Best Bomber of the Decade

Remove this Banner Ad

loopy_cam

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 11, 2007
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool
Pretty simple really. Who has been the best Bomber from the years 2000-2009. This is not the best player who played in that time, because we all know thats Hirdy, but the player who has given the biggest contribution over these 10 years.

Dustin Fletcher
Years Participated in: 10
Games: 184
Goals: 28
Best and Fairests: 1
Seconds: 2
Thirds: 1
Top 10s: 7
All-Australians: 2

James Hird
Years Participated in: 8
Games: 143
Goals: 137
Best and Fairests: 2
Seconds: 1
Top 10s: 7
All-Australians: 3 (once as captain)

Jason Johnson
Years Participated in: 9
Games: 169
Goals: 107
Top 10s: 6
All-Australians: 1

Matthew Lloyd
Games: 189
Goals: 681
Best and Fairests: 0
Thirds: 0
Top 10s: 5
All-Australians: 3

Scott Lucas
Games: 201
Goals: 380
Seconds: 0
Thirds: 0
Top 10s: 6
All-Australians: 0

They were the guys who I saw as the only candidates with a chance of taking it out.

**Please Note: B&F Statistics are taken from all years except 2002 where I could only find a top 5.**

Also sorry if this has already been done, I did a search and found nothing.

Based predominantly on Sir James' ability to consitantly turn games in our favour he gets my vote however both Fletch and Lloyd could have easily taken the honour. Lloyd was simply awsome in the early part of the decade. Fletch has also been consistantly excellent & remains to be a very good player.

I'd say either Fletch or Hirdy, based on contribution. They've been vital in every year they've played 00-09. Of course Hird's irreplaceable, and I think Fletch probably is too, seeing as he's one-of-a-kind in his combo of technique, athleticism, brain and snowball of experience that has been huge for years now.

And anyone who brings up the "Actually, the decade doesn't end for another year" argument will get a broken face, even if you are technically right. I will hack into BF and give you a black card with a skull and crossbones on it.

It all turns on your definition of "best".

• Most sublime footballer: Hird, daylight second
  • Most often able to turn a game by individual effort: Hird
  • Most reliable: Fletcher, hon. mention LLoyd for kicking accuracy

voted for hirdy, thought i might put my best 22 forward

D.Solomon, D.Fletcher, A.Ramanauskas
D.Pevrill, S.Wellman, A.Welsh
J.Blumfield, J.Hird, J.Watson
B.Caracella,S.Lucas,M.Mcveigh
M.Johnson, M.Lloyd, M.Mecuri
Foll D.Hille,J.Johnson,J.Misiti
Int - S.Allesio, D.Rioli, P.Ryder,B.Stanton

Fletcher - pretty striaght forward to me.

He is the biggest freak along with Hird I have seen (only saw the end of Maddens career).

10 years of A-Grade footy. Had Hird made the 10 years he would have edged Fletch out, but many would under estimate just how important Fletch has been to our team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whomby's been having a bit of a crack this morning. Seems he realised the futility in taking them on on their own board quite quickly though. Very restrained he was. *proud*
Would you expect any less from your fearless leader?

You hear that Ant & Ben; I'm the man around here. :cool:

Mark Mercuri by a mile....if Hird and Lloyd are taken out of the question..:footy:

Struggled after 2000, IIRC.

'99 was the peak of his career. Was somewhat of passenger in '02-'04.

Correct. Injury and personal tragedy decimated what should have been a much longer and more glorious career.

As deserving as both Fletch and Lloydy are, it's impossible for me to go past the great man James Hird.

Who voted other and what player is that vote for?

voted for hirdy, thought i might put my best 22 forward

D.Solomon, D.Fletcher, A.Ramanauskas
D.Pevrill, S.Wellman, A.Welsh
J.Blumfield, J.Hird, J.Watson
B.Caracella,S.Lucas,M.Mcveigh
M.Johnson, M.Lloyd, M.Mecuri
Foll D.Hille,J.Johnson,J.Misiti
Int - S.Allesio, D.Rioli, P.Ryder,B.Stanton

Deserves its own thread. Was gonna do it myself but someone else can if they want.

Would you expect any less from your fearless leader?

You hear that Ant & Ben; I'm the man around here. :cool:

A real man would sacrifice his Carlolton board access in an attack on mediumsizejackass and his heavy-handedness.

James hird..not only this decade...but ever...comes close anyway..hird is the greatesrt footballer ive seen in my time...in an all over package..

Bombers Faithful,

Not a big poster on here myself personally, more a daily reader...

I voted for James Hird, its a pretty easy decision really when thinking about all the games he has shaped this decade and won of his own boot so to speak, WCE (04 i think), the numerous Anzac games, the GF 2000 are just some of the games that we'll always remember.

Adam Ramanaskus, not as the best player of the Decade, but best Bomber (clubman) surely he has to be high in the voting, he was on the verge of superstardom when he was struck down by cancer (twice) and the knee injury, for him to fight back and play another senior game is just as remarkable as Jason McCartney coming back and playing AFL footy again after Bali 2002 (maybe not as gutsy but Rama did survive Cancer).

Dustin Fletcher can go down as one of our best Full Backs and certainly one of our most consistent players since he made his debut as a 17 yr old way back in our Baby Bombers premiership winning season 1993, even today at 34/35 he is still playing great footy and like a vintage wine, getting better with age!

Scott Lucas, I hope people don't remember his career and judge him on the last 2 years, he was our main focal point when the ball was coming out of our defence and led strongly and marked on the lead time after time after time, when Lloyd was out for the whole year with his hammy injury (02 i think) it was Lucas who stepped up and contributed most of the Bomber goals that year, it was such a sad end to his career after such a brilliant 12/13 seasons playing the best game in the world, I still remember watching the last quarter of the Ess v WCE game in 07, sheeds and hirds last game as Bombers, that last quarter he nearly won us the game and it is something that i'll never forget.

JJ is another player who fought for everything he had and everything he achieved came after very hard work on his behalf, sure he wasn't the quickest player or he didn't have the biggest boot on him, or the best mark but when teams played us they feared him, feared his attack on the ball, feared the impact he could make on opposition if they got in the between him and the footy, he deserves everything he got out of AFL and is another player who deserves to be considered a Bomber great.

There's heaps of other players who deserve paragraphs upon paragraphs written about them that helped shaped a successful early 00's and then also helped build the next wave of Bomber attacks that the AFL is soon to bear witness to..

Carn the Bombers

Bombers Faithful,

JJ is another player who fought for everything he had and everything he achieved came after very hard work on his behalf, sure he wasn't the quickest player or he didn't have the biggest boot on him, or the best mark but when teams played us they feared him, feared his attack on the ball, feared the impact he could make on opposition if they got in the between him and the footy, he deserves everything he got out of AFL and is another player who deserves to be considered a Bomber great.

Yes, totally agree

We all remember that wild game where we came back from 69 points down to steal victory from the clutches of defeat. Remembering Lloyd Kicking 7, Carey kicking 9. Amongst all these 'superstars' was a young Jason Johnson. Kicking 4 goals, having 30+ possesions and setting us up for a deserved victory to show all teams that we are a powerhouse not done with.

Good old times they were.

Remove this Banner Ad

Best Bomber of the Decade

Remove this Banner Ad

Back