Opinion Best 22 in 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Well how do you fit in him ?

There is no way known he is better than Gary Rohan

If Geel get all their injured players back and playing well - comes finals time - the best O Henry will get is sub - but there will be a couple of others he will have to beat for that spot - like Simpson

O Henrys lack of leg speed and lack of defensive pressure ie - attacking opposition backman can run off him - would be a huge concern come finals time - and in my opinion would be exploited

At best - the Sub position and that is it
Hahahahaha. Was going to respond seriously until “lack of leg speed”. Hahahahahahahaha.

Well you can ha ha - all you like

Name the Geelong players you are going to pick O Henry in front of

Then we will get some real ha ha
Averaging 1.6 goals a game. He’s not getting dropped.

I can see Jack ultimately coming back into the side at the expense of Ollie. Not necessarily to play forward but those last few spots CS will want versatile players that add value tactically. Guys like MOC and Tuohy will stay in the team for that reason. I don't see Ollie's "tricks" at this stage being enough to override the lack of tactical value given his defensive deficiencies, at least in a theoretical world where everyone is fit, which let's face it probably won't be a reality anyway.

It's not that simple.
23 does not fit into 22, and you haven't nominated which of the 21 other players in my team who would miss out.

Based on form this season, that last spot in the forward line may come down to Simpson versus Stengle

Simpson is going at 2 goals per game, while Stengle looks a little down on last years form & is going at just 1 goal per game in comparison, including 2 goalless games

Miers may well be sitting top 3 in our B&F - he won't be the one making way when others return

I agree though. It's such a cop out to not actually name the 22 and who misses. You have to give us something: Rohan will be dropped, or something.
I don’t have to do anything.

If O.Henry is picked for finals and we have everyone available, dropping Tuohy may be how it gets done. This is on the assumption that J.Henry replaces Sav (option A), which is not too apparent anyway.

B: Bews De Koning JHenry
HB: Stewart Kolo ZGuthrie
C: Smith Blicavs Holmes
HF: Close Cameron Miers
F: Stengle Hawkins OHenry
R: Stanley Dangerfield CGuthrie
I: Duncan Atkins O'Connor Rohan Bowes(sub)

If Sav is in the team (option B), then Rohan or O.Henry as sub and Bowes dropped to emergency.
catempire there I've done your homework for you. Multiple choice, pick option A or B.

Based on form this season, that last spot in the forward line may come down to Simpson versus Stengle

Simpson is going at 2 goals per game, while Stengle looks a little down on last years form & is going at just 1 goal per game in comparison, including 2 goalless games

Miers may well be sitting top 3 in our B&F - he won't be the one making way when others return
I still can't see them dropping Stengle unless he had a run of 5 plus games when he returned and was seriously poor.

If O.Henry is picked for finals and we have everyone available, dropping Tuohy may be how it gets done. This is on the assumption that J.Henry replaces Sav (option A), which is not too apparent anyway.

B: Bews De Koning JHenry
HB: Stewart Kolo ZGuthrie
C: Smith Blicavs Holmes
HF: Close Cameron Miers
F: Stengle Hawkins OHenry
R: Stanley Dangerfield CGuthrie
I: Duncan Atkins O'Connor Rohan Bowes(sub)

If Sav is in the team (option B), then Rohan or O.Henry as sub and Bowes dropped to emergency.
catempire there I've done your homework for you. Multiple choice, pick option A or B.
You’re close but I choose neither.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree though. It's such a cop out to not actually name the 22 and who misses. You have to give us something: Rohan will be dropped, or something.
Best 23 now maybe not best 23 leading into finals because of our strong depth this year which includes many young players. We had five 20 year olds or younger play when defeating Adelaide on Saturday by a reasonable margin in Max Holmes, Oli Henry, Mitch Knevitt, Tanner Bruhn and Oli Dempsey, life is currently exceptionally good being a Cats supporter...... GO CATTERS!

MOC starts, he's best 22 easily

He might be but hes not ahead of miers. We have a few defender options miers is crucial to the gameplan and not replaceable.

Best 23 now maybe not best 23 leading into finals because of our extra-ordinary depth this year which includes many young players. We had five 20 year olds or younger play when defeating Adelaide on Saturday by a reasonable margin in Max Holmes, Oli Henry, Mitch Knevitt, Tanner Bruhn and Oli Dempsey, life is currently exceptionally good being a Cats supporter...... GO CATTERS!
I agree. It's only a good thing. E.g Stengle must perform when he returns because Simpson has done really well in his absence. O.Henry is pushing for Rohan's spot, or if they include both - someone else may have to be squeezed out. MOC's form is a massive red flag for Tuohy's chances but good for the evolution of the team. Even Duncan has to hold good form to keep a guy like Bowes out. Our depth is scary this year. And thank goodness it is.

So there is no Sav.

Does Tuohy appear?

Will MOC retain his spot? Will Bews?

We can piece this together bit by bit.
the set ive got a good feeling about this GIF by Wheel of Fortune

Touhy I think is most vulnerable of the older players and will be the first to go in any selection squeeze.

But I find these discussions a little redundant, there is almost always at least one injury. So it seems a pointless endeavour to limit yourself to 23 only. 25 is the right number to assess if you are a regular I reckon.

In that sense Menegola was very stiff last year, because we only had 1 injury.

On what i see so far
Bowes SDK Zuthrie
Stewart JHenry Kolo
Smith Holmes Blicavs
Close Cameron Miers
Rohan Hawkins Stengle
Stanley Dangerfield Cuthrie
Atkins Duncan OHenry MOC
Emg: Sav Bruhn Tuohy Bews Simpson i think one of these 5 is the sub
Dempsey Parfitt Knevitt and Clark the next rung below that.
Ceglar cover for Stanley

I think Bews and Tuohy are vulnerable for different reasons and might fall out i think one of them misses if Bowes plays (which i think he will)
I worry that CS (who is a massive Sav fan) will put jack henry forward and drop his brother-that would be the only way sav fits in the backline when all are fit imo. But for me sav should stay just outside the best 22 depending on opposition.
For me menegola is best 22 but injuries have ruined that chance i think i doubt he gets back in.
Simpson has been good but he cant get in unless either close or miers are dropped and no way that happens. But he is good backup to have.
At this stage bruhn is borderline best 22 but i can see him working his way into it by the end of the year.
Duncan and Cuthrie are massive worries in terms of how fit they are/playing injured but i doubt MC drops them they have faith in them.

Last edited:
I agree. It's only a good thing. E.g Stengle must perform when he returns because Simpson has done really well in his absence. O.Henry is pushing for Rohan's spot, or if they include both - someone else may have to be squeezed out. MOC's form is a massive red flag for Tuohy's chances but good for the evolution of the team. Even Duncan has to hold good form to keep a guy like Bowes out. Our depth is scary this year. And thank goodness it is.
It's so true in what you say Mr Meow: Stengle's was a little out of sorts before being injured plus a 'little selfish', cannot have that and Simpson is coming on in leaps and bounds, that serious grand final injury really cruelled him. Oli Henry has been such a great get, so young but so talented, will end up as good as his brother and who's to say he doesn't come on even further in second half of year, including the defensive side of his game. MOC has been a big surprise for me, thought he was extra lucky to be in side late last year including finals but did OK in grand final. Two years ago I seen him switch play on the outer wing at MCG and did a 45 metre 'left foot' pass to centre of ground that completely opened play and a goal resulted and I thought to myself at last he's going to take the game on. Then got injured and went back to same conservative self but 2023 has been a revelation, really taking game on and he's so much better for it, almost playing the Collingwood way. Duncan's a slow burn at moment, probably has come back to early and no where near 100% match fit, That play when chasing Rankin on Saturday really highlighted that fact but we all think he'll get back to the fitness levels required, if not then amazingly as you say he is out, such is our current depth. Final analysis Mr Meow: is that all players have to be on top of their game with all cylinders firing, otherwise there will be some one else to take their place.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Best 22 in 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Back