for the 12 years Scott has been coach so if Simpson is selected then one of the 7 has to go. I'm a big Simpson fan by the way.

I don't disagree with you, just saying if you want a hard type who'll go at it always 100% he's one to remember, especially now he's moved on from injury issues that plagued him in the past....but he was much smaller then, not any more.

B: OConnor De Koning ZGuthrie
HB: Stewart Kolo Tuohy
C: Smith Holmes Duncan
HF: OHenry Cameron Simpson
F: Stengle Hawkins Close
R: Stanley Dangerfield CGuthrie
I: Blicavs Atkins JHenry Bews
E: Miers Rohan Parfitt Bowes
I think Meirs plays before Simpson and Rohan plays ahead of O Henry. There is also a fair chance that by the time J Henry is ready to resume Esava will be a lock best 22. He gives us a presence down back that no one else can. May mean Tuohy misses out as both Kolo and J Henry can play tall or small

As a utility type I can’t believe I’m saying it but yes I’d have MOC ahead of Touhy on form.

As a pure small stopper I’d keep Bews.

Definitely nice for the future that MOC, the youngest of them all is playing well.

A few of strong overhead grabs of late has added another string to his bow.
That's why if everyone is available I could see one of Tuohy or Bews being our unlucky 2011 Milburn type. I thought Bews bounced back and showed some nice stopping/contested power yesterday. Probably has more of a burst of pace too. Tuohy may even be competing with someone like Duncan come finals. Duncan still has his class.
I think Meirs plays before Simpson and Rohan plays ahead of O Henry. There is also a fair chance that by the time J Henry is ready to resume Esava will be a lock best 22. He gives us a presence down back that no one else can. May mean Tuohy misses out as both Kolo and J Henry can play tall or small
Agreed. O.Henry's form and endeavour certainly means Rohan has to perform, but it is still Rohan's spot if all are available. Ollie would be sub at worst though.

Tuohy this year may be turning into Menegola last year. Good depth. And I say that as one of his biggest backers over the years.

People still dropping O Henry

Season 9 Lol GIF by The Office

Well how do you fit in him ?

There is no way known he is better than Gary Rohan

If Geel get all their injured players back and playing well - comes finals time - the best O Henry will get is sub - but there will be a couple of others he will have to beat for that spot - like Simpson

O Henrys lack of leg speed and lack of defensive pressure ie - attacking opposition backman can run off him - would be a huge concern come finals time - and in my opinion would be exploited

At best - the Sub position and that is it

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Best 22 in 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Back