Analysis Blair Hartley Project 2015 V - Trade and Free Agency Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I don't think some of you understand Danger's situation. He isn't leaving for money! He's leaving because he wants to live a life in Geelong. Crows will only match so they trade.

For sure. But that does change the dynamic in that Crows (who would probably get pick 16 if they let him go as a FA) would need to get some serious compo that Cats would probably need to trade to acquire.

Would Geelong's 2015 first and 2016 first get him?

Am I seriously the only one who feels that trading McBean has a strong chance of backfiring in the future?

McBean's output at senior level so far is less impressive than was Cleve Hughes's.

He's contracted, so we can just go with him again but if he's unlikely to play 15 games next year he should look elsewhere, for his own sake.

He'd probably be worth pick 30, at most. I'm not a seller at those prices, but they've hardly been busting to get him in the seniors, have they.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Am I the only one who feels that trading McBean has a strong chance of backfiring in the future?

He's so overrated on here. Has potential but done nothing in the seniors albeit little opportunity but same circumstances for McDonough really.

I would rather trade McBean for Yarran than Lennon.

McBean's output at senior level so far is less impressive than was Cleve Hughes's.

He's contracted, so we can just go with him again but if he's unlikely to play 15 games next year he should look elsewhere, for his own sake.

He'd probably be worth pick 30. I'm not a seller at those prices, but they've hardly been busting to get him in the seniors, have they.
But what senior opportunities did he get? A couple of games here and there this year and that is it. I feel that he needs a bigger challenge than that for him to settle into the AFL, and consistent AFL games should do it imo. They could add some size to him too.

I see great potential in him

But what senior opportunities did he get? A couple of games here and there this year and that is it. I feel that he needs a bigger challenge than that for him to settle into the AFL, and consistent AFL games should do it imo. They could add some size to him too.

Id trade Griff and keep McBean. Wouldn't have at the start of the year.

Sure, but it's hard to believe the coaches rate him as indispensable if they won't play him. McDonough ripped it up in the VFL too...

He's so overrated on here. Has potential but done nothing in the seniors albeit little opportunity but same circumstances for McDonough really.

I would rather trade McBean for Yarran than Lennon.
I would also keep Lennon over McBean at this stage, but I'd rather not lose either. For Yarran, I'd give Griffiths. The Riewoldt, Vickery and Griffiths forward line does not work very well IMO, and I wouldn't trade Vickery or Riewoldt

Sure, but it's hard to believe the coaches rate him as indispensable if they won't play him. McDonough ripped it up in the VFL too...
Well, they didn't play Lennon much this year and he is starting to find comfort at AFL level.

All I think is that the smart thing to do is to give him an extended run in the AFL (about 3 games back to back) to see where he is at. I don't think a definitive conclusion can be made of his potential right now

Am I the only one who feels that trading McBean has a strong chance of backfiring in the future?
Nope. I find it staggering really. He came to us as skinny as a rake and was always going to be a 4-5 year project. The fact that he's only played one AFL game is hardly surprising given he's still developing the core strength required to match it at AFL level. I may be wrong but I see him as an exceptional talent and IMO trading him now would be absolutely nuts.

I think the only kpp we can afford to lose is Griffiths. Our depth in defence is shallow, so i wouldnt be trading Astbury.
Also Griffiths has had his fair share of opportunities to grab a game by the scruff of the neck and hasnt.
I like our two tall forward setup with Lids and Lennon in there aswell, add in Yarran and a resting mid and its a formidable forward line.
If we want to stretch sides next year we can throw in Mcbean or Mckenzie if ready.

I think the only kpp we can afford to lose is Griffiths. Our depth in defence is shallow, so i wouldnt be trading Astbury.
Also Griffiths has had his fair share of opportunities to grab a game by the scruff of the neck and hasnt.
I like our two tall forward setup with Lids and Lennon in there aswell, add in Yarran and a resting mid and its a formidable forward line.
If we want to stretch sides next year we can throw in Mcbean or Mckenzie if ready.
This

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back