Bickley does things Craig could never do

Remove this Banner Ad

credit where credit is due

short term Bick's has got the team back to basics, has removed the schackles, got players playing in their best positions and is prepared to make a move or two on match day

however, let's not read too much into the win loss record in this short period, the recruitment process will determine who is the next Adelaide coach not W/L, this is why the assessment criteria is very specific and perscriptive and does not include W/L

quick wins are great, long term success and sustainability more important

Re: Bicley does things Craig could never do

What has felt different in watching the boys under bicks is that the moves he has made build confidence in winning the game.. not confidence that we should be competitive.

It's not about working hard and persisting and it will come.

It's about giving the team hope and something to inspire a belief in winning the game. Rather than expecting them to be mentally tough enough to produce consistent competitive footy.

Quality assessment. Stop stealing pages of my notebook. ;)

short term Bick's has got the team back to basics, has removed the schackles, got players playing in their best positions and is prepared to make a move or two on match day

however, let's not read too much into the win loss record in this short period, the recruitment process will determine who is the next Adelaide coach not W/L, this is why the assessment criteria is very specific and perscriptive and does not include W/L

Spot on.

Good analysis of the situation, TSR. :)

While Bicks has done nothing wrong so far, we've played 2 teams who were below us on the ladder - 2 teams that were both beaten by Gold Coast. That puts those games in their proper perspective.

Also both of those wins are for the here and now, whereas the important thing for us is that we get a long term coach that can put a quality team together over time that consistently plays good hard winning football with a current and appropriate game plan.

As you say the recruitment process will hopefully uncover the coach best suited to achieve this. Contrary to the pessinists, I think there are some very good candidates out there - it's just a matter of picking the right one for us.

Whether or not Bickley wins a few more games doesn't matter.
Yesterday showed he was different to Craig and has not been tarred with the same brush.

He obviously has his own ideas and is finally allowed to implement them.

Good moves - yes - but we have only beaten Port and the Lions.

Although, thank Christ we have ONE away win.

This week, against an obviously savvy coach with a great list will be the test.

That said, I like what I am seeing.

Funny thread.

People, can we please remember that we scraped through against Brisbane. Yes, Brisbane! And they fell over in the last quarter. It was almost like they had no incentive to win (notwithstanding that tanking doesn't happen).

Seriously, how can we give huge wraps to Bicks for switching Stiffy forward, which is hardly a left field move, and yet ignore our awful skills by foot and poor decision making.

Nothing has changed under Bicks. We're still ordinary. Scotty Thompson carries our midfield. Everyone else is up and down horribly.

It's not possible for Bickley to "fix" our skills and decision making in a fortnight. It is possible for him to make some different moves and attack the game from the coaches box, and that's what he did, and deserves credit for :thumbsu:

I'm a long way from convinced he's the man for the job, but credit should be given where it's due, and Bickley put in a very good performance yesterday that won us the game.

I dont want Bickley to coach us next year. But I really dont know why.

He is one of my favorite players of all time and throughout his playing career seemed an obvious candidate to coach at AFL level.

Can someone please tell me why I dont want hime to coach the AFC?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I dont want Bickley to coach us next year. But I really dont know why.

He is one of my favorite players of all time and throughout his playing career seemed an obvious candidate to coach at AFL level.

Can someone please tell me why I dont want hime to coach the AFC?

Again, I blame Carl. :p Because of his magnificent transcripts, we are all programmed to believe that Bickley was one of Craigs little lap dogs whose only purpose in life was to say yes and laugh at Craig's jokes.

It's because we associate him as being too heavily involved/invested with the previous regime.

It's not just about Craig either, it's about the mentality of the club from the top down.

I can sympathise with the feeling that an outsider is our only hope. It's not necessarily true, but even if Bickley did get the job I'd be disappointed if several other changes around him weren't made.

Re: Bicley does things Craig could never do

That's the main one. Craig I believe only ever won one or at most 2 after trailing at 3 quarter time so it was a massive win for the club.

I just had a look during Craig's time as coach (05-11) we only ever won 2 games after trailing at three quarter time. One of them being Dangerfield's first ever game which was against Essendon in 2009 and against Port in 2007.

Pulling rabbits out the hat, being proactive and matchwinning mid-match coaching was never Craig's forte so i am not surprised that we only won 2 games under Craig when trailing at 3 quarter time.

It's because we associate him as being too heavily involved/invested with the previous regime.

It's not just about Craig either, it's about the mentality of the club from the top down.

I can sympathise with the feeling that an outsider is our only hope. It's not necessarily true, but even if Bickley did get the job I'd be disappointed if several other changes around him weren't made.

for me it's not just what your saying

the critical thing for me is you don't know what you don't know

with this in mind, if Bick's is serious about being a senior coach one day he needs to follow Goody's approach and learn his trade in a new environment and with this he will gain some additional skills and knowledge as a result of working with different football minds

I've been wondering... Could Bickley not share these ideas under Craig? Was Craig THAT set in his ways?

The simple answer to that is yes.

If the rumours are true Viney and Jonas both bore the brunt of questioning Craig's coaching.

Jonas was removed from the box for wanting Massie moved from Franklin and apparently Viney had a falling out with Craig over the midfield zoning, Viney was wanting to move away from our traditional midfield setup and make it more Hawthorn like so Craig threated to take the midfield role away from him.

It was obviously still a problem because before the Port game Campo made a comment that the club now can have a look at how Dangerfield plays in the middle, so I am guessing that the suggestion of Dangerfield playing full time in the middle was not allowed to be asked prior to two weeks ago.

If the rumours are true Viney and Jonas both bore the brunt of questioning Craig's coaching.

Jonas was removed from the box for wanting Massie moved from Franklin and apparently Viney had a falling out with Craig over the midfield zoning, Viney was wanting to move away from our traditional midfield setup and make it more Hawthorn like so Craig threated to take the midfield role away from him.

It was obviously still a problem because before the Port game Campo made a comment that the club now can have a look at how Dangerfield plays in the middle, so I am guessing that the suggestion of Dangerfield playing full time in the middle was not allowed to be asked prior to two weeks ago.

For me there was a moment which spoke volumes (although I may have interpreted it incorrectly) but I think it was in the Crows v Kangaroos game earlier in the year they interviewed Bicks at 1/4 time as he was coming off the ground and they asked if they were going to tag Swallow who was tearing us apart, and his response was they were going to stick with Harvey or whoever we were tagging. What made me take notice was what I perceived to be a long pause before answering - it seemed as if the question was exactly what he wanted to do but had been overruled by Craig. To me it was one of those pauses where you want to say one thing, but instead toe the company line and say something else.

I’m looking forward to seeing how the team performs under a coach who is willing to make moves to see what the players can offer in different positions as and when needed. I’m not expecting miracles against Geelong but I feel excited by the prospect that if we do start losing Bicks might try something to change the result rather than tell the players just to work harder at what they are doing.

It's not possible for Bickley to "fix" our skills and decision making in a fortnight. It is possible for him to make some different moves and attack the game from the coaches box, and that's what he did, and deserves credit for :thumbsu:

I'm a long way from convinced he's the man for the job, but credit should be given where it's due, and Bickley put in a very good performance yesterday that won us the game.

Fair enough. But I believe that credit should not be given where it is not due and the fact of the matter is that we are equally as horrible under Bicks and the only reason the scoreboard has been positive for Bickley is the incompetence of our opposition.

I was happy with the result but very concerned about the way we played yesterday.

I knew Craigy was stubborn, but not to that extent... It's one thing not to listen to an assistant's point of view, but to threaten them or remove them for disagreeing with you is just plain childish. Particularly when in retrospect, both assistants would seem to be in the right.

Once again inciteful analysis above from some very astute students of the game.

The one small issue that hasn't been mentioned is that last week Port were three players down by half time, were only 4 goals down kicking with a wind in the last quarter and we finished too strongly for them.

Yesterday Brisbane lost Patful in the first 5 minutes, restructured their backline and Adcock was hardly sighted in the second half. The other key factor was playing 2 genuine ruckmen. Whilst Ivan did a mixture of good and bad things, by the last quarter Leuenberger was stuffed and Jacobs dominated.

Now if this continues next week and Geelong lose maybe four or five players by quarter time we may knock off Geelong (like we did at this time last season).

I am also surprised about the lack of love for Ricky "Super Sub" Henderson.

Fair enough. But I believe that credit should not be given where it is not due and the fact of the matter is that we are equally as horrible under Bicks and the only reason the scoreboard has been positive for Bickley is the incompetence of our opposition.

I was happy with the result but very concerned about the way we played yesterday.

Perhaps I'm a cynic, but without the freshening of minds that has resulted from the change of coach, and yes, some moves that Bickley made in the box yesterday, I don't reckon the "incompetence of the opposition" would have been enough to carry us over the line.

So far he is not turning out to be a NC light coach. Maybe his time in the media has given him an outside view and bring in some outsiders as assistants for additional skills and knowledge.

Existing assistants Campo looks to be the weakest link but that may of just been NC involvement as we don't look as bad now that some changes have been made.

Our first realistic choice may end up at Melbourne due to stay at home factor if no other coaches fall as well, we are left with Goody and Sanderson as our other main options. Neither one screams out to be picked over Bicks.

Bicks with a experianced 2ic and a forward/kicking coach won't disapoint me too much.

Remove this Banner Ad

Bickley does things Craig could never do

Remove this Banner Ad

Back