Best Midfield Combination...

Remove this Banner Ad

WestCat said:
For the Cats I think you should have put in Riccardi or Ablett instead of Enright.

I think the Catters midfield is right up there, but I think we have the most midfield depth of any team.
who do you have that adds depth??

well its a silly question in a way. brisbane obviously but i rekon sydney have best defensive midfield better than cats cos kirk-best tagger in league (held scott west to 9 touches and he averaged sumthing like 27). in a few years saints will have best cos now with mcgough they got sum more grunt along with ball. i would love 2 say melbourne but we need more hardness at the ball

Snickers said:
st.kilda's midfield because they work harder... ball, hayes had the 2nd and 3rd most tackles in the league, harvey and powell are battlers, and dal runs all day and dominates around the ground

READ: StKilda midfield because I barrack for StKilda

(Note: I did vote Brisbane so you can't accuse me of that much bias)

Removing any bias, Brisbane's is the best midfield. However what is it with Roger James again not being recognised ? With Francou an unknown on his return he's Port's top midfielder. FFS the guy almost single handedly gets Port into the GF.

Port's top 5 : James, Francou, P. Burgoyne, K. Cornes and Cassisi. A great top 4, but missing that fab 5th midfielder Brisbane has - at least at present, which is why they get the nod.

Yze_Magic said:
with your woeful crop of youngsters, you may as well get cryogenically frozen if you want to see any form of success from the Pies

I have at least some form of success from my side, it may have taken 32 years, but at last count, it's 40 years for you and probably just as far away again. St Kilda will beat you to it.

Tell me this, why were at least two of your "guns" holding the club to ransom over their next contract? Could it be that all is not well at......wherever you have based yourself this week?

FuManchu said:
Will Carlton be around by then?

They have become a "small" club lately in comparison to the big Coll/Ess juggernauts
Typical Collingscum well actually at the round 22 game after Carlton defeated your mob the crowd cheering along with the clubs song was a bloody huge the crowd was 60/50 in favour of Carlton.

As for your comment "small" club it wasn't so long ago that Collingwood's crowds were down remember back in pre 1999 days.

Sorry mate, nothing of importance, but your sig should read like this:
"The only thing better than beating Collingwood by ten goals, is beating them by five points." George Harris, 1979.
I think you have the quote and the year wrong.

iameviljez said:
Sorry mate, nothing of importance, but your sig should read like this:
"The only thing better than beating Collingwood by ten goals, is beating them by five points." George Harris, 1979.
I think you have the quote and the year wrong.
Ok thanks mate,
I wasn't alive then so just going by what I have been told what happened so thanks for the correction

True_Blue said:
Typical Collingscum well actually at the round 22 game after Carlton defeated your mob the crowd cheering along with the clubs song was a bloody huge the crowd was 60/50 in favour of Carlton.

As for your comment "small" club it wasn't so long ago that Collingwood's crowds were down remember back in pre 1999 days.

So the crowd was "60/50" in favour of Carlton. Is this the same type of maths Carlton did when trying to work out their salary cap?

That was a true blue :D

True_Blue said:
Ok thanks mate,
I wasn't alive then so just going by what I have been told what happened so thanks for the correction

no probs. Straight after the 79 GF, when the Pies were still fuming over the Harmes Incident, he came straight out and said that, and it was possibly one of the most ********-stirring comments in the history of Footy

(Log in to remove this ad.)

west coast just pips brissy with depth, after the top 5 the eagles have stenglein, braun, waters and butler to back up that lot, in addition to chick and banfield (who dont play midfield that much these days due to age and injury, but if your going to count voss as a midifielder then these guys are too :))

iameviljez said:
no probs. Straight after the 79 GF, when the Pies were still fuming over the Harmes Incident, he came straight out and said that, and it was possibly one of the most ********-stirring comments in the history of Footy
Gee wish I was alive to here it the talkback radio would of been fuming with the filth bitter as and of course Carlton gloating which you would.

What's more hilarious it that at half time the Collingwood CS were taunting the Carlton CS at half time celebrating with Champaign.
How pathetic can you get.

Brisbane is sensational, and they have proven themselves. For some reason though, I chose West Coast. Perhaps all this ridiculous Eagles media attention over here is getting to me ;).

Voted for my own team but at least I have merit. When a Richmond or Carlton supporter vote for there own team then it has to be bias, but if a Brisbane or WC supporter votes for there own team, is that really bias?

Anyway it was always between Brisbane and WC and IMO, we have youth on our side and probably a bit more depth. So that tipped the scales. Plus we have Cuz and Judd :D

theorangeapple said:
lets compare the eagles and brissie side by side:

would u rather Cousins or Voss?

would u rather Judd or Lappin?

would u rather Fletcher or Black?

would u rather Kerr or Power?

would u rather Embley or Akermanis?

This is just a silly comparison; Judd get's compared to perhaps the worst member of that midfield despite the fact that he would beat anyone in it head-to-head, Embley isn't really a midfielder, more of a wing/flanker, and you've left out Tyson Stenglein.

A more realistic comparison would be:

Cousins vs. Voss
Judd vs. Akermanis
Fletcher vs. Black
Stenglein vs. Lappin
Kerr vs. Power

Now, in those matchups:

• Cousins takes Voss because Cousins can still play out an entire season in the midfield, whereas it becomes less and less likely that Voss can, and there really isn't that big a gulf in class or ability between the two.

• Judd takes Akermanis on the "anything you can do, I can do better" factor, because without sounding too harsh to Aker, Judd is basically better than Akermanis in every way while playing a similar game, and he's much younger.

• Fletcher vs. Black is won by Black. I mean, there's obvious statistical references and so forth, but Black's a Brownlow medallist, much younger, and pretty much a little bit better than Fletcher in most ways.

• Lappin takes Stenglein on this one, but only just. Both have terrific defensive sides to their game, and both are most probably very underrated, but I had to go with Nigel Lappin based on the All Australian seasons. Granted, Stenglein is younger, but Lappin's got the runs on the board.

• Kerr takes Power, in my opinion, because in terms of skills, finishing and ball-winning ability, I think they're neck and neck, but Kerr is 3 years younger, and I think he's faster and carries the ball more often. Not to mention, faily or unfairly, Power to some extent has that "Des Headland" cloud that comes with playing in that Brisbane midfield, at least to me. I have yet to be shown definitive proof that without those stars around him he could shine just as bright. No doubt he likely would, but the fact that there's doubt makes me choose Kerr, who I also think is very underrated.

So, that's my assessment of the two midfields, and I think that's a fairer comparison of players, as all are compared with the one they're closest to in talent and style. In that, West Coast take it 3-2, but each of the matchups could go the other way, except perhaps Judd vs. Akermanis.

vinnie_vegas69 said:
Fletcher vs. Black is won by Black. I mean, there's obvious statistical references and so forth, but Black's a Brownlow medallist, much younger, and pretty much a little bit better than Fletcher in most ways.
I think you might find Fletcher is about six months younger than Black.

Mind you, I'm not in any way arguing that Black is a better player than Fletcher, but Fletcher is still pretty damn good.

iameviljez said:
Ling, Corey, Milburn, Mooney, Enright, (last year, Moloney), Koulouriotis, Chapman, S Johnson, D Johnson, Ablett, King, Tenace and Byrnes all spent time on the ball this year.
Doing ok I think, for depth.
Ling:Yes
Corey: Yes
Milburn: He is a defender, couldnt say he adds "depth" to the midfield
Mooney: Is just a hack, and plays ruck very poorly
Enright: He cant even get a game, he played 9 then got dropped
(last year, Moloney): Get over it he's gone
Koulouriotis: Average player who played on the wing
Chapman: Doesnt have the fitness to play a proper midfield role
S Johnson: (just like Chapman)
D Johnson: Is a tagger, he played 17 games and for the whole year had 157 touches
Ablett: Yes, very good player
King: Injury prone ruckman, but is quality when he "gets" in form
Tenace: Quick wingman, didnt play many games, and is scared of doing the hard things at the moment, not a proper midfielder at the moment
Byrnes: He played about 4 games, where he played in the foward line, and i dont think he could be a midfielder, more suited to a foward pocket role, switching to the wing.
Depth.....yeah right.
I think we will just agree to disagree.

Going by Brownlows, lions win.

Although the fab 5 are on the decline, I think the eagles will be the next
dominant midfield of the competition. The saints are also very talented but
a bit soft, I mean when they get hit hard, they tend to get out of the way after a while.

Cheers

Remove this Banner Ad

Best Midfield Combination...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back