Strategy Blair Hartley Project 2015 IV - Trade and Free Agency Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it is true that we were the first club Treloar called to inform, I take that to suggest that we were probably in the box seat for a lot of, if not most of this year, and the Pies had to increase their offer to tempt him away.

Is a problem that we just cant attract a star and every single player battle versus shitpies we get pantsed, from Mason cox, greenwood, adams, , trelor, none chose us, and I believe no chance at flags untill we get more talent,in my 35 years as a member is almost impossible with 18 sides to build premier ship with out stealing a star or two.

Well Trelor was offered more cash, same as Greenwood, same as Adams.

Just on Bennell, I think we would be a great club for him. Managed to turn Dusty around from his wild ways early on. I don't underestimate the clubs faith in Chocco to turn players around, and think he could work wonders with Bennell.

us,hawks and saints leading the race apparently

Where is that from?

Seems to be a lot of unclear rumours about Bennell so far... One report says hawks in the lead and the next says they've back off, heard similar about Essendon. Only things i've seen with us is a few people (Emma Quayle, Foxsports) saying he could be a good get for us and take us close to flag.

Anyway I have long said Bennell and Redden would be a superior offseason to Treloar.

Just because I say we should strongly consider getting Treloar does not mean we need to pay him 750K to get him.

Like I said in another post I do not know who is on what and like most I probably do not agree completely with the valuations of some and many within our own list.

Having said that I think Treloar in particular at this particular time is a very valuable commodity not to be underestimated. He is almost a game changer for list management in terms of the list pecking order for the emerging teams in the next 6 years or so taking into account his age given what has happened in the AFL with GWS and GCS over the last 7 years or so.

I do not want us to over pay for anyone but at the same time some players have merit and command special consideration given other considerations such as the environment within the league.

I am happy for us not to pay 750K but it would be good to get him and if it mean't others got a salary boost so be it.

As I said before IMO, in terms of quality and opportunity cost, I would rather Treloar at 750K than Bennell and Redden at $1million because the 250K cannot be underestimated in getting something else like a Weller or whoever.

750K for Treloar seems cheap compared to Boyd for example

Iam in agreeance that $750 may not be over the top. If as reported the pies have offered a 6 year deal, I dont think they have over paid. In 2 years time we will pay dusty possibly around the $800k mark if things go well but clubs will be circling if he continues with his form and even improves. which means we will pay close to a mill a year for him to stay another say 4 years. That in real terms would be more than AT. With salary cap increases that will happen over the next 6 years we will be able to afford this pus pay more for any of our own that are still around. Delideo if he stays after his contract runs out wont earn any more than he currently is on unless he goes to another club which i doubt. Rance contract basically has him finishing his career unless he changes his mind and with cotch and Jack the end of their contracts will be similar to delideo. What I am saying is our war chest has us in a position to retain our current crop for a number of years and still pay for a player like AT. Do I want the club to pay that plus give up 2 1st round picks not really. Reason being I think they have been very astuate in getting what we need till now. AT is not the only elite player we are looking at. I think if they can improve the list thru other combinations of players then they will do it. My hope would be $650 over 5 years and give GWS the 1st 2 picks and hope GWS convinces AT to Take it. The we must not under estimate is Our list although can always be improved ca not be under estimated with inside improvement from a number of players.
As pointed out we have now made the finals 3 years running with out big name player being bought into the club. Would to get them but I dont want us going back to the bad old days of buying players for the GF for us to fail many years later for over paying. Might sound a bit contradictive from what I said above that $750 over 6 years is cheap. I trust our footy department has their budget in place for the next 5yrs and one in place for 10 yrs, so they know what they can pay in the future.
For me I dont think we will get AT now but would not say we will be totally out of it. Its up GWS. Kruezer is who I would like. as list needs for next couple of years.

I'm fine on missing out on players if they want ridiculous wages. adams wanted 500k miles is a better player who at max is on 300k. greenwood has been a spud his whole career bar one year yet wants 450/500 again not worth it cellis/Menadue look just as good combined no were near his salary. Jessie white thank god we missed out on that spud.

Actually it is not crap. Its hard to remember since it has been a while we where good enough to make a GF.

Better players win finals not the bottom six. Better players attract value substitutes to replace the lessor lights to.

Remember Swans targeted good players mainly, as did the Hawks after getting Hodge, and then the 2004 crew. From there they traded and Geelong had how many AA's?
Disagree completely. Premierships are won with the teams with the best bottom 6. They are the players who don't hold structures well, have poorer disposal which invariably leads to turnovers and goals. Our top 6 have been as good as anyone's for a while now. We have been slowly improving the bottom 6 for several years and hence our improvement.

Where is that from?

Seems to be a lot of unclear rumours about Bennell so far... One report says hawks in the lead and the next says they've back off, heard similar about Essendon. Only things i've seen with us is a few people (Emma Quayle, Foxsports) saying he could be a good get for us and take us close to flag.

Anyway I have long said Bennell and Redden would be a superior offseason to Treloar.
some reporter might of been scoop not 100% on it tho.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just because I say we should strongly consider getting Treloar does not mean we need to pay him 750K to get him.

Like I said in another post I do not know who is on what and like most I probably do not agree completely with the valuations of some and many within our own list.

Having said that I think Treloar in particular at this particular time is a very valuable commodity not to be underestimated. He is almost a game changer for list management in terms of the list pecking order for the emerging teams in the next 6 years or so taking into account his age given what has happened in the AFL with GWS and GCS over the last 7 years or so.

I do not want us to over pay for anyone but at the same time some players have merit and command special consideration given other considerations such as the environment within the league.

I am happy for us not to pay 750K but it would be good to get him and if it mean't others got a salary boost so be it.

As I said before IMO, in terms of quality and opportunity cost, I would rather Treloar at 750K than Bennell and Redden at $1million because the 250K cannot be underestimated in getting something else like a Weller or whoever.

750K for Treloar seems cheap compared to Boyd for example

This is the point Magic. How can you possibly say that recruiting staff need to be sacked, when you actually agree we should pay 750k for Treloar when we know he is getting offered this type of money (see Adams, Greenwood etc)? If he was prepared to take only 600k would it be automatic he goes to the pies? You actually agree with Richo yet you want him sacked. Magic, your logic doesn't stand up here.

Bullshit!
Matt White @ $330k per year = zero compensation
Matthew Kreuzer @$450k per year = ???
James Frawley @ $600k per year = 1st round pick

If the AFL screw over the Lions on an average salary for a ruckman then it will be an absolute joke.
Shaun Hampson is on $400k, anyone think he'd get close to a 1st rounder?

$450k should get an end of 1st round selection at most
Shaun Higgins is probably getting paid around that amount and he only got the Bulldogs a 2nd rounder

and yes, I understand that there is more to it than just salary, but Kreuzer doesn't have AA selections, amazing B&F results or anything other than he was a former #1 pick. Even Higgins went at Pick 11 which is pretty high.
Hampson isn't on 400k, around 280k

Let's just take Scharenberg from the Pies. :p

I remember Pies fans being unbearable after the 2013 draft when they got Scharenberg, hailing him as the best thing since sliced bread. Would be perfect to poach him.

In terms of ranking who we should look at in regards to importance:

1: Bennell: An absolute gun who adds more versatility to our forward line, genuine pace, mercurial, x factor, and adds genuine scoring power. Another player who can rotate through the midfield.

2: Hartlett: Out and out gun. Fantastic player with poise, class, composure. Disposal is pretty good but can be inconsistent, but is always looking to attack and go forward. Has had injuries but would just cap off our midfield.

3: Aish: Another gun who can play midfield, half forward or half back, and would add even more class to our midfield. Still only 19 (20 in november), so still has a good 10 years of football to play, and allows us to play Dusty and Lids more forward where they are far more dangerous.

4: Redden: Underrated gun. Very good around the stoppages, ferocious tackler, good skills, and can kick a goal. Would slot in perfectly into our midfield.

5: Scharenberg: Will be a very, very good player. Can play midfield or back, and would be a perfect replacement for Morris or Hunt, bumping them into depth players, rather than regulars.

6: Kruezer: Would be a good get, but I think we have time enough to develop a young ruckman in the VFL to take over from Ivan as Vickery and Griffiths have shown they can take some pressure of Ivan. Would be good, but not priority number 1.

7: Yarran: Would be a good get, but shouldn't be in front of Bennell who would play a similar role, if it is true we want yarran as a forward. If the Blues really want a first rounder for him, we should target Bennell instead.

think we are the best club suited for bennel to be honest. have the indigenous centre at punt road,dream time at the g,chocco Williams and have experience managing dusty
hawks will get him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back